Weird and Wonderful of Universe: Comets and Meteorites (http://scienceray.com/astronomy/weird-and-wonderful-of-universe-comets-a...) Comets’ orbits are divided into two types: short-period, which take up to 200 years to orbit the Sun, and long-period, which take more than 200 years. Short-period comets originate in the Kuiper belt – debris orbiting beyond Neptune and Pluto. Long-period ones originate in the Oort cloud, orbiting the Sun far beyond the planets. Comets can be dislodged from their orbits by the gravity of a star and pulled into the inner Solar System.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Are There Evidences For Cosmic Inflation? (I)
- Meet BPA-Free, The New BPA
- Global Warming Didn't Divorce Us, It's Just On A Break
- The Future Of Nuclear Energy May Be A Battery
- With Solar Panels In Peril, Asians Look To Lead In Energy Storage
- Tight Constraints On Dark Matter From CMS
- Have Strange Baryons Been Found?
- "As reminded in my post « A Privileged Space Direction? Spinorial Space-time, WMAP, Planck (I)..."
- "Here is the 18+ years of insignificant warming, <.05C degrees, in RSS satellite anomalies for which..."
- "On one hand Reto claims that satellites are detecting warming in the Arctic that surface stations..."
- "The climatologists are always explaining these variations from their stated projections - *AFTER*..."
- "Radium Water..."
- Research helps explain why elderly have trouble sleeping
- Artificial reefs? Seals forage at offshore wind farms
- Is China's 50 percent cesarean section delivery rate too high?
- Review of clinical treatment of bronchiolitis in infants reveals over-reliance on one test
- Growing up poor affects adults' sense of control, impulsiveness when faced with economic uncertainty