Penguin guano in the Antarctic is adding to organic pollutant problems there, according to a report to be featured in a Royal Society of Chemistry publication.
Adrian Covaci at the University of Antwerp, Belgium, and colleagues found unexpectedly high levels of organic pollutants in the soil around a colony of non-migratory Adelie penguins in the Antarctic.
Concerns about organic pollutant levels in the Antarctic have led to intensive studies into how they reach this remote region, said Covaci. The pollutants originate from man-made sources such as organochlorine pesticides and brominated flame retardants, he explained. The routes through which they normally travel are air and ocean currents. Recent studies have shown that migrating birds can also transport organic pollutants to the Antarctic in their body tissues, added Covaci.
Covaci’s study shows that non-migratory penguins are also redistributing organic contaminants on a local scale, resulting in levels 10 to 100 fold higher than expected in the soil around their colonies.
Covaci suggests that penguins are initially exposed to the contaminants by eating polluted fish, which have been contaminated through the food chain. Bioaccumulation means that the penguins have high levels of contaminants in their bodies.
The soil around the colony is then contaminated by penguin guano and carcasses.
Source: Penguin colonies as secondary sources of contamination with persistent organic pollutants
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- Chess is Smart and Sexy! The Mysterious Psychology of Chess Intelligence 1/3
- Baby Boomers Unbound: Marijuana Surges In The Elderly
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Running Sounds May Contain Clues To Injury Prevention
- "I to have been told to give up my job take my kids out of school and spend the last bit of precious..."
- "That's really sad. The reason that you get the unpaid videos there is because people who read those..."
- "Some are not getting paid tho for there videos mr walker these people are so certain that its real..."
- "Thanks, glad to have helped :)...."
- "It's a hoax and it is not real. The people who say it is real are confused, or hoaxing or lying..."
- Paper Scandal at Science? Microbeads Lying In the Weeds. With A Stolen Computer.
- Honey, Please Pass The High Fructose Corn Syrup
- A stolen computer and the scandal of a high profile paper
- Need Some Zzzs? How Good Are The 'Z' Sleeping Pills?
- Honey? Please.
- Environmentalists In Cancun: Gene Drives Will Cause Our Extinction, Now Pass The Caviar