No matter where we are on the political spectrum, we all have the same underlying goals and behaviors: The pursuit of happiness, the American dream etc. This is, at the very least, the way psychologists had viewed political ideology for quite some time. However, new research may have identified the characteristics that lead us to lean ideologically to the left or right and it may be genetic.
New York University psychologist John Jost will present his research at the Association for Psychological Science’s 19th annual convention in Washington, DC, May 24-27th.
Jost states that current political realities, data from the American National Election Studies, and recent psychological findings provide strong grounds for revisiting the topic of ideology after years of neglect.
He says that numerous variables affect the degree to which people are drawn to conservative versus liberal thinking but that 90 percent of college students can place their political beliefs on a liberal/conservative scale and that those beliefs influence how they vote in elections.
Jost uses a study of twins to state that part of ideology may be genetically based. Identical twins have similar political beliefs more often than fraternal twins.
Societal factors are the strongest influence, he says. People who feel unsafe are more likely to move toward conservative positions.
Or, as my daddy always said, "A Republican is just a Democrat who got mugged."
Source: Association for Psychological Science
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Family Holiday Survival: 12 Ways To Deal With That Climate Change Denier
- A Vegetarian Carnivorous Plant...Wait, What?
- Falsifiability And The Integrity Of Physics
- Wave-Particle Duality And Quantum Uncertainty - Two Sides Of The Same Mystery?
- Dr. Ozvorkian And The Amoebas
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- How Does Prostate Cancer Happen?
- "Glad someone finally is calling out this clowns. String theory is pure math, and has no testable..."
- "Michael Martinez: 1-in-6 Americans can expect to be needlessly killed by their doctors. You can't..."
- "There is no definitive proof that irrefutably confirms that humans didn't exist 400,000 years ago..."
- "As a layman, I have some faith in Einstien. The reasons are because the well established experimental..."
- "When I run into the religious Climate Change believers I just start showing them one of the dozens..."
- Air pollution linked to congenital defects
- Blocking excessive division of mitochondria reduces liver cell death in cholestasis
- The math of how decisiona 'cascade' in social networks
- iPads and other Light-emitting e-readers detrimentally shift circadian clock
- Cope with climate change by shape-shifting