The 14 year old kid in the picture on the right was named Aitzaz Hasan Bangash. His name is a difficult one to remember for westerners, but that is a pity, because he ended his life as a true hero.
Last Monday Aitzaz was lingering out of school with two friends in the small shiite town of Ibrahimzai, near the Pakistani capital Islamabad. Just before getting in they were approached by a 20-year-old who claimed he wanted to enrol to the school. The students realized that he was concealing a bomb and planned to blow up the school.
While Aitzaz's two friends ran away, he instead chased the terrorist, and as he caught him the bomb exploded, killing both. With his act Aitzaz saved the life of many of the 2000 students in the school.
The Lashkar-e-Jhangvi group, a sunni radical movement, later claimed responsibility for the attack.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- The Harmful Use Of Topical Steroids In India Is Out Of Control, Says Expert
- At The Edge Of Vision: Struggling To Make Sense Of Our Cluttered World
- "Oh not at all, thanks for asking. Ask away, if you have any other questions, delighted to help..."
- "thank u mr walker its nice to talk to someone with some knowledge hope I'm not getting on your..."
- "Yes it's amazing how bright it gets, especially Venus. It is about at its brightest around now..."
- "no ive got no binoculars wish I had now I was amazed wen I seen it this morning it was just so..."
- "Yes if you've been scared for some time, it has an effect on your body. You have to kind of reassure..."
- Study shows white matter damage caused by 'skunk-like' cannabis
- Cognitive behavior therapy can help overcome fear of the dentist
- Don't forget plankton in climate change models, says study
- Graphene microphone outperforms traditional nickel and offers ultrasonic reach
- New metric mapping top 10 European heat waves predicts strong increase in next 2 decades