Everybody knows that the orbital momentum is "quantized" and its z-projection has integer eigenvalues in units of . Too few, however, know that it is, in fact, a quasi-particle angular momentum which is integer-valued, not the particle one!
To see it, let us consider two spinless particles with masses m1 and m2 coupled with any central potential, say, with . The quasi-particle with the reduced mass describes the relative particle motion and depends on both particles in a two-particle compound system. It is its orbital momentum which is quantized in terms of integer numbers, namely, ranges from to .
The particle-1 and particle-2 orbital (angular) momenta and , calculated relative to the system center of inertia, are just certain, generally non-integer fractions of .
In particular, and are not obliged to have integer values! Why? Because they are simply non-integer functions of operator and are determined with its eigenvalues. For example, in the non-relativistic Positronium (where the particle masses are equal), if , the electron orbital momentum has the following values of projections: -1/2, 0, +1/2.
Surprise! And the same statement is valid for the positron projections in Positronium. "Half-integer" projections of a particle orbital momentum are thus possible and there is no kidding in it.
The particle orbital momenta in a bound system with respect to the system center of inertia are not momenta of independent, non-correlated subsystems. On the contrary, they are related and the rule of addition of independent angular momenta, usually taught in courses of Quantum Mechanics, is not applicable to them.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Will Female Viagra Be An FDA Boner?
- Grading The President's Strategy To Promote Bee Health
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Catechins In Green Tea Reduce Prostate Cancer In Men At High Risk
- The Atlantic Ocean's Cool Phase Will Change The World's Weather
- San Andreas, The Movie: 5 Geology Facts Versus Fictions
- Highlights Of The INFN School Of Statistics For Physicists
- "Thanks for the comments! My limited experience with the FDA has given me the impression that..."
- "Thanks for the excellent analysis. Compare it, though, to the recent material here in S2.0 about..."
- "We usually tried to avoid ethanol for obvious reasons, but were fine with DMSO. Didn't much care..."
- "When that paragraph started, I assumed it was one of the practical physics challenges as part of..."
- "This is celastrol, the active compound under investigation. I looked up the page for Tripterygium..."