The potentially damaging effects of marijuana on young brains may be even worse than previously thought, according to new research conducted by scientists from McGill University. Their new study, published in Neurobiology of Disease, suggests that teenagers who consume marijuana daily face a higher risk of depression and anxiety, and may suffer irreversible neurological effects.
"We wanted to know what happens in the brains of teenagers when they use cannabis and whether they are more susceptible to its neurological effects than adults," explained McGill University researcher Gabriella Gobbi.
The study points to an apparent action of cannabis on two important compounds in the brain – serotonin and norepinephrine – which are involved in the regulation of neurological functions such as mood control and anxiety.
"Teenagers who are exposed to cannabis have decreased serotonin transmission, which leads to mood disorders, as well as increased norepinephrine transmission, which leads to greater long-term susceptibility to stress," Dr. Gobbi stated.
While previous epidemiological studies have shown how cannabis consumption can affect behavior in some teenagers, "our study is one of the first to focus on the neurobiological mechanisms at the root of this influence of cannabis on depression and anxiety in adolescents," Dr. Gobbi claimed. It is also the first study to demonstrate that cannabis consumption causes more serious damage during adolescence than adulthood.
Citation: Francis Rodriguez Bambicoa, Nhu-Tram Nguyena, Noam Katza, Gabriella Gobbi, 'Chronic exposure to cannabinoids during adolescence but not during adulthood impairs emotional behaviour and monoaminergic neurotransmission', Neurobiology of Disease, Dec. 2009; doi:10.1016/j.nbd.2009.11.020
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Education: Stop New Age Thinking, Chalk And Talk Might Be The Best Way After All
- Big Data Could Be A Big Problem For Workplace Discrimination Law
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- The BPA Paradox – Too Many Studies?
- 3X Saturated Fat In The Diet Doesn't Increase It In Blood
- Why Computer Programs Can't Understand Truth - And Ethics Of Artificial Intelligence Babies
- "all information provided very useful and very good at all to add new insights, thank you very much ..."
- "thanks to the information provided, it adds insight for us and add more extensive knowledge obat..."
- "thanks to the information provided, it adds insight for us and add more extensive knowledge http..."
- "Intriguing article. Science fiction at its best, but who knows what my grandchildren's grandchildren..."
- "I haven't seen the film yet, but I think this review is trying to make a big ol' mountain where..."
- Adult survivors of childhood eye cancer experience few cognitive or social setbacks
- Healthy gut microbiota can prevent metabolic syndrome, researchers say
- Schizophrenia may be triggered by excess protein during brain development
- The sound of status: People know high-power voices when they hear them
- Mutant protein takes babies' breath away