Body hair in mammals is typically thought to have evolved to keep us warm in colder prehistoric periods but in elephants it may do the opposite. A new study contends epidermal hair may have evolved to help the animals keep cool in the hot regions they live in.
Low surface densities of hair can help dissipate heat but the biological and evolutionary significance of sparse skin hair is not well known. The authors of the new paper studied the effects of skin hair densities in Asian and African elephants on thermoregulation in these animals, and concluded that elephant skin hair significantly enhances their capacity to keep cool under different scenarios like higher daytime temperatures or less windy days.
Their research suggests that the dense body hair of furry animals helps with insulation, but as skin hair grows sparser, a tipping point is reached where, for animals such as elephants, skin hair begins to help release heat from the body rather than retain it.
Skin hair on African and Asian elephants. Credit: doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0047018
According to the authors, elephants have the greatest need for such heat loss to maintain a constant body temperature, since they are large terrestrial mammals that live in hot climates. Their results are the first to suggest that animal hairs could play a role in heat dissipation that could be beneficial to certain animals, like elephants.
Elie Bou-Zeid, corresponding author on the study, says "Sparse hair increases heat dissipation from the skin of elephants and help the largest terrestrial mammal meet its thermoregulation needs."
Citation: Myhrvold CL, Stone HA, Bou-Zeid E (2012) What Is the Use of Elephant Hair? PLoS ONE 7(10): e47018. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0047018
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Study Shows Men Attracted to Transgender Women are NOT Gay. DUH!
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- "I no u put the link up of the soho cam but if nibiru was at the back of the sun we couldn't be..."
- "Okay those mysterious trumpet like sounds get trotted out for every Apocalypse story. They played..."
- "some are saying that's why there is so many videos on youtube so the whole world can see nibiru..."
- "Thanks Zee, and good point about trolls. Including people who like scaring other people just because..."
- "Potentially you could have a test tube sort of structure almost to the surface where a liquid is..."
- Tiny octopods catalyze bright ideas
- DNA repair protein BRCA1 implicated in cognitive function and dementia
- Research: Supervised injection facilities would be cost-effective in Toronto and Ottawa
- Reduced blood flow seen in brain after clinical recovery of acute concussion
- MRI reveals weight loss protects knees