Long after gluten-free, low-fat and tapeworm diets have been consigned to the dustbin of quaint health fad history, vegetarians will still insist their way of is better.
In at least one way, they may be right. It's one of the few dietary choices that has a long enough history for real data to exist, and an analysis of seven clinical trials and 32 studies published from 1900 to 2013 in which participants ate a vegetarian diet, and in which differences in blood pressure (BP) associated with eating a vegetarian diet were measured, found that eating a vegetarian diet was associated with a reduction in the average systolic (peak artery pressure) and diastolic (minimum artery pressure) BP compared with eating an omnivorous (plant and animal) diet.
Writing in JAMA Internal Medicine, the authors note that, in the 32 studies, eating a vegetarian diet was associated with lower average systolic and diastolic blood pressure, compared with normal diets containing meat.
Obviously there could be other factors. If you undertook a vegetarian diet for health rather than cultural reasons, body weight, physical activity and alcohol intake, which also play a role in the risk of developing hypertension, could be much different than other people also. Still, dietary modifications have been shown to be effective for preventing and managing hypertension and a vegetarian diet could be the way to go.
“Further studies are required to clarify which types of vegetarian diets are most strongly associated with lower BP. Research into the implementation of such diets, either as public health initiatives aiming at prevention of hypertension or in clinical settings, would also be of great potential value,” they conclude.
Citation: JAMA Intern Med. February 24, 2014. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.14547
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Columbia's Lame Oz Defense
- Poison As Medicine And How Venom Can Sometimes Be A Savior
- The Evolutionary Psychology Reason Some People Will Be Anti-GMO
- Pictures Of March 20th Eclipse From Svalbard
- A Paper on Leptonic CP violation
- It Shouldn't Be There: Henize 2-10 And The Cosmic Conundrum
- Searching For The A Boson
- "It is an absolute shame that such a brilliant doctor is being crucified in the media, although..."
- "I've got to say that I reserve some measure of awe at the P.T. Barnum gall some people have. Belle..."
- "I don’t often comment on blogs, however I feel compelled to offer my two cents from the peanut..."
- "Question. We know that during the Eemian the Arctic was 8C degrees warmer than today. A core extracted..."
- "This was an inspired rant--much needed. Thank you. I once tried to point out to the Alzheimer's..."