Body hair in mammals is typically thought to have evolved to keep us warm in colder prehistoric periods but in elephants it may do the opposite. A new study contends epidermal hair may have evolved to help the animals keep cool in the hot regions they live in.
Low surface densities of hair can help dissipate heat but the biological and evolutionary significance of sparse skin hair is not well known. The authors of the new paper studied the effects of skin hair densities in Asian and African elephants on thermoregulation in these animals, and concluded that elephant skin hair significantly enhances their capacity to keep cool under different scenarios like higher daytime temperatures or less windy days.
Their research suggests that the dense body hair of furry animals helps with insulation, but as skin hair grows sparser, a tipping point is reached where, for animals such as elephants, skin hair begins to help release heat from the body rather than retain it.
Skin hair on African and Asian elephants. Credit: doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0047018
According to the authors, elephants have the greatest need for such heat loss to maintain a constant body temperature, since they are large terrestrial mammals that live in hot climates. Their results are the first to suggest that animal hairs could play a role in heat dissipation that could be beneficial to certain animals, like elephants.
Elie Bou-Zeid, corresponding author on the study, says "Sparse hair increases heat dissipation from the skin of elephants and help the largest terrestrial mammal meet its thermoregulation needs."
Citation: Myhrvold CL, Stone HA, Bou-Zeid E (2012) What Is the Use of Elephant Hair? PLoS ONE 7(10): e47018. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0047018
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Medical Education And Sneetches With Stars
- Proof That HL Tau Image Shows Forming Planets
- Fat Bloom Process On Chocolate Gets The Synchrotron Treatment
- How Exceptional Teachers Use Creativity In The Classroom
- Metformin Can Prevent The Onset Of Diabetes, But It Is Rarely Used
- Dam Removal Study Reveals River Resiliency
- You've Heard The Bad About Viruses - Here's The Good
- "By the way, i think that the following link, that still remains quite active, makes me laugh hard..."
- " Can you say: Biased Reporting,,, try,,,, I know you can. Give it up Hank, take one side or the..."
- "While I agree with some of what you say, and certainly empathize with the struggles of someone..."
- "It's not recent, it has been discussed for as long as there has been a church. Kepler was a Young..."
- "Ok, from the scientific point of view it would be interesting to test our prediction capabilities..."