Fabrizio Tamburini, the Italian researcher who has discovered an innovative way to multiply the transmission of electromagnetic signals by exploiting the vorticity of photons, has received last Saturday the "San Valentino prize" at Palazzo Gazzolli in Terni, Italy.
The annual prize was founded in 1969 by Agostino Pensa and is meant to recognize the professional devotion of scientist and artists to their work. In the past years the prize has gone, among others, to several distinguished physicists: Ugo Amaldi, Carlo Rubbia, Emilio Segre', Tullio Regge.
Tamburini (left in the above picture at the prize giving in Terni), who until a few years ago was a practically unknown researcher with no permanent position and allegedly scarce prospects of a career in academia, is the mastermind of a groundbreaking discovery which is going to revolutionize the world of electromagnetic transmissions. He is a striking example of how Italy is incapable of recognizing the talent of its scientists. Now he does not need the support of Academia any longer: he is receiving offers from the major companies in the world, eager to exploit his patented techniques. Below is a token of appreciation he recently received from one of those companies -a Ferrari. Tamburini is an avid pilot and he often regrets having chosen physics rather than professional driving competitions as a career - but we are all happy that he ended up as a scientist!
Along with his collaborators, Tamburini has recently produced experimental evidence that radio techniques can be used for
synthesizing and analyzing non-integer electromagnetic (EM) orbital
angular momentum (OAM) of radiation. The technique used
amounts to sample, in space and time, the EM field vectors and digitally
processing the data to calculate the vortex structure, the spatial
phase distribution, and the OAM spectrum of the radiation. The
experimental verification that OAM-carrying beams can be readily
generated and exploited by using radio techniques paves the way to an
entirely new paradigm of radar and radio communication protocols.
For more information on Tamburini's research, see this article.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- Highest Energy Collisions ? Not In My Book
- Blue Buffalo Admits Its Pet Food Contains The Poultry Byproduct It Ridicules In Competitors
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- NaSt1 - One-Of-A-Kind 'Nasty' Star
- "Okay for what she says about BDD, see her paper here: Association of spirochetal infection..."
- "Bovine Digital Dermatitis was connected to morgellons disease because of wart-like and hair-like..."
- "FINALLY, a supportive article that reviews the facts and is not afraid to put it out in a positive..."
- "Thank you for your wonderful article. It is refreshing to see someone write about this disease..."
- "Dear all,thank you for your thoughts. As it often happens, the global common knowledge of a pool..."
- Vaccines developed for H5N1, H7N9 avian influenza strains
- European Medicines Agency recommends full approval of ibrutinib to treat Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia
- In Northern Ireland, sectarianism has become sextarianism
- RegeneRx Phase II Dry Eye Trial results
- How schizophrenia risk gene DISC1 affects the brain