In England and Wales, the national health statistics in 2007 showed that there were 8,324 death certificates which named Clostridium difficile. This is a bacterium which causes severe diarrhea in humans and animals as the underlying cause of death, a 28% increase from 2006.
Now Janet Nale of the Department of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation is investigating the contributing factors that make Clostridium difficile so aggressive to direct treatment.
Nale said: “Bacteriophages are viruses that infect bacteria and some can completely change the behaviour of their host bacteria, or affect its ability to cause disease. In some cases, bacteriophages have been shown to convert a mild strain to a severe one.
“My project seeks to understand the contribution viruses make to the level of infection caused by C. difficile R027. My current research will investigate bacteriophages from 91 strains of Clostridium difficile R027 isolated from 9 hospitals in England and Wales.
“These insights should help us to understand one of the main factors that contributes to making C. difficile so aggressive and this can direct treatment.”
She will be presenting her research at the Festival of Postgraduate Research which is taking place on Thursday 25th June in the Belvoir Suite, Charles Wilson Building at the University of Leicester between 11:30am and 1pm. This event is open to the public and is free to attend.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Americans Don't Know How Much Food They Waste
- Michael Pollan Doesn't Just Hate Agriculture, He Hates All Scientists
- EPA Again Delays Report On Safety Of Glyphosate
- Rogue Environmentalism: How Environmental Defense Fund Hijacked American Fishing, Using Walmart Funding
- Nitrate-Reducing Microbes Linked To Migraine Headaches
- The Social Psychology Of Online Trolling, Part 1 Of 3
- Soil Moisture Could Help Predict 'Flash Droughts'
- "This is a joke, right?..."
- "Yes, exactly. I go into it some more here:..."
- "Ok looks as if I need to do a teaser trailer so you know what is in the link, if you had clicked..."
- "Ffs of course its bloody real i dont get why people put things like well if it was real we would..."
- "Because your hundreds of thousands who read these things are scientifically illiterate and buy..."
- How Many Genes Does It Take to Make a Person?
- To Avoid Adult Dysfunction Start 'IN UTERO'
- ACSH Medical Director Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians, We're In The Economist, And More
- The Math of Hunting and Fishing: When to Work Together
- Placebo: Bubbles Of Nothing Are Still Not Something
- People Who Take Drugs May Be Likelier to Commit Suicide