An apple peel powdering process developed at Cornell University to fortify foods has made its first appearance in the Olympics Games. Six thousand 32-gram tubes of “Applebooster" an organic applesauce fortified with dried apple peel powder were given to approximately 750 U.S. Olympic athletes and 250 coaches as they boarded their flights to China earlier this month.
The company says their process enhances the nutritional value of foods by reintroducing ground apple peel into the manufacturing process.
Product developer Dave Copeland visited the U.S. Olympic Committee Food and Nutrition staff to espouse its nutritional virtues and gave them samples to taste. Copeland says the dried apple peel powder could eventually be blended into other foods, like oatmeal and rice cakes, as larger food companies grasp the health benefits and low cost.
“We just wanted the food and nutrition people at the USOC to know that Cornell had developed something very exciting,” said Copeland. “We explained that it was all natural, organic and nutrient-rich. Once the USOC folks tasted it, they invited us to supply 6,000 tubes of Applebooster to the team for their 12-hour flight to China. We view it as our first true trial of Applebooster, and we’re excited to be part of the Games.”
The apple peel powdering process was first developed in 2004 by Cornell researcher Rui Hai Liu, Ph.D., who specializes in dietary phytochemicals (natural antioxidants) to prevent disease. Dr. Liu says his patented process of drying and grinding apple skins to create dried apple peel powder is some of the most exciting work he’s done.
Dr. Liu explained that gram for gram, powdered apple skin is a more nutrient-dense product; and the powder form is more easily used than fresh peel to develop new products with enhanced nutritional value. Further research is still ongoing, but Dr. Liu believes the process will soon be embraced by athletes at all levels of sports for its anti-inflammatory properties; and by moms and children for its nutrients and fiber.
The organic apples and peels are processed and supplied by Leahy Orchards, situated in the heart of apple country just north of the New York border in Franklin Centre, Quebec. Jim Leahy, chairman of the company he founded in 1979, has taken a personal stake in what he calls 21st century food science.
“I turned my company over to my sons 20 months ago,” Mr. Leahy said. “But I’ve come out of retirement to work on this. I think we can revolutionize the apple industry.”
Dave Ellis, RD, CSCS, widely regarded as among the top sports dietitians in the U.S., is working with Appleboost Products Inc. as a scientific advisor, handling the analytical and FDA work necessary to bring dried apple peel powder(DAPP™) to the mainstream food industry.
“Natural functional foods like DAPP are something positive that health professionals can stand behind,” Ellis said. “With Americans getting only about half the daily requirements of fiber, fruits and vegetables, I’m optimistic that DAPP-fortified products can have a positive influence on the health of athletes of all ages."
Ellis is held in high regard by the USOC, and helped open doors to the Olympians and their coaches. Terri Moreman, associate director for food and nutrition at the USOC, along with her colleague Adam Korzun, a registered dietitian, granted their approval to provide the Applebooster energy snack tubes to all U.S. Olympic athletes.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Phase-Change Materials Set New Speed Limit For Silicon
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- Watching Neurons Learn: Learning New Ideas Is More Difficult
- M60-UCD1: Tiny Galaxy, Supermassive Black Hole
- Witness The Singularity AI Nanotech Co-Evolutionary Merger
- Muslim Hijab Linked To Less Negative Body Image Among Women
- Once You See Hershey’s New Logo As The Poo Emoji, There Is No Going Back
- " Quantum Mechanics (intellectual dishonesty) at its finest, a never ending logical fallacy of moving..."
- "Please re-read the first paragraph. It's missing an ending......"
- "If being very restrained brings you to write stuff as AFAIK he has never talked about the gaps..."
- "Hi Mephisto,we do have a similar problem to the one you mention in high-energy physics - when we..."
- "Concerning his political opinions, Lubos is a deluded annoying crank, but credit has to be given..."
- Gibbon genome sequence deepens understanding of primates rapid chromosomal rearrangements
- Combining antibodies, iron nanoparticles and magnets steers stem cells to injured organs
- Messier 54 lithium: This star cluster is not what it seems
- Sharks more abundant on healthy coral reefs
- Using plants to produce enzyme may provide treatment for high blood pressure in lungs