Hospira received a positive opinion from the European Medicines Agency (EMA) Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP), recommending European Commission approval of Inflectra (infliximab) for rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease and plaque psoriasis.
Inflectra (infliximab) is a biosimilar medicine to the reference medicinal product, Remicade (infliximab), and is the first monoclonal antibody therapy to reach a positive opinion following review via the EMA biosimilars regulatory pathway. A biosimilar developed in-line with EU requirements can be considered a therapeutic alternative to an existing biologic, with comparable quality, efficacy and safety to the reference product.
Biologic medicines have led to vast improvements in the treatment of conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease, but they also represent one of the biggest medical expenditures in many countries.
Inflectra specifically targets tumor necrosis factor (TNF) alpha, a protein in the body that contributes to the painful inflammation seen in rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease and plaque psoriasis. The drug's safety, efficacy and tolerability have been established through a comprehensive clinical trial program. In a phase III randomized, double-blind study, Inflectra met its primary endpoint of therapeutic equivalence to the reference product. In the study, 73.4% of patients receiving Inflectra achieved a greater than 20% improvement in RA symptoms after 30 weeks of treatment (using the ACR20 scoring system), compared with 69.7% treated with reference infliximab. The safety and tolerability of Inflectra was also demonstrated to be comparable to Remicade, supporting its approval.
In 2009, Hospira entered into an agreement with South Korean-based biopharmaceutical company, Celltrion, which is developing eight monoclonal antibody biosimilars. Under the terms of the agreement, Hospira obtained the rights to Inflectra in Europe, the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
The European Commission reviews the recommendations of the CHMP. The final decision on approval, usually granted within three months of CHMP opinion, will be applicable to all European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) countries.
Hospira is the only U.S.-based company with biosimilars on the European market, including Retacrit which was launched in Europe in early 2008 and Nivestim, which entered the European market in 2010 and Australian market in 2011.
"In a time when there is mounting pressure on healthcare budgets worldwide, Inflectra provides an opportunity to increase patient access to more affordable biologic therapy while maintaining high quality standards," said Richard Davies, Senior Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer, Hospira.
 Weise M. et al. Blood. 2012; 120: 5111-5117
 Bendtzen, K. Immunotherapy. 2012; 4(11): 1167-1179.
 Hospira Inc, 2013, Data on file.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Rush To Be Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Ground Squirrels Use The Sun To Hide Food
- Study Explains Mechanisms Behind Glioblastoma Influence On The Immune System
- Paleo: In A Clinical Trial, Bread Made With Ancient Grains Could Benefit Heart Health
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- Chatelperronian Hominins: Disputed Neanderthal Region Confirmed In France
- Brown Adipose Tissue Can Secrete Factors That Activate Fat And Carbohydrate Metabolism
- "Right, good thoughts :). On replicators, yes if a species can make robust self replicating spaceships..."
- "Nope, only Italian for now.Cheers,T...."
- "Is the book available also in English?..."
- "Oh, had to look it up, that's the first asteroid to be detected with a tiny 1 in a million chance..."
- "Robert hey you know the asteroid called 2002 NT7? I know that NASA already ruled out the possibility..."
- San Francisco Soda Tax: A Feel-Good Policy Based on Junk Science
- Watson and Crick did not discover DNA
- Is Parenting Kids of Human and Canine Persuasion the Same? Yes!
- Diabetes: MiniMed 670G Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin System Is A Waypoint To An Artificial Pancreas
- Celebrate Oktoberfest with Beer Chemistry
- Littlest Consumers Doing Well, Nutrition-wise
- How would you like a kitchen surface that cleans itself?
- Vitamin D could help control TB in animals
- Antipsychotic medications linked to increased risk of pneumonia in persons with Alzheimer's disease
- Multiple sclerosis misdiagnosis shows need for improved education of clinicians
- Brown adipose tissue can secrete factors that activate fat and carbohydrate metabolism