Husbands and wives express love differently in marriage, according to a new study.
Looking at survey results collected at four time points over 13 years of marriage, researchers ("Do Men and Women Show Love Differently in Marriage?" Schoenfeld et al., Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, November 2012) found that while both genders were equally likely to show love through affection, wives expressed love by being less antagonistic while husbands showed love by initiating sex or sharing activities together.
In Western societies, the cultural myth is that women in romantic relationships are more adept at expressing love than men. Men can't catch a break, it seems, but psychologists are on the case and recently examined the widely-embraced premise that men and women “love differently” and sought to tackle it empirically.
They collected survey data four times over 13 years of marriage and then examined whether either men and women really showed a distinction, with one gender being more expressive, or if love is simply associated with different behaviors for husbands and wives. Their multilevel analyses revealed that, counter to long-held assumptions and therefore cultural expectations, both genders were equally likely to show love through affection, they just did it differently.
The difference? Wives expressed love by enacting fewer negative or antagonistic behaviors while husbands showed love by initiating sex, sharing leisure activities like hobbies and doing household work together with their wives.
Overall, the findings indicate that men and women show their love in more nuanced ways than cultural stereotypes suggest.
So wives, if your husband is asking for sex again, he is just showing you how much he cares. Wives, let him watch the game in peace to show you do too.
Citation: Elizabeth A. Schoenfeld, Carrie A. Bredow, Ted L. Huston, 'Do Men and Women Show Love Differently in Marriage?', Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin Published online before print June 18, 2012 doi: 10.1177/0146167212450739
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- BP's Extreme Climate Forecast: Storm-proofing For Shareholders Or Corporate Handcuffs?
- Fighting Plagiarism In Scientific Papers
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- 2 New Species Of Primitive Fish Discovered
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- Scientific Research Helps Create First Ice Casino Blueprints
- Holistically Tuned - The Brain Sees Words As Pictures, Not A Series Of Letters
- " Once again, I'm wiping the tears from my eyes from the gut splitting laughter, good one!..."
- "I remember the good old days when Duck and Cover was regularly practiced, and I dutifully got under..."
- "Sure, the NRC went down the path to ruin because George W. Bush put Harry Reid's lap dog in charge..."
- "With the Republicans in charge of Congress now, we're certainly having to get used to people with..."
- "Climate change? Are you buying the misuse of language and science? When did the climate not change..."
- If it's a reality program, why aren't 60 percent of the characters obese?
- How diverse is your social network? The answer may reveal something about your values
- Folic acid may help elderly weather heat waves
- Sometimes products benefit from mixed reviews
- Childhood cancer survival up, but most have morbidities