Photo Upload Oct 19 2010 23:39
Weird and Wonderful of Universe: Comets and Meteorites (http://scienceray.com/astronomy/weird-and-wonderful-of-universe-comets-a...) Comets’ orbits are divided into two types: short-period, which take up to 200 years to orbit the Sun, and long-period, which take more than 200 years. Short-period comets originate in the Kuiper belt – debris orbiting beyond Neptune and Pluto. Long-period ones originate in the Oort cloud, orbiting the Sun far beyond the planets. Comets can be dislodged from their orbits by the gravity of a star and pulled into the inner Solar System.
- Unique Fragment From Earth’s Formation Returns Home
- Aurigid's Best Kiess Brings Shooting Stars
- HARPS Discovery- HD 40307 And Its Three Super-Earths
- First Glimpses From The Perseid Meteor Shower
- A 'Missing Link' In Space? Maybe Not, But A Backward-Orbiting Object May Provide A New Origin For Comets Anyway