Bacteria in the gut help the body to digest food, and stimulate the immune system. A PhD project at the National Food Institute, Technical University of Denmark, examines whether modulations of the gut bacterial composition affect intestinal integrity, i.e. the ability of the body to maintain a well-regulated barrier function that hinders bacteria from entering the body unintentionally.
The human gut contains more than 100 trillion bacteria, which help the body digest food, produce vitamins protect against disease-provoking bacteria in food, and stimulate the immune system. All these bacteria are separated from the rest of the body by the intestinal wall, which functions as a selective barrier aimed at allowing only useful substances to pass and be absorbed in the body.
Ellen Gerd Christensen, Ph.D. student at the National Food Institute, has examined whether a change in gut bacterial composition affects intestinal integrity. Results show that increased intake of whole-grain wheat increases the number of bifidobacteria, which are considered beneficial for human health.
Credit: Technical University of Denmark
In addition, the study indicated that bifidobacteria may have a negative effect on intestinal integrity. However, subsequent animal testing in rats showed no changes in intestinal integrity after dosing with live bifidobacteria.
Antibiotics also have an effect
In addition, experiments in rats showed that administration of antibiotics, which cause immense changes in the bacterial gut composition, have an effect on intestinal integrity in either a positive or negative direction, depending on the specific antibiotics.
The findings of this PhD project can be used to clarify how changes in the composition of the natural gut bacterial community may affect intestinal function and permeability.
Source: Ellen Gerd Christensen’s PhD thesis
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Prevent Alzheimer's Disease By Drinking Beer?
- Acceptance Of Evolution Is Far Higher Than Acceptance Of Other Biology
- Planck on BICEP2 "It turns out that the part of the dust had been significantly underestimated."
- Hardwired For Miscommunication? Why Women Think Sex When Men Just Want To Be Friends
- Optically Getting To The Same Side: How To Generating Möbius Strips Of Light
- Extended Telomeres Slow Cell Aging
- "There is a reason we don't use females. Researchers, in a preclinical setting, typically..."
- "Even if it's proven safe, it is still putting something unnatural into your body. So while it may..."
- "Republicans don't believe this graphic. Neither do scientists. Because it's wrong. Since the graphic..."
- "Except that the data say otherwise: http://www.culturalcognition.net/blog/2013/11/5/we-arent-polarized..."
- "This is so interesting. The way the secrecy continued after the war is, I think, one reason..."