The National Academies (the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the Institute of Medicine) announced the recipients of their 2010 Communication Awards today. Part of the Keck Futures Initiative, these awards recognize excellence in reporting and communicating science, engineering, and medicine to the general public. With support from the W.M. Keck Foundation, these $20,000 prizes have been awarded since 2003. This year's winners will be honored during a ceremony on Oct. 22 at the Keck Center in Washington, D.C.
Richard Holmes for his book "The Age of Wonder: How the Romantic Generation Discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science", a look at the links between the worlds of science and literature in the Romantic era.
Charles Duhigg for his New York Times series “Toxic Waters,” and its investigative environmental reporting.
Carole and Richard Rifkind (co-producers and co-directors) for “Naturally Obsessed: The Making of a Scientist,” portraying the excitement and challenges young scientists face in and out of the lab (WNET).
Ed Yong for his blog “Not Exactly Rocket Science,” multimedia storytelling about science in the digital age.
The Keck Futures Initiative was created in 2003 to encourage interdisciplinary research and is funded by a 15-year, $40 million grant from the W.M. Keck Foundation. Nominations for next year's awards will be accepted beginning Jan. 10, 2011, for works published or broadcast in 2010.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How We Predict Climate Decades Ahead - Yet Can't Forecast Weather Ten Days Ahead - Chaos Patterned With Order
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Time, Wittgenstein And Language Scaffolding
- Russian scientists increase DVD storage capacity million times
- Neanderthals: Not So Dumb
- "Hi Mr walker been reading that nibiru is actually a 100% dead cert this time apparently people..."
- "Oh thanks, that's a good one for the Florida Map. Though it only has data for the US. For instance..."
- "Just a quick reply for now -https://coast.noaa.gov/digitalcoast/tools/slr.html..."
- "Great, thanks! After sleeping on it, I need to work some more on the flooding section. Make more..."
- "What is truth? Anyone can say that X exists or that Y happened. A seeker after truth requires evidence..."
- Annoying Studies’ Series: Newborn Weight Gain (Again!)
- Five PM? Time for Breakfast!
- Include Aerobic Fitness in Physical Exams, Heart Association Recommends
- Female Vervet Monkeys Assault Males that Do Not Participate in Fights
- Vaginal Ring Effective for HIV Infection Prevention
- Winter is No Wonderland