QUEST is launching a new series on the science of sustainability with a half-hour television special, "Lake Tahoe: Can We Save It?" at 7:30pm on Wed. Oct. 16th.
Award-winning journalist and educator Simran Sethi focuses on the many ways in which science, technology, engineering and sheer ingenuity are being used to address sustainability issues related to food, energy, water, climate and biodiversity.
Simran Sethi. Photo Credit: Amanda Friedman
The program features Geoffrey Schladow, director of the University of California at Davis Tahoe Environmental Research Center (TERC) and TERC’s Brant Allen, who drops a plastic disc into the lake every ten days to monitor its clarity. Also featured are the US Forest Service’s restoration of an important Tahoe wetland, and inspectors who make sure boats don’t carry invasive mussels into the lake.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Most Idiotic Rejection Of Course From Philosopher Of Science Not Grasping Relativity
- Lettuces Now, What Next - Could Astronauts Get All Their Oxygen And Food From Algae Or Plants?
- College Students Know E-cigarettes Aren't Tobacco, Their Professors Are More Confused
- Innate GMO Potato Deregulated By USDA
- Artificial Intelligence: It's Time To Talk About What Emotions We Want AI To Have
- An Historical Moment For Diabetes
- An Argument For Legalizing Doping In Sports
- "This is just warmed-over socialism and amateur Malthusian rhetoric - we have to cull the herd,..."
- "This professor is not confused. Ecigs are no more a tobacco product than Mountain Dew is a coffee..."
- "There is no shortage of technology to 'feed the world' but Fedoroff's techno-optimist fantasy illogically..."
- "The FDA can not approve needed drugs and approves un-needed drugs. One more argument that drug..."
- "Just adding a thought here. This is to do with the idea of adapting BIOS-3 and also crop growing..."
- Fish oil diet versus gut microbes
- Naps linked to reduced blood pressure and fewer medications
- Why girls are less interested in computer science: Classrooms are too 'geeky'
- Frogs make irrational choices - and what means for understanding animal mating
- Depression, blood pressure extremes predict highest rates of vascular events