Penguin guano in the Antarctic is adding to organic pollutant problems there, according to a report to be featured in a Royal Society of Chemistry publication.
Adrian Covaci at the University of Antwerp, Belgium, and colleagues found unexpectedly high levels of organic pollutants in the soil around a colony of non-migratory Adelie penguins in the Antarctic.
Concerns about organic pollutant levels in the Antarctic have led to intensive studies into how they reach this remote region, said Covaci. The pollutants originate from man-made sources such as organochlorine pesticides and brominated flame retardants, he explained. The routes through which they normally travel are air and ocean currents. Recent studies have shown that migrating birds can also transport organic pollutants to the Antarctic in their body tissues, added Covaci.
Covaci’s study shows that non-migratory penguins are also redistributing organic contaminants on a local scale, resulting in levels 10 to 100 fold higher than expected in the soil around their colonies.
Covaci suggests that penguins are initially exposed to the contaminants by eating polluted fish, which have been contaminated through the food chain. Bioaccumulation means that the penguins have high levels of contaminants in their bodies.
The soil around the colony is then contaminated by penguin guano and carcasses.
Source: Penguin colonies as secondary sources of contamination with persistent organic pollutants
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- Why We Get Tired When We Stay Up Too Late
- When It Comes To Replicating Psychology Studies, Good Luck
- Evidence Of Link Between Childhood Cancer And Phototherapy For Jaundice Examined
- Sexual Harassment in Science What Have We Learned (OP ED)
- How Does Obesity Cause Disease In Organs Distant From Those Where Fat Accumulates?
- Mass Killings: Extremism Or Insanity?
- "Are you ever going to get a job, or is part of your therapy spamming and trolling people who actually..."
- "I found a nice quote of yours regarding ACSH but took the liberty of editing a few words to make..."
- "DHMO is a very dangerous chemical, known to give you burns when heated, and it is able to self..."
- "This is pure, unmitigated nonsense. ..."
- "No, I am not saying a lack of belief will result in research showing something does not work. There..."