Sleeping pills have been associated with a four-fold increase in suicide risk in the elderly but is it just bad correlation, in that sleeping pills are just a convenient way to commit suicide? Researchers writing in the BMC Geriatrics say that after adjusting for the presence of psychiatric conditions sedatives and hypnotics were both associated with an increased risk of suicide.
Anders Carlsten and Margda Waern from Gothenburg University carried out a case control study to determine whether specific types of psychoactive drugs were associated with suicide risk in later life.
According to Carlsten, "Sedative treatment was associated with an almost fourteen-fold increase of suicide risk in the crude analyses and remained an independent risk factor for suicide even after adjustment for the presence of mental disorders. Having a current prescription for a hypnotic was associated with a four-fold increase in suicide risk in the adjusted model."
The researchers speculate that the drugs may raise suicide risk by triggering aggressive or impulsive behavior, or by providing the means for people to take an overdose.
They also point out the possibility that these drugs may merely be markers for some other factor related to suicide risk, such as somatic illness, functional disability, alcohol use disorder, interpersonal problems, lack of social network or sleep disturbance.
Carlsten said, "Persons with these problems might be more likely to seek health care and perhaps more likely to receive prescriptions for psychotropic drugs. However, given the extremely high prescription rates for these drugs, a careful evaluation of the suicide risk should always precede prescribing a sedative or hypnotic to an elderly individual".
Article: 'Are sedatives and hypnotics associated with increased suicide risk in the elderly?' Anders Carlsten and Margda Waern, BMC Geriatrics
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Hardwired For Miscommunication? Why Women Think Sex When Men Just Want To Be Friends
- Prevent Alzheimer's Disease By Drinking Beer?
- Exposure To BPA – It’s Not What Some People Think
- Cometary Globule CG4 - From God's Hand To The Mouth Of The Beast
- Religious People View Science Favorably But Reject Some Theories - Just Like Everyone Else
- Outsourcing: 3 Ways To Stop Medical Research Brain Drain
- Acceptance Of Evolution Is Far Higher Than Acceptance Of Other Biology
- "The horrible intelligent lava monsters of Kepler 444 are probably offended that we think they don't..."
- "Certain stories in the new media at large have been talking about Kepler 444 and the possibility..."
- "It may not be the passing game that benefits the most, it may be in the run...."
- "Yes agree. If you hang around this site for any time you will find it easy to spot...."
- "Aha. Bad journalistic practice, IMNSHO. ..."