Gas looks so pretty in space, don't you agree?
This particular stellar gas is named planetary nebula ESO 456-67 . Do not get the wrong idea reading 'planetary'. This celestial object has nothing to do with planets. Back in the days when telescopes provided less resolution than the ones we have today, it looked pretty small and hence was named planetary nebulae (as opposed to the bigger stars). What it really is, are shells with gas after stars fling them off towards the end of their lives. Check out the lives of stars here in the Hertzprung-Russell diagram. What is left after the star got rid of this gas is a small dense white dwarf.
It is quite lovely, really.
Planetary nebula ESO 456-67. Credit: ESA/Hubble&NASA. Acknowledgement: Jean-Christophe Lambry
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Will Asteroid 2012 TC4 Hit Earth in October 2017?
- Standards needed for post-conviction review of scientific evidence
- The Era Of The Atom
- Can Moons Have Moonlets? Or Rings? Moonlets Of Pluto's Moons?
- Thorium Can Serve As A Nuclear Fuel For Commercial Electricity Generation
- Singular Value Decomposition Method Increases Accuracy Of Ovarian Cancer Diagnosis
- Patrick Matthew, The Overlooked Third Man Of Natural Selection
- "I used to think the same. Internal Combustion Engines are part of a group known as Heat Engines..."
- "The linear range of an alpha particle is very small in materials, typically measured in microns..."
- "Right good point :). I wonder if Pluto will have irregular moons also :).Here is a plot of the..."
- "BTW several of the other KBOs have moons Indeed, counting Pluto, then amongst the 8 largest, five..."
- "Well would be best of all to do both :). Voyager 1 could have visited Pluto before perihelion...."
- Dutch doctors withhold/withdraw treatment in many elderly patients
- New guidelines for how to treat a first seizure
- Soil can limit ability of plants to slow climate change
- Women who smoke more likely to give birth to twins
- It shouldn't be there: Black hole hunters use Henize 2-10 to tackle a cosmic conundrum