From July 2nd to the 9th, around a thousand particle physicists visit Valencia to take part in the 37th International Conference on High Energy Physics (ICHEP), which is been held every two years.
Among those attending the Conference will be Alan Guth, the founding father of the cosmic inflation theory which occurred moments after the Big Bang and was recently confirmed through the detection of the effects of the gravitational waves, over the polarization of the cosmic microwave background as it was stated in a study recently published by the BICEP2 experiment and François Englert, co-inventor of the Brout -Englert-Higgs mechanism, which explains the origin of mass and led to postulate the existence of the Higgs boson for which he received the Nobel Prize for Physics in 2013.
One will likely be the BICEP2 experiment, which claimed primary evidence of the cosmic inflation process that occurred in the first moments of the universe after the Big Bang. Particle physicists speculate about the possibility to overcome the current Standard Model in the near future, which according to Juan Fuster, member of the Institute of Corpuscular Physics (CSIC-U Valencia) and co-chairman of the Conference, "even though it explains almost all the measurements made to date in a wide variety of experimental facilities, it still leaves too many questions unanswered which suggests the need to extend and modify it. The ability of new models to overcome these difficulties, such as supersymmetry, technicolor, extra dimensions, etc.., will be contrasted with new experimental data".
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Some Celiac Disease May Be Due To Viruses
- Out Of Africa: What They Do Not Tell Us
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Brain Cancer: Why Glioblastoma Is So Difficult To Treat
- Pubic Hair Grooming Common Among Some US Women
- Little To No Association Between Butter Consumption And Chronic Disease Or Total Mortality
- Thinking 'I Can Do Better' Really Can Improve Performance, Study Finds
- " Media Silent as Concealed Carrier Stops Mass Shooting in Progress at a South Carolina Nightclub..."
- "Thank you for your support - but since the comment you refer to was advocating the shutting down..."
- "Instead of ND, substitute DD, and you have a whole other basket of charlatans - and that comment..."
- " Some parts from my second response to Nina Teicholz article ( http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj..."
- "Science researchers did the CARET study, to see if vitamin A could chemo-prevent lung cancer (it..."
- Study finds that plant growth responses to high carbon dioxide depend on symbiotic fungi
- Telomere length is indicator of blood count recovery in treatment of Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Natural metabolite can suppress inflammation
- New technology helps ID aggressive early breast cancer
- US needs greater preparation for next severe public health threats, panel finds