Weird and Wonderful of Universe: Comets and Meteorites (http://scienceray.com/astronomy/weird-and-wonderful-of-universe-comets-a...) Comets’ orbits are divided into two types: short-period, which take up to 200 years to orbit the Sun, and long-period, which take more than 200 years. Short-period comets originate in the Kuiper belt – debris orbiting beyond Neptune and Pluto. Long-period ones originate in the Oort cloud, orbiting the Sun far beyond the planets. Comets can be dislodged from their orbits by the gravity of a star and pulled into the inner Solar System.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Four Novae: Fermi Space Telescope Reveals New Source Of Gamma Rays
- High-Dose Estrogen Birth Control Linked To Increased Breast Cancer Risk
- Reassuring SUSY Seekers
- IRC 0218 9.6 Billion Years Ago Is Farthest Lensing Galaxy Yet
- "Extraordinary Claims, The 0.000029% Solution" And The 38 MeV Boson AT ICNFP 2014
- Science 2.0: Thomson Reuters Pledges More Impact Factor Transparency
- Pushing More Math, Science Linked To More High School Dropouts Among Minorities
- "I am not sure I understand this idea of rewiring and incentive-sensitization. I am in the drug..."
- "Yeah, because colonizing less habitable planets is so practical in this day and age. Humans haven't..."
- "In science we must be careful with our assumptions; and we must distinguish clearly observable..."
- "Ha ha, pleasure Steve :) BTW just for the record, I personally couldn't care less who reads my..."
- "Actually we can prove a negative and it occurs all the time. To take your point about an invisible..."
- Doctor of Grace - A Critical Reappraisal of Augustine
- Clues to curbing obesity found in neuronal 'sweet spot'
- Pepper and halt: Spicy chemical may inhibit gut tumors
- Study reveals one reason brain tumors are more common in men
- Understanding how neurons regulate metabolism in response to a high-fat diet