Last night at two in the morning I woke to find someone had grafted a zombie arm to my left shoulder. I commanded it to move—no response. I jabbed it with my right hand—no response. I threw it against the wall—no response. Would this limb remain forever zombific? Medical literature is conflicted.
The current guidelines for tourniquet use suggest a one-hour maximum for restricted blood flow to upper extremities and a two-hour maximum for lower extremities, but also admit that the onset and degree of tissue death (necrosis) varies according to patient age and physical condition. Past these thresholds, restricted blood flow can result in nerve damage. (The tingling you feel is your nerves’ way of expressing angst—a call to roll over before they get really pissed.)
After four hours without blood flow, wet gangrene and the decomposition of tissue due to stagnant blood trapped in extremities can begin. Generally, your arm will not fall off due to gangrene (as might a finger or a toe); rather, if you allow the infection to progress (the timing of which varies widely), you will be forced to have the arm amputated rather than allowing the infection to become systemic. If not, you will die. Though, this is unlikely to happen to even the soundest sleepers.
The short answer: It’s not good to restrict blood flow for more than about an hour and a half; it’s very, very bad to restrict flow for more than four hours.
I expect comments thanking me for the following illustrative image.
Join me every Monday morning for more grandtastic goodies from The Geeks' Guide to World Domination. Or if you like your geekery delivered fresh, consider subscribing to my rss feed or joining my Facebook Fan Page.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Scientists Discover Oral Sex In Spiders
- How To Make Women's Tennis More Competitive
- The Geology Of Wine
- Matter Can Potentially Accelerate The Expansion Of The Universe
- The Number Of My Publications Has Four Digits
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- "Last references - My three contributed papers for the Proceedings of the INCFP 2015 Conference..."
- "Your case is common, Frumious. But multi-variable calculus is a low-level eighteenth century applied..."
- "Up until college, the educational system did their best to make me fear and loath math. The constant..."
- "Choosing just two of many issues: You can't get what 2+3 or 2*3 are without just taking them from..."
- "But if the vacuum structure around us turns out not to be the same as in empty regions of our Universe..."
- Parents' presence at bedside found to decrease neonatal abstinence syndrome severity
- Breastfeeding app shows promise in supporting first-time mothers
- Study shows asthma-related Twitter posts can predict rise in hospital visits
- Mental health diagnoses rise significantly for military children
- Combination of face-to-face and online bullying may pack a powerful punch