From July 2nd to the 9th, around a thousand particle physicists visit Valencia to take part in the 37th International Conference on High Energy Physics (ICHEP), which is been held every two years.
Among those attending the Conference will be Alan Guth, the founding father of the cosmic inflation theory which occurred moments after the Big Bang and was recently confirmed through the detection of the effects of the gravitational waves, over the polarization of the cosmic microwave background as it was stated in a study recently published by the BICEP2 experiment and François Englert, co-inventor of the Brout -Englert-Higgs mechanism, which explains the origin of mass and led to postulate the existence of the Higgs boson for which he received the Nobel Prize for Physics in 2013.
One will likely be the BICEP2 experiment, which claimed primary evidence of the cosmic inflation process that occurred in the first moments of the universe after the Big Bang. Particle physicists speculate about the possibility to overcome the current Standard Model in the near future, which according to Juan Fuster, member of the Institute of Corpuscular Physics (CSIC-U Valencia) and co-chairman of the Conference, "even though it explains almost all the measurements made to date in a wide variety of experimental facilities, it still leaves too many questions unanswered which suggests the need to extend and modify it. The ability of new models to overcome these difficulties, such as supersymmetry, technicolor, extra dimensions, etc.., will be contrasted with new experimental data".
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- Keytruda: FDA Approves Melanoma Drug That Uses Immune System To Fight Cancer
- This Type Of Baldness By Age 45 Linked To More Aggressive Prostate Cancer
- Meet Graphene's Sexy New Cousin Germanene
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Reset To Pristine State
- No books for you! City Colleges of Chicago Students.
- Captured: The Sound Of An Atom
- "dog is man's best friend and if you are looking for pet medication there are many websites on the..."
- "You lot here on sciency 2.0 have published a piece that ultimately cites the same sources as does..."
- "While With an online books store one would think it's just a matter of telling the publisher hey..."
- "Hontas:As a side (forked) issue:* You don't actually think that the Hilbert space of QED..."
- "Exactly. The idea is that the binding itself cost so much money. :/ This is at..."
- Study shows consumption of high-fat dairy products is associated with a lower risk of developing diabetes
- Study adds to cancer-fighting promise of combined immunotherapy-radiation treatment
- EEG study findings reveal how fear is processed in the brain
- Smithsonian scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
- Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places