No, it is NOT a star! Several orders of magnitudes far from being a star actually. I am talking about quasars (quasi-stellar radio source) - often being described as distant stars. Oh, astronomers pain.
Quasars are absolutely fascinating. Little understood yet being used in our daily lives. Yes, you read me correctly. Since quasars are so far away and only move ever so slightly on the sky, we can use them as fixing points for our reference frame. The reference frame is the coordinate system we define all positions in and is one of the geodetic products. You might have heard about VLBI - Very Long Baseline Interferometry radio antennas in astronomy. They are actually being use for more earthly matters as well. The IVS provides us with observations of a selected group of quasars and combined with GPS and other space-based and in-situ instruments we get the high accuracy positioning products we all enjoy on a daily basis.
I also find this heavenly objects to be quite pretty. Enjoy!
The jet (blueish color) was produced by a quasar named GB 1428+4217, or GB 1428 for short, and is located 12.4 billion light years from Earth. Credits: X-ray: NASA/CXC/NRC/C.Cheung et al; Optical: NASA/STScI; Radio: NSF/NRAO/VLA
Learn more about Quasar on BBC or continue reading on NASA
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- LIGO, Gravitational Waves, And Laser Interferometry
- Giddings: The 750 GeV Diphoton Resonance Is A Graviton
- The Greenhouse Effect Fallacy
- New Government Guidelines Won't Impact Alcohol Drinking
- Starting Age Of Marijuana Use May Have Long-term Effects On Brain Development
- Internet Searches Reflect Increase In E-Cigarette Popularity
- "Since one direction will be less time in the air (assuming this model is even correct) due to an..."
- "Sadly, given the documented events of his admin., the rule by regulation and the flouting of the..."
- "You may not like my snark, but you haven’t argued with my logic...."
- "After promising 'transparency', Obama has gone down a road of (probably unconstitutional unilateralism)..."
- "Yes the details of the gravitational waves they detect will be very important. Will they..."
- Cotton Candy Cure for Future of Organ Transplants
- Walgreens ‘Selling to Heroin Users’? Yes, to Save Their Lives
- Age-specific Rates Of Dementia In Decline — But Not The Number Of New Patients
- Undoing 35 Years Of Progress? Resistance To AIDS Meds in Africa
- Science Acceptance: The Urban-Rural Divide
- Frying Foods in Olive Oil May Provide Health Benefits