The National Academies (the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the Institute of Medicine) announced the recipients of their 2010 Communication Awards today. Part of the Keck Futures Initiative, these awards recognize excellence in reporting and communicating science, engineering, and medicine to the general public. With support from the W.M. Keck Foundation, these $20,000 prizes have been awarded since 2003. This year's winners will be honored during a ceremony on Oct. 22 at the Keck Center in Washington, D.C.
Richard Holmes for his book "The Age of Wonder: How the Romantic Generation Discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science", a look at the links between the worlds of science and literature in the Romantic era.
Charles Duhigg for his New York Times series “Toxic Waters,” and its investigative environmental reporting.
Carole and Richard Rifkind (co-producers and co-directors) for “Naturally Obsessed: The Making of a Scientist,” portraying the excitement and challenges young scientists face in and out of the lab (WNET).
Ed Yong for his blog “Not Exactly Rocket Science,” multimedia storytelling about science in the digital age.
The Keck Futures Initiative was created in 2003 to encourage interdisciplinary research and is funded by a 15-year, $40 million grant from the W.M. Keck Foundation. Nominations for next year's awards will be accepted beginning Jan. 10, 2011, for works published or broadcast in 2010.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- TSCA Reform Casualties Likely Start with Asbestos
- Is Corbyn Right About The Bomb?- Op Ed
- Global Warming Has Made Global Warming Harder To Show
- March Against Monsanto Claims Vaccines Cause Cancer
- Are There Two Higgses ? No, And I Won Another Bet!
- "So what your saying is then that hes not right and nibiru is not real yet space is hugh very hugh..."
- "No he doesn't need to know anything to say this. There's a very long list of people who have predicted..."
- "That prediction mr walker is by the rabbi who if i remember rightly stated at the beginning of..."
- "I went through Guido's book this summer and I found that really entertaining. The style is not..."
- "No, it's not real, it's just a hoax or myth. I haven't seen that prediction but that's how they..."
- Suppressing Cough at Tonight's Presidential Debate
- How Smoking Causes Heartaches
- Vagina: Inanimate Objects in Orifices
- Synthetic Cannabis: Why Is Spice So Dangerous?
- US News Tackles The War On Fun, And Other Ways Media Linked To Us Last Week
- Social Orangutans Are More Intelligent than Solitary Orangutans
- Chemical weapons are still being used in Iraq but the Obama administration doesn't talk about it
- Why psychology lost its soul - science replaced it
- Jim Crow internet is pushing back against Black Lives Matter
- Ben & Jerry's: Global warming is changing the flavor of ice cream
- Laterality: Finding out about the human mind through stone