The black hole at the edge of galaxy NGC 7793, twelve million light years from Earth, has been found to be doing something rare - emitting powerful jets of particles of a total length of 1,000 light years. The energy produced by matter falling into a black hole this size is usually transformed into X-rays, not into jets, but this one is the exception - a miniature version of certain supermassive black holes present in the active nuclei of galaxies.
The two jets of matter that they observed are the most powerful ever discovered for this type of black hole, resulting from the collapse of a star. The jets push back the interstellar medium, hollowing out a large bubble of relativistic particles and very hot gases around the black hole. This bubble radiates in the optical, X-ray and radio wavelengths: it has been expanding for 200,000 years and now measures 1,000 light years in diameter. It is inflating at a speed close to one million kilometers per hour.
Until now, it was thought that the energy produced by a black hole swallowing matter was mainly emitted in the form of radiation, particularly X-rays. This discovery is all the more surprising as it shows that certain black holes can emit much more energy in the form of jets of particles. These jets, when they come into contact with interstellar gas, trigger a shockwave that causes heating and accelerates the expansion of the bubble.
In the case of the active nuclei of galaxies, which contain supermassive black holes, jets of particles are also observed streaming in the intergalactic medium. This discovery should therefore elucidate the mechanisms by which these jets are produced and their impact on the near and distant environment of the black hole.
Citation: 'A 300 parsec long jet-inflated bubble around a powerful microquasar in the galaxy NGC 7793', Nature, 8 July 2010, M. W. Pakull, R. Soria and C. Motch
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- Journalists Be Aware - Your Unverified "Doomsday" News Terrifies Children And Vulnerable People
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- DDoS war: How zombie fridges bit the internet in the ass today.
- EPA Again Delays Report On Safety Of Glyphosate
- IPhone Lab Detects Cancer, May Lead To Instant Diagnosis
- Following Speech In Background Noise - The Problem May Not Be Your Ears
- "Hallelujah, HEP is saved!..."
- "Yes, some of them Nancy Lieder doesn't have a clue about astronomy, she claims the most absurd..."
- "Any of these names mean anything to you Zechariah stitchin,nancy lieder,gill boussard,steve olsen..."
- "Oh, a colloquial term. Weird, off center, not normal. I.e. it is not normal behaviour. It indicates..."
- "Even a such a numbskull as myself, I thought this from the beginning of the idea. If land is too..."
- Improved 'Screen Time' Guidelines Could Make Parents & Kids Happier
- Dr. Jamie Wells Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians
- Why Did EPA Delay Its Glyphosate Safety Report?
- Scientists Should Fight Postmodern Public Values
- Stupid Health Scare For Hep C Drugs
- Our Lack of Awareness about Food Consumption & Waste