The potentially damaging effects of marijuana on young brains may be even worse than previously thought, according to new research conducted by scientists from McGill University. Their new study, published in Neurobiology of Disease, suggests that teenagers who consume marijuana daily face a higher risk of depression and anxiety, and may suffer irreversible neurological effects.
"We wanted to know what happens in the brains of teenagers when they use cannabis and whether they are more susceptible to its neurological effects than adults," explained McGill University researcher Gabriella Gobbi.
The study points to an apparent action of cannabis on two important compounds in the brain – serotonin and norepinephrine – which are involved in the regulation of neurological functions such as mood control and anxiety.
"Teenagers who are exposed to cannabis have decreased serotonin transmission, which leads to mood disorders, as well as increased norepinephrine transmission, which leads to greater long-term susceptibility to stress," Dr. Gobbi stated.
While previous epidemiological studies have shown how cannabis consumption can affect behavior in some teenagers, "our study is one of the first to focus on the neurobiological mechanisms at the root of this influence of cannabis on depression and anxiety in adolescents," Dr. Gobbi claimed. It is also the first study to demonstrate that cannabis consumption causes more serious damage during adolescence than adulthood.
Citation: Francis Rodriguez Bambicoa, Nhu-Tram Nguyena, Noam Katza, Gabriella Gobbi, 'Chronic exposure to cannabinoids during adolescence but not during adulthood impairs emotional behaviour and monoaminergic neurotransmission', Neurobiology of Disease, Dec. 2009; doi:10.1016/j.nbd.2009.11.020
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- How The Higgs Became The Target Of Run 2 At The Tevatron
- You Are Ready To Eat Insects If You Have These Characteristics
- How Neuroscience Is Being Used To Spread Quackery In Business And Education
- Global 'Roadmap' Shows Where To Put Roads Without Costing The Earth
- MOOCs: Learning About Online Learning, One Click At A Time
- Philae: Rosetta Lander Will Seek A Close Encounter With Comet 67P’s ‘Primordial Soup’
- "Sriracha: like PhotoDaddy said, the photon is an electromagnetic wave. It has an E=hf wave nature..."
- " Sorry, pure bunk. You are saying that there is no EM wave in-between the creation and the detection..."
- "More precisely: you can say that you have a quantum of an EM wave *after* one combined creation/detection..."
- "So in this representation every four vector is represented by a 4x4 matrix, but not every 4x4 matrix..."
- "If you look up a text on Quantum Electrodynamics you should find a Psi field for creating and destroying..."
- Week-long meeting on naming algae, fungi, and plants recorded for posterity
- Geochronology and global context of the Charnian Supergroup
- Confirmation of a low pre-extensional geothermal gradient in the Grayback normal
- Scientists get set for simulated nuclear inspection
- Invisible blood in urine may indicate bladder cancer