Gas looks so pretty in space, don't you agree?
This particular stellar gas is named planetary nebula ESO 456-67 . Do not get the wrong idea reading 'planetary'. This celestial object has nothing to do with planets. Back in the days when telescopes provided less resolution than the ones we have today, it looked pretty small and hence was named planetary nebulae (as opposed to the bigger stars). What it really is, are shells with gas after stars fling them off towards the end of their lives. Check out the lives of stars here in the Hertzprung-Russell diagram. What is left after the star got rid of this gas is a small dense white dwarf.
It is quite lovely, really.
Planetary nebula ESO 456-67. Credit: ESA/Hubble&NASA. Acknowledgement: Jean-Christophe Lambry
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- We're Playing Classical Music All Wrong
- Football Physics: The Science Of Deflategate
- Superbugs: How Montezuma's Revenge Impacts Society Long After That Trip
- The Plot Of The Week: CMS Search For Majorana Neutrinos
- Atmospheric Warming Heats The Bottom Of Ice Sheets Also
- Is Glass A Solid Or A Liquid? Yes
- Deflate-gate: Cheating People versus a Flawed Pre-Game Process
- "Error bars are the responsible thing to do. I don't see an aesthetic problem. Nice pix last week..."
- "I think a smaller market means a lot higher quality. We get so many terrible pop songs because..."
- "The air inside a leather football is not an ideal gas. That is what I meant.As far as the..."
- "I don't agree at all. Classical music appeals to certain people and always will. That there aren't..."
- "Not sure what you mean by 'the air is not ideal, this is a leather football', since whether air..."
- Ventricular assist devices induce heart muscle regeneration
- Targeting DNA repair pathways could provide better treatment for neuroblastoma in kids
- KIT gene linked to drug resistance in testicular cancer
- Concerns over skin whitener marketing
- Mortality-To-Incidence Equation Helps Identify Global Disparities in Cancer Screening and Treatment