Fabrizio Tamburini, the Italian researcher who has discovered an innovative way to multiply the transmission of electromagnetic signals by exploiting the vorticity of photons, has received last Saturday the "San Valentino prize" at Palazzo Gazzolli in Terni, Italy.
The annual prize was founded in 1969 by Agostino Pensa and is meant to recognize the professional devotion of scientist and artists to their work. In the past years the prize has gone, among others, to several distinguished physicists: Ugo Amaldi, Carlo Rubbia, Emilio Segre', Tullio Regge.
Tamburini (left in the above picture at the prize giving in Terni), who until a few years ago was a practically unknown researcher with no permanent position and allegedly scarce prospects of a career in academia, is the mastermind of a groundbreaking discovery which is going to revolutionize the world of electromagnetic transmissions. He is a striking example of how Italy is incapable of recognizing the talent of its scientists. Now he does not need the support of Academia any longer: he is receiving offers from the major companies in the world, eager to exploit his patented techniques. Below is a token of appreciation he recently received from one of those companies -a Ferrari. Tamburini is an avid pilot and he often regrets having chosen physics rather than professional driving competitions as a career - but we are all happy that he ended up as a scientist!
Along with his collaborators, Tamburini has recently produced experimental evidence that radio techniques can be used for
synthesizing and analyzing non-integer electromagnetic (EM) orbital
angular momentum (OAM) of radiation. The technique used
amounts to sample, in space and time, the EM field vectors and digitally
processing the data to calculate the vortex structure, the spatial
phase distribution, and the OAM spectrum of the radiation. The
experimental verification that OAM-carrying beams can be readily
generated and exploited by using radio techniques paves the way to an
entirely new paradigm of radar and radio communication protocols.
For more information on Tamburini's research, see this article.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- B0 Meson Lifetime Difference Measured By ATLAS
- Case For Moon: Gateway To Open Ended Human Exploration, With Planetary Protection Central - On The SpaceShow
- Current Atmospheric Models Underestimate The Dirtiness Of Arctic Air
- Ancient DNA Study Finds Phoenician From Carthage Had European Ancestry
- The Politics Of Antibiotic Resistance Factor MCR
- The Real Cost Of Milk
- After Losing In Government, Environmental Groups Embrace The Free Market
- "I agree with you in theory, but in the case of this particular salmon, I do not think it will turn..."
- "Homeopathy is based on the ‘like cures like’ principle: if a substance causes a set of symptoms..."
- "scuentific ?????????..."
- "Irrefutable evidence? This is not in agreement with the falsability criteria. Is dogmatism...."
- "Ernst has shown many times, through reviews of studies that homeopathy does not work. 2002 Review..."
- The taste or smell of foods can affect aging, say scientists
- New malaria drugs kill by promoting premature parasite division
- How prions kill neurons: New culture system shows early toxicity to dendritic spines
- The brain needs cleaning to stay healthy
- In brain-injured patients, a way to measure awareness or its impending return