Anti-depressants are having a bad decade. They've been increasingly implicated in acts of violence - it used to be that if a person had been treated by multiple therapists, society had done its part, and now society wonders if over-medicating and creating too many psychological labels are the problem rather than the solution.
Now antidepressants are increasingly linked to obesity.
As detailed in JAMA Psychiatry, Sarah R. Blumenthal, B.S., Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, and colleagues analyzed electronic health records from a large New England health care system to collect prescribing data and recorded weights for adult patients (age 18 to 65 years) prescribed one of 11 common antidepressants. The potential health consequences could be significant because more than 10 percent of Americans are prescribed an antidepressant at any given time, while obesity is associated with a host of medical conditions, including cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.
The authors identified 22,610 adults - 19,244 adults treated with an antidepressant for at least three months and 3,366 who received a nonpsychiatric intervention. Compared with the antidepressant citalopram, patients treated with bupropion, amitriptyline and nortriptyline had a decreased rate of weight gain.
“Taken together, our results clearly demonstrate significant differences between several individual antidepressant strategies in their propensity to contribute to weight gain. While the absolute magnitude of such differences is relatively modest, these differences may lead clinicians to prefer certain treatments according to patient preference or in individuals for whom weight gain is a particular concern,” they write.
Citation: JAMA Psychiatry, June 4, 2014. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2014.414
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- "anti-fascists like me and dykes like you OK, I'm now deeply disturbed. I did not think it..."
- "so I don't need to warn my family about nibiru then because nothing is going to happen..."
- "Gauss had a white penisDamn- that's a great line...."
- "No,. there is no way it could slip through. We have surveyed the solar system far too thoroughly..."
- "It's not being silly to believe stuff you've read on the internet. I've been taken in a few times..."
- Special issue of Future Medicinal Chemistry explores the diverse field of chemical biology
- Fish could have emotions and consciousness
- New report outlines benefits and trade-offs of low-carbon energy
- Changing labor laws may hurt public employees' clout in presidential election, study finds
- Drug-resistant bacteria carried by nursing home patients focus of study