Science has come a long way since 1978, when Louise Joy Brown, the world's first successful 'test-tube baby', was born.
Despite claims that these children were somehow going to be less natural, in vitro fertilization (IVF) has instead become mainstream, along with other methods to promote successful pregnancy. An aggregation of ten international reports tracking the use of Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART) has led the International Committee for the Monitoring of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ICMART) to estimate that there have been 5 million babies born with the help of science and technology.
Though the first test-tube baby was born in 1978, by 1990 there had been an estimated 90,000 births worldwide and by the turn of the century, estimates put the number at approximately 900,000. By 2007, it was estimated over 2.5 million children had been born using ART and since then it is estimated that approximately 1.5 million babies have born using this country in countries who report their outcomes to ICMART, with another 900,000 in non-reporting countries.
In the US, about 1% of babies are born using IVF or another reproductive technology.
International Federation of Fertility Societies (IFFS) Board member Richard Kennedy said, “This comprehensive report confirms that we now have over 5 million babies born through Assisted Reproduction. More than that, it shows that half of them have been born in the last 6 years. The number of babies born through ART is now about the same as the population of a U.S. state such as Colorado, or a country such as Lebanon or Ireland. This is a great medical success story.”
Presented at the International Federation of Fertility Societies 21st World Congress On Fertility and Sterility and the annual meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- World Did NOT End On 29th July! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story - Journalists Please Be More Responsible
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- "hey Alex,yeah ok...."
- "You mean, is it edible?Yes it is. Though the digestibility of the oil has not yet been studied..."
- "Quark colors are considered in the framework of the SM weak interactions for the first time. In..."
- "Yes absolutely. Nobody has predicted any astronomical event successfully from the Bible. And it..."
- "so this vídeo armageddon News is fake???..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes