The National Academies (the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the Institute of Medicine) announced the recipients of their 2010 Communication Awards today. Part of the Keck Futures Initiative, these awards recognize excellence in reporting and communicating science, engineering, and medicine to the general public. With support from the W.M. Keck Foundation, these $20,000 prizes have been awarded since 2003. This year's winners will be honored during a ceremony on Oct. 22 at the Keck Center in Washington, D.C.
Richard Holmes for his book "The Age of Wonder: How the Romantic Generation Discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science", a look at the links between the worlds of science and literature in the Romantic era.
Charles Duhigg for his New York Times series “Toxic Waters,” and its investigative environmental reporting.
Carole and Richard Rifkind (co-producers and co-directors) for “Naturally Obsessed: The Making of a Scientist,” portraying the excitement and challenges young scientists face in and out of the lab (WNET).
Ed Yong for his blog “Not Exactly Rocket Science,” multimedia storytelling about science in the digital age.
The Keck Futures Initiative was created in 2003 to encourage interdisciplinary research and is funded by a 15-year, $40 million grant from the W.M. Keck Foundation. Nominations for next year's awards will be accepted beginning Jan. 10, 2011, for works published or broadcast in 2010.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- 3 Papers Discuss The Molecular Toolkits We Share With Flies And Worms
- Global 'Roadmap' Shows Where To Put Roads Without Costing The Earth
- Schrödinger's Picture: Researchers Take An Image Without Ever Detecting Light
- E-Cigarettes Versus Cigarettes: 10X Decrease In Second-Hand Smoke
- Old Dope, New Tricks: The New Science Of Medical Cannabis
- Anger Face Is Universal, And It Evolved Because Of Psychology
- Meet BPA-Free, The New BPA
- "There are also these two articles :http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.3795Quantum nonlocality based on finite..."
- "My article CMB B-modes, spinorial space-time and Pre-Big Bang (II) can be found in this note :http..."
- "Hi chorasimilarity,I don't consider it much of a conflict of interests, at least in experimental..."
- "ED, let me just say this about the math issues. Since the Winnower Paper I've been submitted..."
- "Well, now we just have to solve the prescription drug deaths issue...."