Alcohol, including red wine which has acquired its own modern health food mythology, may be damaging to your health in a way you hadn't thought about before.
It isn't just the booze itself, a group of scholars contends it's the packaging. Phthalate compounds are widespread in our environment and present in many plastics. Obviously, any toxicity of phthalates varies depending on their chemical composition and some compounds are considered to be potential hormone disruptorrs, so they are regulated on an international level, including for those likely to come into contact with food and drink packaging.
A study published in Food Additives&Contaminants: Part A analyzed phthalate concentrations in a variety of French wines and spirits and found that 59% of the wines analyzed contained significant quantities of one particular form of phthalate, dibutyl phthalate, and only 17% did not contain any detectable quantity of at least one of the reprotoxic phthalates.
Chemical structure of phthalates. Credit: DOI:10.1080/19440049.2014.941947
Perhaps a more worrying statistic the research brings to light is that 11% of the wines analyzed did not comply with EU specific migration limits (SML) for materials in contact with food. France hates GMOs but does not mind compounds in their wine that may actually harm people.
The study also analyzed a variety of materials frequently present in French wineries and found that a large number of polymers often contained high quantities of phthalates. Indeed, some containers that are coated in epoxy resin proved to be a major source of contamination. The authors of the paper advise ending the use of such containers.
Citation: P. Chatonneta, S. Boutoua. A. Plana, 'Contamination of wines and spirits by phthalate: Types of contaminants present, contamination sources, and means of prevention', Food Additives & Contaminants: Part A, DOI:10.1080/19440049.2014.941947
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- War On Doping And The Hypocritical Treatment Of Lance Armstrong
- Peanut Consumption Decreases Mortality
- How Marijuana Use Affects People With Bipolar Disorder
- Avoid These 3 Risk Factors, Gain 13 Years Of Quality Life
- The New York Times On Drugs - Wrong, Naive Or Misleading?
- The Borexino Detector And Its Physics Results
- Olive Oil Destroys Cancer Cells
- "I worked in cycling during the Armstrong period. Lance Armstrong was banned from cycling not so..."
- "Speaking as a woman with a family (4 kids) and a tenured professor in STEM, these are all either..."
- "Right off the bat, this article states that Lance has to repay previous Sponsors 10 million. Wrong..."
- "Just a sample of one, but my son’s girlfriend who was bipolar had poor reactions to pot. This..."
- "The lady with the longest confirmed human lifespan in the world was Jeanne Calment and she said..."
- How healthy is genetically modified soybean oil?
- Healthier males help infertile obese females conceive
- Oxytocin nasal spray causes men to eat fewer calories
- Molecule found in tree leaves helps female mice combat weight gain
- Old mothers know best: Killer whale study sheds light on the evolution of menopause