From July 2nd to the 9th, around a thousand particle physicists visit Valencia to take part in the 37th International Conference on High Energy Physics (ICHEP), which is been held every two years.
Among those attending the Conference will be Alan Guth, the founding father of the cosmic inflation theory which occurred moments after the Big Bang and was recently confirmed through the detection of the effects of the gravitational waves, over the polarization of the cosmic microwave background as it was stated in a study recently published by the BICEP2 experiment and François Englert, co-inventor of the Brout -Englert-Higgs mechanism, which explains the origin of mass and led to postulate the existence of the Higgs boson for which he received the Nobel Prize for Physics in 2013.
One will likely be the BICEP2 experiment, which claimed primary evidence of the cosmic inflation process that occurred in the first moments of the universe after the Big Bang. Particle physicists speculate about the possibility to overcome the current Standard Model in the near future, which according to Juan Fuster, member of the Institute of Corpuscular Physics (CSIC-U Valencia) and co-chairman of the Conference, "even though it explains almost all the measurements made to date in a wide variety of experimental facilities, it still leaves too many questions unanswered which suggests the need to extend and modify it. The ability of new models to overcome these difficulties, such as supersymmetry, technicolor, extra dimensions, etc.., will be contrasted with new experimental data".
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- The Daily Physics Problem - 4
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- Avoid Showing The Jacksonville Jaguars And Other Ways To Optimize Monday Night Football
- The Daily Physics Problem - 3
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- "Sorry if I'm not answering these questions very well. I find it really really hard to understand..."
- "Are you the previous Anonymous? Please can you add a name to your messages. I can understand being..."
- "Its just scary mr walker to hear about and read about so many are saying its real so many want..."
- "First, can I ask anyone who posts here as Anonymous to give a name, or internet handle of some..."
- "Should we be worried then keep saying September for its arrival and yes its been predicted in the..."
- Netflix Linked To Cancer
- The Ancient Chinese Secret For Removing Age Spots May Be Mercury
- A Closer Look At Dementia — Beyond the Memory Loss
- Solve Global Warming By Putting A Carbon Tax On…Meat?
- Significant Pain Significantly Increases Risk of Opioid Addiction
- What Pee and Poo Color Says About Your Health
- WSU researchers get unprecedented look at DNA damage
- Before animals, evolution waited eons to inhale
- US police killed or injured more than 55,000 people during 'legal interventions' in 2012
- Statins improve birth outcomes for mothers with an autoimmune disorder
- Changes in teenage brain structure provide clues to onset of mental health problems