Alcohol, including red wine which has acquired its own modern health food mythology, may be damaging to your health in a way you hadn't thought about before.
It isn't just the booze itself, a group of scholars contends it's the packaging. Phthalate compounds are widespread in our environment and present in many plastics. Obviously, any toxicity of phthalates varies depending on their chemical composition and some compounds are considered to be potential hormone disruptorrs, so they are regulated on an international level, including for those likely to come into contact with food and drink packaging.
A study published in Food Additives&Contaminants: Part A analyzed phthalate concentrations in a variety of French wines and spirits and found that 59% of the wines analyzed contained significant quantities of one particular form of phthalate, dibutyl phthalate, and only 17% did not contain any detectable quantity of at least one of the reprotoxic phthalates.
Chemical structure of phthalates. Credit: DOI:10.1080/19440049.2014.941947
Perhaps a more worrying statistic the research brings to light is that 11% of the wines analyzed did not comply with EU specific migration limits (SML) for materials in contact with food. France hates GMOs but does not mind compounds in their wine that may actually harm people.
The study also analyzed a variety of materials frequently present in French wineries and found that a large number of polymers often contained high quantities of phthalates. Indeed, some containers that are coated in epoxy resin proved to be a major source of contamination. The authors of the paper advise ending the use of such containers.
Citation: P. Chatonneta, S. Boutoua. A. Plana, 'Contamination of wines and spirits by phthalate: Types of contaminants present, contamination sources, and means of prevention', Food Additives & Contaminants: Part A, DOI:10.1080/19440049.2014.941947
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Planet With Rings Found Outside Solar System - And They Are Bigger Than Saturn
- Age-related Macular Degeneration: Blindness Linked To Calcium Deposits In The Eye
- Think Mosquitoes Bite You More Than Other People? Here's Why You May Be Right
- Take Science Out Of The Climate Change Debate
- Gut Microbes Trigger Autoimmune Disease Later In Life In Mice
- Nutrition Labels Are Hard To Swallow
- Space-Time Warp Measured In J1906 - Then The Neutron Star Disappeared
- "With increasing amount of information collected the contemporary physics needs to move from specialized..."
- "Gender =/= Sex but even sex can be ambiguous. ..."
- "You liken people being unwilling to talk about mental illness to being raped? People don't take..."
- " ---Nearly Half Of Workers Won't Tell Their Boss About A Mental Health Problem And more than half..."
- "Hi Tommaso, where do you see the biggest advantage of this new review journal wrt. the various..."
- Breast cancer will soon be only the second most common deadly tumor for EU women
- Notch signaling: How cancer turns good cells to the dark side
- Flexible work schedules improve health and sleep for employees
- How to create a scientific process freed from systemic bias
- How to jump-start ecosystem restoration after oil-gas development