The Kepler spacecraft and its Delta II rocket have been cleared to launch into space at 10:49 p.m. EST Friday night. Its mission; watch a patch of space (see image below) for the next 3.5 years and look for signs of Earth-sized planets moving around stars similar to the sun. The area that Kepler will watch contains around 100,000 stars like the sun and Kepler will look for slight dimming in the stars as planets pass between the star and Kepler. Unlike observatories like Hubble, Kepler will be able to watch the same stars constantly throughout its mission.
Here are 5 quick facts, courtesy of JPL:
(1) Kepler is the world's first mission with the ability to find true Earth analogs -- planets that orbit stars like our sun in the "habitable zone." The habitable zone is the region around a star where the temperature is just right for water -- an essential ingredient for life as we know it -- to pool on a planet's surface.
(2) By the end of Kepler's three-and-one-half-year mission, it will give us a good idea of how common or rare other Earths are in our Milky Way galaxy. This will be an important step in answering the age-old question: Are we alone?
(3) Kepler detects planets by looking for periodic dips in the brightness of stars. Some planets pass in front of their stars as seen from our point of view on Earth; when they do, they cause their stars to dim slightly, an event Kepler can see.
(4) Kepler has the largest camera ever launched into space, a 95-megapixel array of charge-coupled devices, or CCDs, like those in everyday digital cameras.
(5) Kepler's telescope is so powerful that, from its view up in space, it could detect one person in a small town turning off a porch light at night.
Image credit: NASA/JPL
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Lichen: Apparently Happy Couple Really A Threesome
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- People Estimate Their Own Abilities Based On Others' Performance
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- US Could Feed Twice As Many People - If Only Elites Eat Meat
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- "You sir havent got a leg to stand on and should be ashamed of yourself you no its real deep down..."
- "Your information sir is well out of date do you think people have not seen this information before..."
- "Thank you for your long article. I did not read it all because it was too long. But I'm not sure..."
- "Sorry, Tommaso, but the kind of problems ...Consider all thinkable physics- and detector-related..."
- "Dear, sir you are obviously furiously trying to get your book out before you are branded a fraud..."
- Unusual new zoantharian species is the first described solitary species in over 100 years
- Scientists develop painless and inexpensive microneedle system to monitor drugs
- Parasite proteins prompt immune system to fight off ovarian tumors in mice
- Behavioral activation as effective as CBT for depression, at lower cost
- The Lancet: Simpler, cheaper psychological treatment as effective as cognitive behavioural therapy for treating depression