Gas looks so pretty in space, don't you agree?
This particular stellar gas is named planetary nebula ESO 456-67 . Do not get the wrong idea reading 'planetary'. This celestial object has nothing to do with planets. Back in the days when telescopes provided less resolution than the ones we have today, it looked pretty small and hence was named planetary nebulae (as opposed to the bigger stars). What it really is, are shells with gas after stars fling them off towards the end of their lives. Check out the lives of stars here in the Hertzprung-Russell diagram. What is left after the star got rid of this gas is a small dense white dwarf.
It is quite lovely, really.
Planetary nebula ESO 456-67. Credit: ESA/Hubble&NASA. Acknowledgement: Jean-Christophe Lambry
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lichen: Apparently Happy Couple Really A Threesome
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- Curcumin And Silymarin Plant Compounds Give '1-2' Punch To Colon Cancer
- Are Think Tanks More Credible To Government Employees? Not Really
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- "As you said at the beginning, I was really in the mood to kick myself after realizing what I had..."
- "Here are a fewPlanet Nibiru is not real. by Earth and Sky chief editor Bruce McClure ..."
- "Okay, just to pick up on one thing. First, the NASA rover are tested in various deserts, and so..."
- "The moon landings was fake actually all the Apollo missions were fear of the cold war and countries..."
- "Its fairly hard to belive one person who says its not real to the thousands of people who say it..."
- Parasite proteins prompt immune system to fight off ovarian tumors in mice
- Behavioral activation as effective as CBT for depression, at lower cost
- The Lancet: Simpler, cheaper psychological treatment as effective as cognitive behavioural therapy for treating depression
- Ultrasensitive sensor using N-doped graphene
- Brain activity and response to food cues differ in severely obese women, UTSW study shows