Sleeping pills have been associated with a four-fold increase in suicide risk in the elderly but is it just bad correlation, in that sleeping pills are just a convenient way to commit suicide? Researchers writing in the BMC Geriatrics say that after adjusting for the presence of psychiatric conditions sedatives and hypnotics were both associated with an increased risk of suicide.
Anders Carlsten and Margda Waern from Gothenburg University carried out a case control study to determine whether specific types of psychoactive drugs were associated with suicide risk in later life.
According to Carlsten, "Sedative treatment was associated with an almost fourteen-fold increase of suicide risk in the crude analyses and remained an independent risk factor for suicide even after adjustment for the presence of mental disorders. Having a current prescription for a hypnotic was associated with a four-fold increase in suicide risk in the adjusted model."
The researchers speculate that the drugs may raise suicide risk by triggering aggressive or impulsive behavior, or by providing the means for people to take an overdose.
They also point out the possibility that these drugs may merely be markers for some other factor related to suicide risk, such as somatic illness, functional disability, alcohol use disorder, interpersonal problems, lack of social network or sleep disturbance.
Carlsten said, "Persons with these problems might be more likely to seek health care and perhaps more likely to receive prescriptions for psychotropic drugs. However, given the extremely high prescription rates for these drugs, a careful evaluation of the suicide risk should always precede prescribing a sedative or hypnotic to an elderly individual".
Article: 'Are sedatives and hypnotics associated with increased suicide risk in the elderly?' Anders Carlsten and Margda Waern, BMC Geriatrics
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- Russian scientists increase DVD storage capacity million times
- Running Sounds May Contain Clues To Injury Prevention
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- "I have not yet unpublished any of your comments here except just now, and all I did was to unpublish..."
- "Okay quick answer, no it is not real. See Debunked: Nibiru will hit Earth on [Insert Date..."
- "Blocking my comments? Cowardly, especially when you are loosing the argument. Again you can find..."
- "Your argument sounds very seductive, although it falls under the category of an appeal to authority..."
- "I just wanted to clarify your statement, When he went into space it was on top of a converted ICBM..."
- The Alzheimer's-Amyloid Hypothesis Confirmed? Not So Fast
- Abortion Rate in U.S. Falls 21% in One Decade
- Child Mummy May Change Timeline for Smallpox
- On Proposed Tanning Bed Ban for Teens, New Study Urges FDA to Act
- Fear Of Dying Got You Down? Retail Therapy Can Help
- It’s Not Brain Surgery, But do you Know What is? Brain Surgery!