No matter where we are on the political spectrum, we all have the same underlying goals and behaviors: The pursuit of happiness, the American dream etc. This is, at the very least, the way psychologists had viewed political ideology for quite some time. However, new research may have identified the characteristics that lead us to lean ideologically to the left or right and it may be genetic.
New York University psychologist John Jost will present his research at the Association for Psychological Science’s 19th annual convention in Washington, DC, May 24-27th.
Jost states that current political realities, data from the American National Election Studies, and recent psychological findings provide strong grounds for revisiting the topic of ideology after years of neglect.
He says that numerous variables affect the degree to which people are drawn to conservative versus liberal thinking but that 90 percent of college students can place their political beliefs on a liberal/conservative scale and that those beliefs influence how they vote in elections.
Jost uses a study of twins to state that part of ideology may be genetically based. Identical twins have similar political beliefs more often than fraternal twins.
Societal factors are the strongest influence, he says. People who feel unsafe are more likely to move toward conservative positions.
Or, as my daddy always said, "A Republican is just a Democrat who got mugged."
Source: Association for Psychological Science
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- The Daily Physics Problem - 4
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- Avoid Showing The Jacksonville Jaguars And Other Ways To Optimize Monday Night Football
- The Daily Physics Problem - 3
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- "It just seems a bit weird how nobody from nasa are saying its not real no astronomers are saying..."
- "Thanks for the encouragement. It gets a bit tough at times. I can certainly understand why few..."
- "Sorry if I'm not answering these questions very well. I find it really really hard to understand..."
- "Are you the previous Anonymous? Please can you add a name to your messages, as it would be a great..."
- "Its just scary mr walker to hear about and read about so many are saying its real so many want..."
- Netflix Linked To Cancer
- The Ancient Chinese Secret For Removing Age Spots May Be Mercury
- A Closer Look At Dementia — Beyond the Memory Loss
- Solve Global Warming By Putting A Carbon Tax On…Meat?
- Significant Pain Significantly Increases Risk of Opioid Addiction
- What Pee and Poo Color Says About Your Health
- WSU researchers get unprecedented look at DNA damage
- Before animals, evolution waited eons to inhale
- US police killed or injured more than 55,000 people during 'legal interventions' in 2012
- Statins improve birth outcomes for mothers with an autoimmune disorder
- Changes in teenage brain structure provide clues to onset of mental health problems