Earlier this month, the Epic Electric American Road Trip, a 24-day, 12,183-mile battery-powered journey sponsored by electric vehicle (EV) software and information services company Recargo Inc., was completed.
They expect to be awarded Guinness World Record verification for the longest vehicle journey ever taken using 100% electric power. The goal was to emphasize the possibilities of the nation's current electric vehicle charging infrastructure.
Norman Hajjar, Managing Director of Recargo's driver research division, PlugInsights, crossed the finish line in a stock Tesla Model S sedan. At the trip's end, Norman had ventured across a 27-state route spanning the four corners of the lower 48 states: Washington, Maine, Florida, and California, ending at Recargo's offices in Venice, California. Hajjar took advantage of Tesla's newly built, proprietary string of cross-country "Supercharger" stations, in order to make the coast-to-coast electric venture.
Credit: Recargo Inc.
Hajjar navigated via PlugShare, the company's mobile app directory of public electric vehicle charging stations which helps drivers pinpoint charging locations from a database of over 48,000 worldwide. The Epic Electric American Road Trip was powered by a new version of PlugShare for Tesla drivers, uniquely adapted to the Model S's 17" touch screen monitor.
"We wanted to illustrate what's possible with the nation's charging infrastructure, and draw attention to needs for further improvement," said Hajjar. "The plausibility of a mass switch to EV usage in America simply can't be separated from the need for a robust fast-charging network. I've traveled over 12,000 miles in under 3.5 weeks. With the proper infrastructure, there's nothing an EV can't do."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Could A Star Orbit A Planet? - Just For Fun
- Supertranslations And Eternal Ghosts: Black Holes No Closer To Being Understood
- Bel's Temple in Palmyra Is No More
- Blade Runner: The Science In The Fiction
- Highlights From ICNFP 2015
- If Happy Meal Law Passes, NYC Kids Will Frown
- Innate GMO Potato Deregulated By USDA
- "I should say that I am pissed off, and at the same time I feel ashamed as I do seem to care more..."
- "Could the Run 251244 Event 204117665 pp -> ZZ -> 2e2mu = 4L event be due to a Higgs mass state..."
- "There doesn't appear to be a particularly notable degree of collegiality here. Science isn't a..."
- "It is hard to admit it, but the suffering and death of civilians in Syria and elsewhere usually..."
- "We are living 21 century, everybody are thinking invention new technology. In this situation this..."
- Not All Expensive Drugs Are Equal
- Conundrum Confronts DCIS Breast Cancer Patients
- Germany Rightly Skewered for GMO Nonsense; Kudos for WSJ
- Expect Only Frowns if Silly Happy Meal Law Passes
- “Shock Therapy” – Not a Cuckoo’s Nest, a Valid Depression Rx
- Innate: Simplot genetically engineered potato gets USDA nod for deregulation
- Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider confirms tiny drops of early universe 'perfect' fluid
- Magnetic fields provide a new way to communicate wirelessly
- With tobacco, what you don't know can kill you sooner
- Isthminia panamensis: New species of ancient river dolphin discovered
- Smoking prevalence stays the same but people who want to quit are up