Alcohol, including red wine which has acquired its own modern health food mythology, may be damaging to your health in a way you hadn't thought about before.
It isn't just the booze itself, a group of scholars contends it's the packaging. Phthalate compounds are widespread in our environment and present in many plastics. Obviously, any toxicity of phthalates varies depending on their chemical composition and some compounds are considered to be potential hormone disruptorrs, so they are regulated on an international level, including for those likely to come into contact with food and drink packaging.
A study published in Food Additives&Contaminants: Part A analyzed phthalate concentrations in a variety of French wines and spirits and found that 59% of the wines analyzed contained significant quantities of one particular form of phthalate, dibutyl phthalate, and only 17% did not contain any detectable quantity of at least one of the reprotoxic phthalates.
Chemical structure of phthalates. Credit: DOI:10.1080/19440049.2014.941947
Perhaps a more worrying statistic the research brings to light is that 11% of the wines analyzed did not comply with EU specific migration limits (SML) for materials in contact with food. France hates GMOs but does not mind compounds in their wine that may actually harm people.
The study also analyzed a variety of materials frequently present in French wineries and found that a large number of polymers often contained high quantities of phthalates. Indeed, some containers that are coated in epoxy resin proved to be a major source of contamination. The authors of the paper advise ending the use of such containers.
Citation: P. Chatonneta, S. Boutoua. A. Plana, 'Contamination of wines and spirits by phthalate: Types of contaminants present, contamination sources, and means of prevention', Food Additives & Contaminants: Part A, DOI:10.1080/19440049.2014.941947
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Super Collider Finds Evidence We Are Not Alone In The Universe
- New Plant Detects GMOs
- BPA Will Kill The World - Homeopathically
- Scientific Research Helps Create First Ice Casino Blueprints
- FMRI Study Finds That Mindfulness More Effective Than Scientology At Clearing Thetans
- Kardashian Lumbar Curvature Index - An Evolutionary Hypothesis
- Fighting Plagiarism In Scientific Papers
- "First, now that you mention it Hank does have a dashing elegance about him. I really can't blame..."
- "I agree that this is not a 'it could happen to any of us' situation. They stole a car, had a gun..."
- "Who said anything about taking away your choices? I'm a firm believer in individual choice. If..."
- "I’ve read the “heavy” news item, and it seems to me that the officers at the scene or the..."
- "You were brainwashed? You were paid for 27 years to toil in your lab coat while your masters were..."
- Poses of power are mostly powerful in psychology papers
- If it's a reality program, why aren't 60 percent of the characters obese?
- How diverse is your social network? The answer may reveal something about your values
- Folic acid may help elderly weather heat waves
- Sometimes products benefit from mixed reviews