Earlier this month, the Epic Electric American Road Trip, a 24-day, 12,183-mile battery-powered journey sponsored by electric vehicle (EV) software and information services company Recargo Inc., was completed.
They expect to be awarded Guinness World Record verification for the longest vehicle journey ever taken using 100% electric power. The goal was to emphasize the possibilities of the nation's current electric vehicle charging infrastructure.
Norman Hajjar, Managing Director of Recargo's driver research division, PlugInsights, crossed the finish line in a stock Tesla Model S sedan. At the trip's end, Norman had ventured across a 27-state route spanning the four corners of the lower 48 states: Washington, Maine, Florida, and California, ending at Recargo's offices in Venice, California. Hajjar took advantage of Tesla's newly built, proprietary string of cross-country "Supercharger" stations, in order to make the coast-to-coast electric venture.
Credit: Recargo Inc.
Hajjar navigated via PlugShare, the company's mobile app directory of public electric vehicle charging stations which helps drivers pinpoint charging locations from a database of over 48,000 worldwide. The Epic Electric American Road Trip was powered by a new version of PlugShare for Tesla drivers, uniquely adapted to the Model S's 17" touch screen monitor.
"We wanted to illustrate what's possible with the nation's charging infrastructure, and draw attention to needs for further improvement," said Hajjar. "The plausibility of a mass switch to EV usage in America simply can't be separated from the need for a robust fast-charging network. I've traveled over 12,000 miles in under 3.5 weeks. With the proper infrastructure, there's nothing an EV can't do."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- "Imaginary Bullshit Planet" Nibiru - Lens Flares, Sun Mirages, Hoaxes & Just Plain Silly
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- New Open-access Data On Paleofloods
- Canuckosaur! Not The Name Of The First Canadian Dinosaur, But It Should Be
- 140 dead in Paris. Distance from South Korea to New York shrinks by 5,000 miles.
- Study Shows Men Attracted to Transgender Women are NOT Gay. DUH!
- "Hi Thank you for all the positive logic. I've been so worried I've been to see my Gp so any reassurance..."
- "wat I don't get is y the date keeps changing ive just read it could be tomorrow then its December..."
- "The whole thing, astronomically, is just nonsense. If someone just said, say, that some ancient..."
- "On a first reading, I saw the tiltle as Paleofoods. ..."
- "To make things clearer (since it was not stated until near the end of the article), Dimetrodon..."
- New study suggests angler education can benefit sharks
- Aging star's weight loss secret revealed
- Drowned starlings puzzle scientists
- Breast MRI after mammography may identify additional aggressive cancers
- Breast cancer clinic attributes increased uptake of double mastectomies to Angelina Jolie effect