The potentially damaging effects of marijuana on young brains may be even worse than previously thought, according to new research conducted by scientists from McGill University. Their new study, published in Neurobiology of Disease, suggests that teenagers who consume marijuana daily face a higher risk of depression and anxiety, and may suffer irreversible neurological effects.
"We wanted to know what happens in the brains of teenagers when they use cannabis and whether they are more susceptible to its neurological effects than adults," explained McGill University researcher Gabriella Gobbi.
The study points to an apparent action of cannabis on two important compounds in the brain – serotonin and norepinephrine – which are involved in the regulation of neurological functions such as mood control and anxiety.
"Teenagers who are exposed to cannabis have decreased serotonin transmission, which leads to mood disorders, as well as increased norepinephrine transmission, which leads to greater long-term susceptibility to stress," Dr. Gobbi stated.
While previous epidemiological studies have shown how cannabis consumption can affect behavior in some teenagers, "our study is one of the first to focus on the neurobiological mechanisms at the root of this influence of cannabis on depression and anxiety in adolescents," Dr. Gobbi claimed. It is also the first study to demonstrate that cannabis consumption causes more serious damage during adolescence than adulthood.
Citation: Francis Rodriguez Bambicoa, Nhu-Tram Nguyena, Noam Katza, Gabriella Gobbi, 'Chronic exposure to cannabinoids during adolescence but not during adulthood impairs emotional behaviour and monoaminergic neurotransmission', Neurobiology of Disease, Dec. 2009; doi:10.1016/j.nbd.2009.11.020
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- The Daily Physics Problem - 4
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- "Charles, first, you are not alone, I've come across many people who are scared out of their wits..."
- "Charles, oh, that's no problem, just stating your beliefs. So, right, I think many of those who..."
- "Anonymous, Just remember keep a clear head! Do what you just did, read up look for contradictions..."
- "Thanks charles also been reading that astronomers have just discoverd a new dwarf planet out beyond..."
- "Anonymous, I think you should not worry about something that you cant see with your own eyes. I..."
- Chemical etching method helps transistors stand tall
- Measure of age in soil nitrogen could help precision agriculture
- Effectiveness of the WHO cancer pain relief guidelines published by Dove Medical Press
- Hospital data helps predict risk of pneumonia after heart surgery
- New University of Montana study quantifies morel mushroom abundance after wildfire