Last night at two in the morning I woke to find someone had grafted a zombie arm to my left shoulder. I commanded it to move—no response. I jabbed it with my right hand—no response. I threw it against the wall—no response. Would this limb remain forever zombific? Medical literature is conflicted.
The current guidelines for tourniquet use suggest a one-hour maximum for restricted blood flow to upper extremities and a two-hour maximum for lower extremities, but also admit that the onset and degree of tissue death (necrosis) varies according to patient age and physical condition. Past these thresholds, restricted blood flow can result in nerve damage. (The tingling you feel is your nerves’ way of expressing angst—a call to roll over before they get really pissed.)
After four hours without blood flow, wet gangrene and the decomposition of tissue due to stagnant blood trapped in extremities can begin. Generally, your arm will not fall off due to gangrene (as might a finger or a toe); rather, if you allow the infection to progress (the timing of which varies widely), you will be forced to have the arm amputated rather than allowing the infection to become systemic. If not, you will die. Though, this is unlikely to happen to even the soundest sleepers.
The short answer: It’s not good to restrict blood flow for more than about an hour and a half; it’s very, very bad to restrict flow for more than four hours.
I expect comments thanking me for the following illustrative image.
Join me every Monday morning for more grandtastic goodies from The Geeks' Guide to World Domination. Or if you like your geekery delivered fresh, consider subscribing to my rss feed or joining my Facebook Fan Page.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Robot Tongue Identifies The Correct Beer Every Time
- Traditional Medicine: Thunder God Vine As Potential Obesity Treatment
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Numenta And IBM To Build Biologically Inspired Intelligent Machines.
- Illegal Immigration To The U.S. Caused By Globalization?
- Brain-Computer Interface Makes Communication For Kids With Cerebral Palsy Easier
- Satellites Catch Birth Of Two Volcanic Islands In Yemen
- "You are seeing firsthand what we have been up against. I just want to say to some of these people..."
- "Ok thanks...."
- "Well I don't know what the background or the reason for it is, but when I did the google scholar..."
- "Is there any chance this would work on bedbugs? They may not normally carry lethal infections..."
- "This is supported by the following study, which itself begged the question of From whence came..."
Books By Writers Here