Allergies are on the rise and there are a number of theories why. Some speculate that it's due to more parents getting kids tested for allergies; allergists will find allergies thta 40 years ago would have been dismissed as inconveniences. Other speculation is that over-hyped concern about sterility regarding babies has weakened their immune system.
A study conducted in 2008 by the Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg says diet may be the culprit.
In Västra Götaland County in western Sweden, half of all teenagers are considered affected by asthma, nasal symptoms and eczema, almost 10 percentage points higher than when a similar study was conducted in 2000.
Who is least affected? Those who eat more fish and butter.
"We want to explore whether there is a connection between diet and allergies, and also whether there are differences between different groups in terms of allergies. If there are, our findings can help direct certain measures to where they are needed the most," says Karin Engdahl (Social Democrat), Chairman of the Public Health Committee, Region Västra Götaland.
Girls also had more allergies than boys, the survey noted.
"The increased general level of skin and airway sensitivity calls for measures to create healthy indoor environments, primarily in schools but eventually also in the young people's future workplaces. There is also a need for information to children, youth and parents, such as medical educational and vocational counselling in schools," says Jonas Brisman, chief physician and project leader of the study at the Section of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg.
Two more reports connected to the study are forthcoming; one later this autumn on dietary habits and one in 2010 on health from a socio-economic perspective.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Great Earthquakes Doubled In The Most Recent 10 Year Period - What That Means
- Why Climate 'Uncertainty' Is No Excuse For Doing Nothing
- What Americans Fear Most Isn't Ebola Or Terrorism, It's...
- Moderate Pot Use By Adolescents Doesn't Hurt IQ
- Cosmic Rays Jeopardize Deep-Space Astronaut Missions
- Slavery In America: Back In The Headlines
- 24 hours with Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3
- "Chaos, thanks, I couldn't come up with the word. Well, sure. The article really didn't work to..."
- "So many decisions seem to be made by ISEBYs — in someone else’s back yard. ..."
- "I think this article, from Tufts University, near Boston Massachusetts, may have a bearing on the..."
- "Hi Helen, great to be in touch with you again!How have you been doing?I have not been visiting..."
- "Kevin, I agree 100 per cent with what you say.Einstein said that the reason he didn't take to atheists..."
- Anti-conventional ag movement spurs Big Ag to look to organic pesticides
- Can people really inherit memories?
- An end to fat shaming? The 50 year DNA mystery of metabolic dysfunction may soon be solved
- Egg freezing: a smart career move?
- Women carry fetal DNA long after children’s birth
- Despite resistance, China will dominate future of GMOs
- UNC scientists discover hidden subpopulation of melanoma cells
- Teenage self-harm linked to problems in later life
- Unsteady on your feet? Little touches could make all the difference
- Promising blood biomarkers identified for colorectal cancer: Is a screening blood test within reach?
- Studies must be carried out to determine whether exercise slows the onset of type 1 diabetes in children and adults