In England and Wales, the national health statistics in 2007 showed that there were 8,324 death certificates which named Clostridium difficile. This is a bacterium which causes severe diarrhea in humans and animals as the underlying cause of death, a 28% increase from 2006.
Now Janet Nale of the Department of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation is investigating the contributing factors that make Clostridium difficile so aggressive to direct treatment.
Nale said: “Bacteriophages are viruses that infect bacteria and some can completely change the behaviour of their host bacteria, or affect its ability to cause disease. In some cases, bacteriophages have been shown to convert a mild strain to a severe one.
“My project seeks to understand the contribution viruses make to the level of infection caused by C. difficile R027. My current research will investigate bacteriophages from 91 strains of Clostridium difficile R027 isolated from 9 hospitals in England and Wales.
“These insights should help us to understand one of the main factors that contributes to making C. difficile so aggressive and this can direct treatment.”
She will be presenting her research at the Festival of Postgraduate Research which is taking place on Thursday 25th June in the Belvoir Suite, Charles Wilson Building at the University of Leicester between 11:30am and 1pm. This event is open to the public and is free to attend.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- INFN Gives 73 Permanent Positions To Young Researchers In Physics
- Lingua Franca Needed: Too Much Science Is Not Published In English
- Lang may yer lum reek – especially in Alaska
- The STENDEC Puzzle
- A Visit To Israel
- Magic Mushrooms And New Concern About Psilocybin Use
- There is no Morality and no Such Thing as Ethics
- "Found another one : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/545975/end-of-the-world-Gods-vengeance..."
- "Thanks :). Actually there are so many fake doomsday red top tabloid stories that I tend to wait..."
- "Beware of this story Robert, another false date: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/570583/Bible..."
- "Do we hav much trouble disambiguating homonyms in speech, eg, bar, bank, sound? We normally use..."
- "Nothing to worry about. It originates in a fake news site called disclose.tv which for instance..."
- Massachusetts Becomes the 20th State Where Naturopaths Can Hurt You
- Turmeric- The New Superfood. Oops. Superfad.
- CRRREST Education: How to Fix America's Illiteracy Problem
- Massive California Rains Also Deliver Drought-Ending Hopes
- Ellie: A New De - (UV) - light for Germaphobe Parents
- Missed Weekday Workouts? Make Up For It On The Weekend