No matter where we are on the political spectrum, we all have the same underlying goals and behaviors: The pursuit of happiness, the American dream etc. This is, at the very least, the way psychologists had viewed political ideology for quite some time. However, new research may have identified the characteristics that lead us to lean ideologically to the left or right and it may be genetic.
New York University psychologist John Jost will present his research at the Association for Psychological Science’s 19th annual convention in Washington, DC, May 24-27th.
Jost states that current political realities, data from the American National Election Studies, and recent psychological findings provide strong grounds for revisiting the topic of ideology after years of neglect.
He says that numerous variables affect the degree to which people are drawn to conservative versus liberal thinking but that 90 percent of college students can place their political beliefs on a liberal/conservative scale and that those beliefs influence how they vote in elections.
Jost uses a study of twins to state that part of ideology may be genetically based. Identical twins have similar political beliefs more often than fraternal twins.
Societal factors are the strongest influence, he says. People who feel unsafe are more likely to move toward conservative positions.
Or, as my daddy always said, "A Republican is just a Democrat who got mugged."
Source: Association for Psychological Science
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Hubble Spots Europa Geysers Again - How They Did It - And What Next? Flyby? Lander?
- Simple Saliva Test To Diagnose Asthma
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- Global Warming Has Made Global Warming Harder To Show
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- How Did Early Earth Stay Warm? Greenhouse Gases
- Why Psychology Lost Its Soul - Science Replaced It
- "So were is nibiru then Mr walker its not here at the minute but that does not mean its not coming..."
- "Oh, did you know that the standard theory is that the universe is expanding? That's a discovery..."
- "Unfortunately you are right. As we have seen with FDA picking and choosing select journalists who..."
- "So your honestly saying that nothing is going to happen at all by this.Casey ..."
- "The left bases a persons dedication to science strictly on how many of their beliefs you wholeheartedly..."
- Ben & Jerry’s Asks Us to Take Big Lick of Fear & Hype
- A Cocktail of Wild Viruses Treats Bacterial Wound Infections in Mice
- The Scientific Advisors at Theranos Won't (or Can't) Talk
- Suppressing Coughs at Tonight's Presidential Debate
- Suppressing Cough at Tonight's Presidential Debate
- How Smoking Causes Heartaches