Everybody knows that the orbital momentum is "quantized" and its z-projection has integer eigenvalues in units of . Too few, however, know that it is, in fact, a quasi-particle angular momentum which is integer-valued, not the particle one!
To see it, let us consider two spinless particles with masses m1 and m2 coupled with any central potential, say, with . The quasi-particle with the reduced mass describes the relative particle motion and depends on both particles in a two-particle compound system. It is its orbital momentum which is quantized in terms of integer numbers, namely, ranges from to .
The particle-1 and particle-2 orbital (angular) momenta and , calculated relative to the system center of inertia, are just certain, generally non-integer fractions of .
In particular, and are not obliged to have integer values! Why? Because they are simply non-integer functions of operator and are determined with its eigenvalues. For example, in the non-relativistic Positronium (where the particle masses are equal), if , the electron orbital momentum has the following values of projections: -1/2, 0, +1/2.
Surprise! And the same statement is valid for the positron projections in Positronium. "Half-integer" projections of a particle orbital momentum are thus possible and there is no kidding in it.
The particle orbital momenta in a bound system with respect to the system center of inertia are not momenta of independent, non-correlated subsystems. On the contrary, they are related and the rule of addition of independent angular momenta, usually taught in courses of Quantum Mechanics, is not applicable to them.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Statistics Session At A Particle Physics Conference ?
- Crossref To Accept Preprints In Change To Long-standing Policy
- Beekeepers Can Be Hazardous To Bees
- Young Bisexual Women More Susceptible To Depression
- Wildlife Loss In Tropical Forests Is Bad News For Everyone
- The Venus Flytrap: From Prey To Predator
- The Number Of My Publications Has Four Digits
- "Whenever a study addresses a subject like this, it is a forgone conclusion that the suggested cause..."
- "Right - the chances that I know more about that than the examiner are very high anyway :)In any..."
- "So is this thing real then or not read somewhere saying it will hit around September this year..."
- "This is NOT my goal. ... My goal is ... a number that can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and..."
- "Is anyone aware that you have to have 80% villous (spelling?) atrophy to get a celiac diagnosis..."
- Continental drift created biologically diverse coral reefs
- Silk keeps fruit fresh without refrigeration, according to Tufts study
- Temple study examines whether compression stockings can prevent post-thrombotic syndrome
- Research collaboration IDs serum biomarkers that predict preclinical IBD development and complications
- 'Super males' emerge from male-dominated populations, study finds