Bacteria in the gut help the body to digest food, and stimulate the immune system. A PhD project at the National Food Institute, Technical University of Denmark, examines whether modulations of the gut bacterial composition affect intestinal integrity, i.e. the ability of the body to maintain a well-regulated barrier function that hinders bacteria from entering the body unintentionally.
The human gut contains more than 100 trillion bacteria, which help the body digest food, produce vitamins protect against disease-provoking bacteria in food, and stimulate the immune system. All these bacteria are separated from the rest of the body by the intestinal wall, which functions as a selective barrier aimed at allowing only useful substances to pass and be absorbed in the body.
Ellen Gerd Christensen, Ph.D. student at the National Food Institute, has examined whether a change in gut bacterial composition affects intestinal integrity. Results show that increased intake of whole-grain wheat increases the number of bifidobacteria, which are considered beneficial for human health.
Credit: Technical University of Denmark
In addition, the study indicated that bifidobacteria may have a negative effect on intestinal integrity. However, subsequent animal testing in rats showed no changes in intestinal integrity after dosing with live bifidobacteria.
Antibiotics also have an effect
In addition, experiments in rats showed that administration of antibiotics, which cause immense changes in the bacterial gut composition, have an effect on intestinal integrity in either a positive or negative direction, depending on the specific antibiotics.
The findings of this PhD project can be used to clarify how changes in the composition of the natural gut bacterial community may affect intestinal function and permeability.
Source: Ellen Gerd Christensen’s PhD thesis
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Chess is Smart and Sexy! The Mysterious Psychology of Chess Intelligence 2/3
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- John Glenn, Astronaut, and Senator dead at 95. A Milennial Perspective
- Anomaly! Book Presentation At CERN On November 29
- "No, there is nothing to worry about here. Wormwood refers to an enigmatic passage in the book of..."
- "So is there any chance at all that nibiru or Nemesis or wormwood any of them could be real at all..."
- "The day after the Shuttle with John Glenn took off on a four-day mission:“Just think of it,”..."
- "We all ate bread for years and were just fine..... YOU say. I grew up in the 60s & 70s. My Mother..."
- "Wormwood? What's wormwood? I saw Nibiru in that Star Trek movie, it looked okay...."
- The Alzheimer's-Amyloid Hypothesis Confirmed? Not So Fast
- Abortion Rate in U.S. Falls 21% in One Decade
- Child Mummy May Change Timeline for Smallpox
- On Proposed Tanning Bed Ban for Teens, New Study Urges FDA to Act
- Fear Of Dying Got You Down? Retail Therapy Can Help
- It’s Not Brain Surgery, But do you Know What is? Brain Surgery!