Anti-depressants are having a bad decade. They've been increasingly implicated in acts of violence - it used to be that if a person had been treated by multiple therapists, society had done its part, and now society wonders if over-medicating and creating too many psychological labels are the problem rather than the solution.
Now antidepressants are increasingly linked to obesity.
As detailed in JAMA Psychiatry, Sarah R. Blumenthal, B.S., Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, and colleagues analyzed electronic health records from a large New England health care system to collect prescribing data and recorded weights for adult patients (age 18 to 65 years) prescribed one of 11 common antidepressants. The potential health consequences could be significant because more than 10 percent of Americans are prescribed an antidepressant at any given time, while obesity is associated with a host of medical conditions, including cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.
The authors identified 22,610 adults - 19,244 adults treated with an antidepressant for at least three months and 3,366 who received a nonpsychiatric intervention. Compared with the antidepressant citalopram, patients treated with bupropion, amitriptyline and nortriptyline had a decreased rate of weight gain.
“Taken together, our results clearly demonstrate significant differences between several individual antidepressant strategies in their propensity to contribute to weight gain. While the absolute magnitude of such differences is relatively modest, these differences may lead clinicians to prefer certain treatments according to patient preference or in individuals for whom weight gain is a particular concern,” they write.
Citation: JAMA Psychiatry, June 4, 2014. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2014.414
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Lichen: Apparently Happy Couple Really A Threesome
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- People Estimate Their Own Abilities Based On Others' Performance
- US Could Feed Twice As Many People - If Only Elites Eat Meat
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- "You sir havent got a leg to stand on and should be ashamed of yourself you no its real deep down..."
- "Your information sir is well out of date do you think people have not seen this information before..."
- "Thank you for your long article. I did not read it all because it was too long. But I'm not sure..."
- "Sorry, Tommaso, but the kind of problems ...Consider all thinkable physics- and detector-related..."
- "Dear, sir you are obviously furiously trying to get your book out before you are branded a fraud..."
- Unusual new zoantharian species is the first described solitary species in over 100 years
- Scientists develop painless and inexpensive microneedle system to monitor drugs
- Parasite proteins prompt immune system to fight off ovarian tumors in mice
- Behavioral activation as effective as CBT for depression, at lower cost
- The Lancet: Simpler, cheaper psychological treatment as effective as cognitive behavioural therapy for treating depression