Water has been detected on Mars in the form of permafrost and there is strong evidence that liquid water was a major component of the martian surface in the past.
Clays are an important mineral group for discovering the past on Mars, not only to the presence of water, since clays are hydrous minerals, but they also provide clues as to the source, type, and volume of fluids, along with indications of timescale and mineral alteration. If you are going to search for textural and chemical biosignatures, clay is a good place to start.
A conspicuous biomorphic ovoid structure has been discovered in the Nakhla martian meteorite, made of nanocrystalline iron-rich saponitic clay and amorphous material. It is indigenous to Nakhla, contains a variety of minerals, and shows evidence of undergoing a past shock event from impact, with resulting melting of the permafrost and mixing of surface and subsurface fluids.
Transmitted light photomicrographs taken in plane polarized light (uncrossed Nicols) of the ovoid structure in Nakhla, highlighting its petrographic context and its distinctive dark reddish-orange to brownish color (inset image is slightly magnified). (a) Overview photomicrograph. The ovoid structure is situated inside a small late-forming pocket of mesostasis materials that is interstitial to two clinopyroxene crystals (Cpx). In detail, the ovoid exhibits a sharp contact with the adjacent amorphous mesostasis phase [see M in inset and in (b) and (c)], which is identified as rhyolitic glass. The opaque phases are Ti magnetite (Mt) and rhoenite (Rho). (b, c) Close-up photomicrographs from (a). Black arrows in photomicrograph (b) indicate conspicuous, orange-stained microchannel features in clinopyroxene rims. White arrows in photomicrograph (c) indicate fractures in the mesostasis M that are stained with iron oxide/hydroxide material (orange to yellow hues) and that extend up to the ovoid structure. Credit:
Based on the results of a broad range of analytical studies to determine the origin of this new structure, scientists present the competing hypotheses for how this ovoid formed.
Using electron microscopy, x-ray, and spectroscopy to analyze the ovoid structure, they believe they can point to the most likely conclusion.
While the authors do not believe the formation of this structure involved biological materials, that is a possible hypothesis, and they note that evidence exists supporting the presence of niche environments in the Martian subsurface that could support life.
Chatzitheodoridis Elias, Haigh Sarah, and Lyon Ian, 'A Conspicuous Clay Ovoid in Nakhla: Evidence for Subsurface Hydrothermal Alteration on Mars with Implications for Astrobiology', Astrobiology, August 2014, 14(8): 651-693. doi:10.1089/ast.2013.1069.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Rush To Be Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Bizarre Forelimb Evolution In Ancient Drepanosaurus Fossil
- The Social Psychology of Presidential Election Polls, Part 1 of 2
- Ground Squirrels Use The Sun To Hide Food
- Paleo: In A Clinical Trial, Bread Made With Ancient Grains Could Benefit Heart Health
- Study Explains Mechanisms Behind Glioblastoma Influence On The Immune System
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- "No, no cause for concern at all :). It's just a new moon, such as happens once a month. When the..."
- "Nice quote! I googled around for this a bit more and stumbled on a graph that showed earth's energy..."
- "hey robert you ta knowing that tomorrow will be a phenomenon on the moon called black moon ???..."
- "Oh, that's a really interesting point, hadn't thought of that. I agree! Perhaps the most advanced..."
- "Yes that's what I'm saying :). If you want more reassurance do message me on quora, quite a few..."
- Kratom Is A Drug By Any Measure - Treat It Like One
- San Francisco Soda Tax: A Feel-Good Policy Based on Junk Science
- Watson and Crick did not discover DNA
- Is Parenting Kids of Human and Canine Persuasion the Same? Yes!
- Diabetes: MiniMed 670G Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin System Is A Waypoint To An Artificial Pancreas
- Celebrate Oktoberfest with Beer Chemistry
- 51 U.S. House Members Urges DEA To Delay "Hasty" Ban On Natural Herbal Supplement Kratom
- Women are a quarter of the 1 percent
- Wetlands and agriculture, not fossil fuels, behind the global rise in methane
- Mass immigration is correlated to higher levels of crime, but not causal
- How would you like a kitchen surface that cleans itself?