Veloxis Pharmaceuticals announced that LCP-Tacro successfully demonstrated non-inferiority compared to tacrolimus (Prograf®; Astellas Pharma) in its Phase III clinical trial, Study 3002.
The Phase III randomized, double-blind and double-dummy study in 543 de novo kidney transplant recipients, with Prograf as the comparator, met its primary efficacy and primary safety endpoints.
The study was conducted under a Special Protocol Agreement with the FDA and the results are considered pivotal for the planned U.S. regulatory filing expected to occur in the second half of 2013.
"The results observed in this clinical trial suggest that new kidney transplant patients can begin with a regimen of once-daily LCP-Tacro™ rather than twice-daily as required with current tacrolimus products, without compromising efficacy and tolerability," said Dr. Suphamai Bunnapradist, M.D., Professor of Medicine and Director of Kidney Transplant Research at the Ronald Reagan Medical Center and David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, California, USA. "This is important because once-daily dosing should be beneficial for kidney transplant patients who are on life-long complex therapy."
LCP-Tacro demonstrated non-inferiority to Prograf in preventing kidney transplant rejection, including in the early post-transplant period
The primary endpoint of the study was a composite endpoint of treatment failure (biopsy-proven acute rejection or BPAR, graft failure, loss to follow up or death) that was evaluated after a 12-month treatment period to demonstrate the non-inferiority of LCP-Tacro compared to Prograf.
The treatment failure rate for LCP-Tacro was 18.3% compared to 19.6% for Prograf, well within the 10% pre-specified non-inferiority margin.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Pseudoscience Creeping Into Your Conference? A Case In GMOs And Glyphosate
- My Thoughts On The LIGO-VIRGO Result
- Henri Poincaré Predicted The Existence Of Gravitational Waves As Early As June 5, 1905
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- Beyond Diamonds And Gems: The World's Rarest Minerals
- The 10 catastrophic mistakes virtual reality firms are making
- Using Stories To Teach Human Values To Robots
- "A further comment on the meaning of Poincaré's prediction about gravitational waves : the classical..."
- "Dear Tomasso I have a simple question: What is the probability of a chirped wave train of 20ms..."
- "Ciao Giulio - I work on the LIGO and Virgo instruments, I can try to explain. The arms in LIGO..."
- "Tommaso, your post is very interesting. I share some of the caveats you refer to. Having into account..."
- "When I was a graduate student at UC Davis, Stan Prusiner came to talk. Klieber Hall was filled..."
- Beard Microbiology: Grubby Hipsters May Be On To Something
- Water Tops the List of Health Concerns for Competitive Eaters
- Natural Flavors Are More Radioactive Than Artificial Ones.
- Bariatric Surgery Beneficial Even for Older People
- Opiates No Better at Easing Knee Osteoarthritis Pain
- BRCA Tests Increasing for Younger Breast Cancer Patients