Gas looks so pretty in space, don't you agree?
This particular stellar gas is named planetary nebula ESO 456-67 . Do not get the wrong idea reading 'planetary'. This celestial object has nothing to do with planets. Back in the days when telescopes provided less resolution than the ones we have today, it looked pretty small and hence was named planetary nebulae (as opposed to the bigger stars). What it really is, are shells with gas after stars fling them off towards the end of their lives. Check out the lives of stars here in the Hertzprung-Russell diagram. What is left after the star got rid of this gas is a small dense white dwarf.
It is quite lovely, really.
Planetary nebula ESO 456-67. Credit: ESA/Hubble&NASA. Acknowledgement: Jean-Christophe Lambry
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Erupting Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Sits On A Massive Magma Hot Spot
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- Genetically Modified Stem Cells Kill Brain Tumors
- How Gut Bacteria Ensure A Healthy Brain – and Could Play A Role In Treating Depression
- Ebola's Evolutionary Roots Are Ancient
- We're Too Late To Prevent 137,000 More Ebola Cases, Says Epidemiology Paper
- Home, Workplace, Tomb – Fury And The Reality Of The World War II Tank
- "/* Science advances as much by mistakes as by plans. */ Apparently the mainstream physicists are..."
- "Part of being a theorist in any subfield is trying to explain the results that we have in hand..."
- "This essay interested me immensely. My father claimed to be an 'atheist' all his life but..."
- "Not all of us are explorers, much less pioneers. The author is certainly not the latter and too..."
- " Obviously 300% more fish farming means more illnesses and more antibiotic use.Is it really..."
- How to sell a toxic pesticide the smart way–call it organic
- Leftist dystopia? Anti-technology fever animates opposition to GMOs and other ‘disruptive’ technologies
- CDC faced a nearly impossible balancing act with Ebola, and failed
- Why Chobani reversed course, making yoghurt only from milk from cows not fed GMO grain
- Monterey, California, hotbed of anti-GMO activism, home to new GMO corn farm
- Evolution is sometimes messy or even outright ridiculous