The Chinese Spring Festival or Chun Jie starts tomorrow 10th February. In case you are unfamiliar with the annual animals in the Chinese calendar we are now entering the year of the snake - 蛇 She ( water version). For most westerners the Spring Festival is known as the Chinese New Year.
I am quite certain that I will not shock you when I reveal that I have chosen celestial snakes as the topic of this Saturday in Space! I had such fun looking for snakes in space and in the occasion of the Chinese New Year I will in fact offer you more than one of the species. After all, it is THE most important holiday for the planets most populous country. Happy New Year to all Chinese around the world!
Warning: Be aware of snakes!
I'll start with the dark nebula named The Snake Nebula - or B72.
In this image you'll also find a couple of other dark nebulae but it should be pretty easy to spot the snake. Make sure to click on the image for an embiggened version. Cute little story about this particular snake here. Credit Tom McQuillan/Adam Block/NOAO/AURA/NSF
A galactic snake: The core of a thick, sooty cloud large enough to swallow dozens of solar
systems. It could be compared to say a "snake's belly" only this celestial version may be harboring massive stars in the process of forming. This snake is located about 11,000 light-years away in the constellation Sagittarius. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
In case you didn't see it in the image above, here there should be no doubt. It IS a snake.
But we do not have to travel that far to find a snakes in space. - Our dear Sun can whip up one of the species as well. Here is a filament version seen on the Sun's edge.
NASA has captured a snake moving on the Sun. See it for yourself here. Credit: NASA
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- The Genetic History Of Ice Age Europe
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- New Interpretation Of The Rök Runestone Inscription Changes View Of Viking Age
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- Race And Racism 101 Lecture 1 Intro & Terminology
- Three Earth-sized Planets Found Orbiting A Tiny Nearby Star
- "Your grasping at straws. You are the one trying to prove that climate scientists can't make accurate..."
- "1. There was no 20 year hiatus. Global warming has continued unabated for the last 20 years. Starting..."
- " And the twenty year hiatus in warming was captured by those predictions? NOT! Esplain that one..."
- "Something we don't pay much attention to is that Syria, Libya, and Iraq populations have gone up..."
- Maintaining ‘Biggest Loser’ Success is Harder than Attaining It
- Early Retirees Might Want to Think Again
- Got The Gout, Ebenezer? Why It Remains A Subject Of Ridicule
- 3 Reasons Aerial Pesticides Are Not Causing Autism
- Most Stores Refuse E-Cigarette Sales to Minors
- Vitamin C Conundrum for the Organic Crowd
- UC San Diego bioengineers create first online search engine for functional genomics data
- UK Health Check has only modest impact on risk factors for cardiovascular disease
- Adult brain prunes branched connections of new neurons
- Five new breast cancer genes and range of mutations pave way for personalized treatment
- Quantum sensors for high-precision magnetometry of superconductors