Fabrizio Tamburini, the Italian researcher who has discovered an innovative way to multiply the transmission of electromagnetic signals by exploiting the vorticity of photons, has received last Saturday the "San Valentino prize" at Palazzo Gazzolli in Terni, Italy.
The annual prize was founded in 1969 by Agostino Pensa and is meant to recognize the professional devotion of scientist and artists to their work. In the past years the prize has gone, among others, to several distinguished physicists: Ugo Amaldi, Carlo Rubbia, Emilio Segre', Tullio Regge.
Tamburini (left in the above picture at the prize giving in Terni), who until a few years ago was a practically unknown researcher with no permanent position and allegedly scarce prospects of a career in academia, is the mastermind of a groundbreaking discovery which is going to revolutionize the world of electromagnetic transmissions. He is a striking example of how Italy is incapable of recognizing the talent of its scientists. Now he does not need the support of Academia any longer: he is receiving offers from the major companies in the world, eager to exploit his patented techniques. Below is a token of appreciation he recently received from one of those companies -a Ferrari. Tamburini is an avid pilot and he often regrets having chosen physics rather than professional driving competitions as a career - but we are all happy that he ended up as a scientist!
Along with his collaborators, Tamburini has recently produced experimental evidence that radio techniques can be used for
synthesizing and analyzing non-integer electromagnetic (EM) orbital
angular momentum (OAM) of radiation. The technique used
amounts to sample, in space and time, the EM field vectors and digitally
processing the data to calculate the vortex structure, the spatial
phase distribution, and the OAM spectrum of the radiation. The
experimental verification that OAM-carrying beams can be readily
generated and exploited by using radio techniques paves the way to an
entirely new paradigm of radar and radio communication protocols.
For more information on Tamburini's research, see this article.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Outsourcing: 3 Ways To Stop Medical Research Brain Drain
- Collectivism Ruins Creativity
- We're Playing Classical Music All Wrong
- Easter Island Mystery: What Really Happened To Rapa Nui Society?
- Reviews In Physics - A New Journal
- Cometary Globule CG4 - From God's Hand To The Mouth Of The Beast
- Adult Stem Cells Used To Grow New Hair
- "Well yes, probably I would not write we favor young writers in the site, but that is a rather fuzzy..."
- "On telly we were shown the shutdown taking place in New York City. In regard to public transport..."
- "Yes, I see what you mean. I was saying that due the oil displacement it would shrink, but that..."
- "Gotta disagree. I've made several leather items and when moisture is applied to the leather to..."
- "We picked the fields based on what gets written about - the culture section is tech, sports, humor..."