A group of editors and producers formerly of NBC, Psychology Today, Nature and Discover have teamed up to launch a new magazine - but it's a little different than traditional science magazines.
They intend to pick a story and then tackle it from a science, culture and philosophy perspective. They will choose a new topic every month and publish a new chapter every Thursday and include reported features, narrative non-fiction, essays, blog posts and interviews, along with fiction, graphic stories, and interactive widgets and games.
The first issue tackles "What Makes You So Special". A Buddhist is next to astrobiologists who are next to neurologists and short story writers and illustrators all tackling our place in the cosmos.
"With our multi-disciplinary and multi-media storytelling, Nautilus will provide distinctive literary and visual access to the most profound questions in science, and illuminate their importance to our lives," says publisher John Steele, formerly of the IMG global sports and media business, the Critheann Entertainment agency and testing firm Pearson. "Everyone from the scientist to the scholar to the intellectually curious will be engaged by Nautilus' probing style."
Nautilus received financial support from a John Templeton Foundation grant.
It's hard in media as a standalone, no one knows that better than me, so I wish Nautilus the best.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Yellowstone Volcanic System Four Times Bigger Than Thought
- Columbia's Lame Oz Defense
- The Evolutionary Psychology Reason Some People Will Be Anti-GMO
- Pictures Of March 20th Eclipse From Svalbard
- Poison As Medicine And How Venom Can Sometimes Be A Savior
- It Shouldn't Be There: Henize 2-10 And The Cosmic Conundrum
- A Paper on Leptonic CP violation
- "Good discussion. One would think that any sensible person could smell the snake oil even through..."
- "That is true. Matthew proposed it as a hypothesis. He actually invited naturalists to test it by..."
- "It is an absolute shame that such a brilliant doctor is being crucified in the media, although..."
- "I've got to say that I reserve some measure of awe at the P.T. Barnum gall some people have. Belle..."
- "I don’t often comment on blogs, however I feel compelled to offer my two cents from the peanut..."
- Conservation win: Hawaiian Honeycreeper hatches its way back from the brink of extinction
- Despite pediatric guidelines, babies as young as 6 months using mobile media
- Fat finding: Target brown fat and you target obesity
- Combined brachytherapy techniques should be 'benchmark' for cervical cancer treatment
- First liquid nanolaser developed