From July 2nd to the 9th, around a thousand particle physicists visit Valencia to take part in the 37th International Conference on High Energy Physics (ICHEP), which is been held every two years.
Among those attending the Conference will be Alan Guth, the founding father of the cosmic inflation theory which occurred moments after the Big Bang and was recently confirmed through the detection of the effects of the gravitational waves, over the polarization of the cosmic microwave background as it was stated in a study recently published by the BICEP2 experiment and François Englert, co-inventor of the Brout -Englert-Higgs mechanism, which explains the origin of mass and led to postulate the existence of the Higgs boson for which he received the Nobel Prize for Physics in 2013.
One will likely be the BICEP2 experiment, which claimed primary evidence of the cosmic inflation process that occurred in the first moments of the universe after the Big Bang. Particle physicists speculate about the possibility to overcome the current Standard Model in the near future, which according to Juan Fuster, member of the Institute of Corpuscular Physics (CSIC-U Valencia) and co-chairman of the Conference, "even though it explains almost all the measurements made to date in a wide variety of experimental facilities, it still leaves too many questions unanswered which suggests the need to extend and modify it. The ability of new models to overcome these difficulties, such as supersymmetry, technicolor, extra dimensions, etc.., will be contrasted with new experimental data".
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Today's Global Warming Is Nothing Special
- Curiosity Detects Spike In Methane, And Other Organic Molecules, On Mars
- There Was No 'Paleo Diet' - Ancient People Ate What They Had
- Worldwide, Life Expectancy Has Gone Up Over 6 Years Since 1990
- Time To Stop Thinking Of Video Games As Just 'Software'
- Is Big Data Taking Over The Fashion Industry?
- New Limits On VY Production From CDF: Good, But Also Disappointing
- "old news ..."
- "This research has virtually no bearing on the problem of AGW. Survival of early life is not the..."
- "I would have also checked vitamin D status. UVA breaks down vitamin A..."
- "Every day it is becoming harder to subscribe to the 'Fanaticism Of The Apocalypse' as it is applied..."
- "Curious conversation tactic. By the warming in the 1930s I guess you mean the small part of the..."
- The Greenland Ice Sheet: Now in HD
- Expectant fathers experience prenatal hormone changes
- Report: Clearing rainforests distorts wind and water, packs climate wallop beyond carbon
- Electron spin could be the key to high-temperature superconductivity
- Study shows epinephrine auto-injectors and asthma inhalers used incorrectly