An apple peel powdering process developed at Cornell University to fortify foods has made its first appearance in the Olympics Games. Six thousand 32-gram tubes of “Applebooster" an organic applesauce fortified with dried apple peel powder were given to approximately 750 U.S. Olympic athletes and 250 coaches as they boarded their flights to China earlier this month.
The company says their process enhances the nutritional value of foods by reintroducing ground apple peel into the manufacturing process.
Product developer Dave Copeland visited the U.S. Olympic Committee Food and Nutrition staff to espouse its nutritional virtues and gave them samples to taste. Copeland says the dried apple peel powder could eventually be blended into other foods, like oatmeal and rice cakes, as larger food companies grasp the health benefits and low cost.
“We just wanted the food and nutrition people at the USOC to know that Cornell had developed something very exciting,” said Copeland. “We explained that it was all natural, organic and nutrient-rich. Once the USOC folks tasted it, they invited us to supply 6,000 tubes of Applebooster to the team for their 12-hour flight to China. We view it as our first true trial of Applebooster, and we’re excited to be part of the Games.”
The apple peel powdering process was first developed in 2004 by Cornell researcher Rui Hai Liu, Ph.D., who specializes in dietary phytochemicals (natural antioxidants) to prevent disease. Dr. Liu says his patented process of drying and grinding apple skins to create dried apple peel powder is some of the most exciting work he’s done.
Dr. Liu explained that gram for gram, powdered apple skin is a more nutrient-dense product; and the powder form is more easily used than fresh peel to develop new products with enhanced nutritional value. Further research is still ongoing, but Dr. Liu believes the process will soon be embraced by athletes at all levels of sports for its anti-inflammatory properties; and by moms and children for its nutrients and fiber.
The organic apples and peels are processed and supplied by Leahy Orchards, situated in the heart of apple country just north of the New York border in Franklin Centre, Quebec. Jim Leahy, chairman of the company he founded in 1979, has taken a personal stake in what he calls 21st century food science.
“I turned my company over to my sons 20 months ago,” Mr. Leahy said. “But I’ve come out of retirement to work on this. I think we can revolutionize the apple industry.”
Dave Ellis, RD, CSCS, widely regarded as among the top sports dietitians in the U.S., is working with Appleboost Products Inc. as a scientific advisor, handling the analytical and FDA work necessary to bring dried apple peel powder(DAPP™) to the mainstream food industry.
“Natural functional foods like DAPP are something positive that health professionals can stand behind,” Ellis said. “With Americans getting only about half the daily requirements of fiber, fruits and vegetables, I’m optimistic that DAPP-fortified products can have a positive influence on the health of athletes of all ages."
Ellis is held in high regard by the USOC, and helped open doors to the Olympians and their coaches. Terri Moreman, associate director for food and nutrition at the USOC, along with her colleague Adam Korzun, a registered dietitian, granted their approval to provide the Applebooster energy snack tubes to all U.S. Olympic athletes.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- Early Human Ancestor Did Not Have The Jaws Of A Nutcracker
- How Gut Inflammation Sparks Colon Cancer
- Increase In Volcanic Eruptions At The End Of The Ice Age Caused By Melting Ice Caps And Erosion
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- A Conservative Argument For Genetic Modification Of Embryos
- A Long, Hot View: Climate Change Likely To Extend Across Next 10,000 Years
- "This is all just fear-mongering, clap-trap! If things go according to these prediction, but no..."
- "like the sages of israel say g-d created the rules and he dont owe anyone anything weather this..."
- "This is not surprising. In fact in a cohort with autism in general who did not have this specific..."
- "Or Genius or Juventas......"
- Here’s Why Surge in Hepatitis B Cases is No Surprise
- Whooping Cough Booster Declines Rapidly Over 4 Years
- Unapproved Stem Cell Therapies, a Public Health Menace
- Enjoying the Sun’s Vitamin D, While Blocking Skin Cancer
- Norovirus: From Satan’s Biohazard Lab To Your Duodenum
- Health Briefs: What You Missed Over the Weekend
- Arthroscopic knee surgery does not cure sensations of knee catching or locking
- 'Hidden fish' genus described for 2 new weakly electric mormyrid species from Gabon
- Intensifying Atlantic storm examined by NASA's GPM
- Making sense of metallic glass
- National underutilization of preemptive and early kidney transplants