Wockhardt Limited announced that two of its drugs, WCK 771 and WCK 2349, received the coveted Qualified Infectious Disease Product (QIDP) status from U.S. Food&Drug Administration (FDA).
QIDP status is granted to drugs which act against pathogens which have a high degree of unmet need in their treatment and are identified by the Centers for Disease Control. QIDP status allows for fast track review of the drug application by U.S. FDA, paving way for an early launch. This is the first instance of an Indian Pharmaceutical company receiving a QIDP status.
Dr. Habil Khorakiwala, Wockhardt Founder & Chairman said, "Globally there is a significant antibiotic vacuum due to dual impact of rise in new resistant pathogens and declining research in this area which causes over 50,000 deaths in USA and Europe combined despite having excellent healthcare services.
"The emerging world may as well be sitting on an antibiotic time-bomb ready to explode. Superficially the bacterial diseases can be divided in two categories, gram positive and gram negative and these pathogens have prevalence in both of them. Over the years Wockhardt has developed a strong anti-infective program which focuses on development of drugs which target this antibiotic gap in both gram positive and gram negative domains. These two drugs act against one of the globally rising class of pathogens MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) which causes a range of diseases from the skin infection to severe respiratory infections.
"In case of severe infections like Hospital Acquired Pneumonia (HAP) current medical cure has a very limited reach causing a high unmet need and mortality. Both of these drugs are effective against MRSA and have shown potential in treatment of HAP. WCK 771 is an intravenous (IV) drug while WCK 2349 is a solid oral tablet, which is a significant positive for the drug development scenario as currently there is very little advance drug research in developing solid oral dosages. Most of the research is in developing intravenous drugs which requires significantly higher medical attention and increased rate of hospitalization wherein the chances of catching other infections is very high.
"In addition to the fast track review of its drug application, QIDP status also grants a 5 year extension to the drug patents in USA which is a major support for the commercial aspect of the drug. These drugs will be entering in their global Phase -3 clinical trials early next year."
Wockhardt started its Anti-infective program 17 years back in 1997 to focus on developing next generation antibiotics.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Kudos To "The Independent" Newspaper For Debunking Nibiru "Blood Moon" Hoax
- Climate Change Has Less Impact On Drought Than Previously Expected
- Dogs Understand Both Vocabulary And Intonation Of Human Speech
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- Fewer Cardiovascular Drugs Being Studied In Clinical Trials
- State Of Academic Freedom 2016
- USDA Microbiologist Warns Bacteria In Vaping Products May Be A Health Concern
- "Apparently planet 9 exists. Not Nobiru but another dwarf planet. This planet could destroy a couple..."
- "Thank you. You know, I am of the firm belief that if a blog has a title that includes Science in..."
- "Firstly, I want to inform everyone apart from Kaylee that the following doesn't apply to the topic..."
- "Hello again Robert, Once again, thank you for your informative reply. It's wonderful to still find..."
- "Hi Margaret, thanks, glad you like my replay, and any views are welcome here :). It's only trolling..."
- <a href="/news/2016/08/29/how-herpes-drugs-work-9926">How Do Herpes Drugs Work? <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- <a href="/news/2016/08/30/school-meals-eat-tu-principals-9938">School meals - Eat tu Principals? <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- <a href="/annual-reports">Annual Reports <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- <a href="/news/2016/08/30/some-sugars-help-babies-thrive-9934">Some Sugars Help Babies Thrive <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- <a href="/news/2016/08/30/concussion-recovery-time-cut-half-when-athletes-immediately-sit-9933">Concussion Recovery Time Cut in Half When Athletes Immediately Sit <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- <a href="/news/2016/08/29/icymi-acshs-most-popular-articles-summer-9931">ICYMI: ACSH's Most Popular Articles of the Summer <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- Progress in refining the genetic causes of schizophrenia
- Researchers discover machines can learn by simply observing
- Technique could assess historic changes to Antarctic sea ice and glaciers
- Factors associated with improvement in survival following heart attack
- System may help treat rare genetic disorder, reduce severe side effects