Allergies are on the rise and there are a number of theories why. Some speculate that it's due to more parents getting kids tested for allergies; allergists will find allergies thta 40 years ago would have been dismissed as inconveniences. Other speculation is that over-hyped concern about sterility regarding babies has weakened their immune system.
A study conducted in 2008 by the Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg says diet may be the culprit.
In Västra Götaland County in western Sweden, half of all teenagers are considered affected by asthma, nasal symptoms and eczema, almost 10 percentage points higher than when a similar study was conducted in 2000.
Who is least affected? Those who eat more fish and butter.
"We want to explore whether there is a connection between diet and allergies, and also whether there are differences between different groups in terms of allergies. If there are, our findings can help direct certain measures to where they are needed the most," says Karin Engdahl (Social Democrat), Chairman of the Public Health Committee, Region Västra Götaland.
Girls also had more allergies than boys, the survey noted.
"The increased general level of skin and airway sensitivity calls for measures to create healthy indoor environments, primarily in schools but eventually also in the young people's future workplaces. There is also a need for information to children, youth and parents, such as medical educational and vocational counselling in schools," says Jonas Brisman, chief physician and project leader of the study at the Section of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg.
Two more reports connected to the study are forthcoming; one later this autumn on dietary habits and one in 2010 on health from a socio-economic perspective.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Schrödinger's Cat Is Not Just Alive And Dead, He's Both In 2 Places At Once
- Case For Moon: Humanity's Gateway To The Solar System - Open Ended Exploration With Planetary Protection At Its Heart
- Mindfulness Is Not A Waste Of Time
- B0 Meson Lifetime Difference Measured By ATLAS
- Arctic Ocean Methane Does Not Reach The Atmosphere
- Voluntary Birth Control To Stop Climate Change - Or Else
- Italian Food Scientists Are Tired Of Phony Cheese
- "this must be mystery, Cat Mystery. lol..."
- "Vampire are not real, and can never be. This stuff is limited to movies only...."
- "Milk is so tasty. Soy, Oy! CO2 is fertilizer for plants. We need more of it. Meat is tasty too..."
- "Both the Pacific Salmon Forum and the Cohen Commission agree there is scant evidence farming salmon..."
- "If interested in an electromagnetic model of the photon structure and its absorption process, as..."
- The Name Game: How Unethical Environmental Groups and Toxic Fanatics Scare You With Words
- Naturopathy: A Pre-holiday Rant
- Misdiagnosis of Dehydration in Older Folks
- The Amazing Things Poo Can Tell Us About Health
- This Dinner Plate Sucks—Literally
- Gwynn’s Appeal to Jury Could Overshadow Medical Science
- New meta-analysis shows ketamine effective against persistent post-surgical pain and could provide major cost-savings globally
- Refusing access to surgery recovery area at a UK hospital unless WHO Safe Surgery Checklist is fully complete
- Investment in energy storage vital if renewables to achieve full potential
- The Lancet Oncology: Teenagers and young adults still fare worse than children for many common cancers, according to Europe-wide
- Coping with active surveillance anxiety in prostate cancer