ESA’s GOCE gravity satellite has provided us with the first high-resolution map of the boundary between Earth’s crust and mantle – the Mohorovičić discontinuity, or Moho.
Earth’s crust, as you know, is the outermost solid shell of our planet. Even though it makes up less than 1% of the volume of the planet, the crust is exceptionally important not just because we live on it, but because is the place where all our geological resources like natural gas, oil and minerals come from. The crust and upper mantle is also the place where most geological processes of great importance occur, such as earthquakes, volcanism and orogeny.
It seems common knowledge now but it is only in the last century we discovered Earth has a crust. In 1909, Croatian seismologist Andrija Mohorovičić found that at about a hundred miles underground there is a sudden change in 'seismic speed'. Ever since, that boundary between Earth’s crust and underlying mantle has been known as the Mohorovičić discontinuity, commonly shortened to Moho.
GOCE's map of the global Mohorovičić discontinuity – known as Moho - the boundary between the crust and the mantle, ranging from about 70 km in depth in mountainous areas, like the Himalayas, to 10 km beneath the ocean floor. Credits: GEMMA project
Even today, almost all we know about Earth’s deep layers comes from two methods: seismic and gravimetric. Seismic methods are based on observing changes in the propagation velocity of seismic waves between the crust and mantle. Gravimetry looks at the gravitational effect due to the density difference caused by the changing composition of crust and mantle.
But the Moho models based on seismic or gravity data are usually limited by poor data coverage or data being only available along single profiles. The GOCE Exploitation for Moho Modelling and Applications project – or GEMMA – has now generated the first global high-resolution map of the boundary between Earth’s crust and mantle based on data from the GOCE satellite.
Comparison between an old global Moho model (left) based on seismic/gravity data and Moho-mapping based on GOCE data (right) in South America. Credits: GEMMA project
GOCE measures the gravity field and models the geoid with unprecedented accuracy to advance our knowledge of ocean circulation, which plays a crucial role in energy exchanges around the globe, sea-level change and Earth interior processes. GEMMA’s Moho map is based on the inversion of homogenous well-distributed gravimetric data.
For the first time, it is possible to estimate the Moho depth worldwide with unprecedented resolution, as well as in areas where ground data are not available. This will offer new clues for understanding the dynamics of Earth’s interior, unmasking the gravitational signal produced by unknown and irregular subsurface density distribution.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Be In Such A Rush To Go Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- Paleo: In A Clinical Trial, Bread Made With Ancient Grains Could Benefit Heart Health
- Hubble Spots Europa Geysers Again - How They Did It - And What Next? Flyby? Lander?
- Why Psychology Lost Its Soul - Science Replaced It
- Chatelperronian Hominins: Disputed Neanderthal Region Confirmed In France
- No Go Area! What? What is that?
- "Oh, sorry to hear that, I hear this so often. Basically it's like propoganda I think. Propoganda..."
- "Hi mr walker... lately i havent been able to eat or drink.. and if i do sleep its during the whole..."
- "Right, California did, but prior to that there were schools in Marin with only 25% vaccination..."
- "I don't just mean Trump - I mean Paul, Fiorina, Christie, and to the medical community's horror..."
- "I like how Farid's lifestyle changed so that he could identify in a way that he wanted people to..."
- Is Parenting Kids of Human and Canine Persuasion the Same? Yes!
- Diabetes: MiniMed 670G Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin System Is A Waypoint To An Artificial Pancreas
- Celebrate Oktoberfest with Beer Chemistry
- Littlest Consumers Doing Well, Nutrition-wise
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Exciting News, But Don't Throw Away Condoms Just Yet
- Ben & Jerry’s Asks Us to Take Big Lick of Fear & Hype
- Antipsychotic medications linked to increased risk of pneumonia in persons with Alzheimer's disease
- Multiple sclerosis misdiagnosis shows need for improved education of clinicians
- Brown adipose tissue can secrete factors that activate fat and carbohydrate metabolism
- Therapeutic Gene Delivery for Inherited Retinal Degeneration in Children
- Molecular atlas of the pancreas