Using a super-sensitive camera/spectrometer on the Herschel Space Observatory, astronomers have mapped the skies as they appeared 10 billion years ago, giving them a better look at the bright galaxies in the distant universe that appear to be forming stars at phenomenal rates.
They found that these glistening galaxies preferentially occupy regions of the universe containing more dark matter and that collisions probably caused the abundant star production. Results of the research were published in Astronomy&Astrophysics.
"Thanks to the superb resolution and sensitivity of the SPIRE [Spectral&Photometric Imaging Receiver] instrument on Herschel, we managed to map in detail the spatial distribution of massively star-forming galaxies in the early universe," said Asantha Cooray, UC Irvine associate professor of astronomy. "All indications are that these galaxies are... crashing, merging and possibly settling down at centers of large dark-matter halos."
This information will enable scientists to adapt conventional theories of galaxy formation to accommodate the strange, star-filled versions.
The European Space Agency's Herschel observatory carries the largest astronomical telescope operating in space today; it collects data at far-infrared wavelengths invisible to the naked eye.
One of three cameras on Herschel, SPIRE has let Cooray and colleagues survey large areas of the sky – about 60 times the size of the full moon – in the constellations of Ursa Major and Draco.
The data analyzed in this study was among the first to come from the Herschel Multi-Tiered Extragalactic Survey, the space observatory's largest project. UCI is one of only four U.S. educational institutions involved in Herschel using the SPIRE instrument.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Acceptance Of Evolution Is Far Higher Than Acceptance Of Other Biology
- Hardwired For Miscommunication? Why Women Think Sex When Men Just Want To Be Friends
- Extended Telomeres Slow Cell Aging
- Prevent Alzheimer's Disease By Drinking Beer?
- Planck on BICEP2 "It turns out that the part of the dust had been significantly underestimated."
- Alternative Milk: Are You Pouring Unnatural Additives On Your Cereal?
- Vitamin Water And Energy Drink Nutrient Supplements Have No Benefit
- "Was statistical back testing done? That is, did EMBERS detect power laws, e.g., frequency or size..."
- "it is not just 'government-funded scientists who vote Democrat. it is almost all scientists, and..."
- "I am thinking about it since I need to start doing female rodent studies. The major issue..."
- "I hadn't, and I would love to see a real article on why using both sexes are an impediment. I have..."
- "Hank,Here is a prime example of the stupidity you bring up.http://nexus.od.nih.gov/all/2014/12/09/following..."