Bacteria in the gut help the body to digest food, and stimulate the immune system. A PhD project at the National Food Institute, Technical University of Denmark, examines whether modulations of the gut bacterial composition affect intestinal integrity, i.e. the ability of the body to maintain a well-regulated barrier function that hinders bacteria from entering the body unintentionally.
The human gut contains more than 100 trillion bacteria, which help the body digest food, produce vitamins protect against disease-provoking bacteria in food, and stimulate the immune system. All these bacteria are separated from the rest of the body by the intestinal wall, which functions as a selective barrier aimed at allowing only useful substances to pass and be absorbed in the body.
Ellen Gerd Christensen, Ph.D. student at the National Food Institute, has examined whether a change in gut bacterial composition affects intestinal integrity. Results show that increased intake of whole-grain wheat increases the number of bifidobacteria, which are considered beneficial for human health.
Credit: Technical University of Denmark
In addition, the study indicated that bifidobacteria may have a negative effect on intestinal integrity. However, subsequent animal testing in rats showed no changes in intestinal integrity after dosing with live bifidobacteria.
Antibiotics also have an effect
In addition, experiments in rats showed that administration of antibiotics, which cause immense changes in the bacterial gut composition, have an effect on intestinal integrity in either a positive or negative direction, depending on the specific antibiotics.
The findings of this PhD project can be used to clarify how changes in the composition of the natural gut bacterial community may affect intestinal function and permeability.
Source: Ellen Gerd Christensen’s PhD thesis
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Not Just Vitamin D - The Radiation In Sunshine May Be Healthy
- Ignorance Of Math And Physics Is No Excuse
- War On Doping And The Hypocritical Treatment Of Lance Armstrong
- Quantum Cryptography Core Question At The Heart Of Quantum Information Theory Answered?!?
- Mars Lost An Ocean’s Worth Of Water
- Science Debunks Fad Ideas About Autism, But That Doesn't Dissuade Believers
- GMO Soybean Oil Is Healthier Than Organic Or Conventional
- "So many people in Australia nowadays are afraid of any direct contact with the Sun because they..."
- "Nope You can treat for the mites. It is done effectively every day. And the poorly funded research..."
- "And you would not equate McCarthy to Hitler or Stalin? ..."
- "Because anti-communism is indeed on the same shelf as racism and greed. Just another ideology of..."
- "I think I have to agree with you here. I think he changed the culture of doping not doping itself..."
- BPA harms dental enamel in young animals, mimicking human tooth defect
- People with anorexia, body dysmorphic disorder share brain anomalies
- Feeling sleepy? Might be the melatonin
- Chromosomal rearrangement is the key to progress against aggressive infant leukemia
- Infant growth affected by exposure to environmental pollutants