Sleeping pills have been associated with a four-fold increase in suicide risk in the elderly but is it just bad correlation, in that sleeping pills are just a convenient way to commit suicide? Researchers writing in the BMC Geriatrics say that after adjusting for the presence of psychiatric conditions sedatives and hypnotics were both associated with an increased risk of suicide.
Anders Carlsten and Margda Waern from Gothenburg University carried out a case control study to determine whether specific types of psychoactive drugs were associated with suicide risk in later life.
According to Carlsten, "Sedative treatment was associated with an almost fourteen-fold increase of suicide risk in the crude analyses and remained an independent risk factor for suicide even after adjustment for the presence of mental disorders. Having a current prescription for a hypnotic was associated with a four-fold increase in suicide risk in the adjusted model."
The researchers speculate that the drugs may raise suicide risk by triggering aggressive or impulsive behavior, or by providing the means for people to take an overdose.
They also point out the possibility that these drugs may merely be markers for some other factor related to suicide risk, such as somatic illness, functional disability, alcohol use disorder, interpersonal problems, lack of social network or sleep disturbance.
Carlsten said, "Persons with these problems might be more likely to seek health care and perhaps more likely to receive prescriptions for psychotropic drugs. However, given the extremely high prescription rates for these drugs, a careful evaluation of the suicide risk should always precede prescribing a sedative or hypnotic to an elderly individual".
Article: 'Are sedatives and hypnotics associated with increased suicide risk in the elderly?' Anders Carlsten and Margda Waern, BMC Geriatrics
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Giddings: The 750 GeV Diphoton Resonance Is A Graviton
- The Greenhouse Effect Fallacy
- Inconvenient Truth: There Are Synthetic Pesticide Residues On Organic
- No Higgs Needed: 5 Ways Particle Accelerators Have Changed The World
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- Starting Age Of Marijuana Use May Have Long-term Effects On Brain Development
- The Doctor-Less Hospital Future
- "There are recent longitudinal studies, with well over 100 sets of twins included. The studies disclosed..."
- "Hi Tommaso,There are by now many possibilities to explain possible new particles, and one must..."
- "It may... Or it may not! THAT'S SCIENCE!!! ..."
- "(sarc on) Nice try! (sarc off) Typical reply from an uninformed ditto-head alarmist, that is, to..."
- " Not sure what point you are trying to make, but... No, most of the energy emitted from the Earth..."
- National Academy of Medicine Supports Replacing Faulty Mitochondrial DNA
- Pregnant & Still Smoking: Better Way Needed To Quit
- ‘Healthy Obesity’ May Be an Oxymoron, Study Says
- Keeping the PBJ, While Chasing NBA Immortality
- The Public Toilet Seat’s Place on the ‘Ick Scale’
- Moms-to-Be: Take Chocolate Benefits With Grain of Salt