From July 2nd to the 9th, around a thousand particle physicists visit Valencia to take part in the 37th International Conference on High Energy Physics (ICHEP), which is been held every two years.
Among those attending the Conference will be Alan Guth, the founding father of the cosmic inflation theory which occurred moments after the Big Bang and was recently confirmed through the detection of the effects of the gravitational waves, over the polarization of the cosmic microwave background as it was stated in a study recently published by the BICEP2 experiment and François Englert, co-inventor of the Brout -Englert-Higgs mechanism, which explains the origin of mass and led to postulate the existence of the Higgs boson for which he received the Nobel Prize for Physics in 2013.
One will likely be the BICEP2 experiment, which claimed primary evidence of the cosmic inflation process that occurred in the first moments of the universe after the Big Bang. Particle physicists speculate about the possibility to overcome the current Standard Model in the near future, which according to Juan Fuster, member of the Institute of Corpuscular Physics (CSIC-U Valencia) and co-chairman of the Conference, "even though it explains almost all the measurements made to date in a wide variety of experimental facilities, it still leaves too many questions unanswered which suggests the need to extend and modify it. The ability of new models to overcome these difficulties, such as supersymmetry, technicolor, extra dimensions, etc.., will be contrasted with new experimental data".
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Case For Moon: Gateway For Open Ended Exploration, With Planetary Protection Central - On The SpaceShow
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- Why We Get Tired When We Stay Up Too Late
- The Real Cost Of Milk
- When It Comes To Replicating Psychology Studies, Good Luck
- We’re Not In Europe Any More: BfR Statement On EDCs Embraces The Risk-Based Approach
- Prescaled Jet Triggers: The Rationale Of Randomly Picking Events
- "Mi Cro, I happened upon your global temperature charts recently, and want to be sure I understand..."
- "You make good points. I thank you for them. I am enjoying reading your work. I agree that asteroid..."
- "Oh, okay, glad you aren't worried about little asteroids. Yes I agree, I haven't come across that..."
- "Hello Dario,no copies are made of the same event - the triggering and the data storage are two..."
- "Yes, as the numbers are averages, there is this possibility - actually it happens all the time..."
- Ketamine Better than Haloperidol for Sedation Onset But Not Much Else
- TIps & Tricks To Ward Off Ticks
- What is CRISPR-Cas9 and why do we need to know about it?
- Pancreatic Cancer: Surgery Improves Survival in One-third
- Intervention Decreases Adolescents’ Obesity
- What Organic and Chemical Actually Mean: A Glossary of Hijacked Terms
- Science instruments of NASA's James Webb Space Telescope successfully installed
- Tiny wasp sniffs out, picks up 'good vibrations' to battle ash borer
- Abundance inequality in freshwater communities has an ecological origin
- Family size and education levels: The right support could reverse long-held theory
- New water-quality data on impact of corn, soybeans on nitrate in Iowa streams