The 14 year old kid in the picture on the right was named Aitzaz Hasan Bangash. His name is a difficult one to remember for westerners, but that is a pity, because he ended his life as a true hero.
Last Monday Aitzaz was lingering out of school with two friends in the small shiite town of Ibrahimzai, near the Pakistani capital Islamabad. Just before getting in they were approached by a 20-year-old who claimed he wanted to enrol to the school. The students realized that he was concealing a bomb and planned to blow up the school.
While Aitzaz's two friends ran away, he instead chased the terrorist, and as he caught him the bomb exploded, killing both. With his act Aitzaz saved the life of many of the 2000 students in the school.
The Lashkar-e-Jhangvi group, a sunni radical movement, later claimed responsibility for the attack.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- Another One Bites The Dust - WW Cross Section Gets Back Where It Belongs
- Why It Took Big Humans To Populate Europe
- Ontario Agriculture Minister Can't Even Pronounce Varroa Mites
- New Autism-causing Genetic Variant Identified
- Spring Flukes: New 3-Sigma Signals From LHCb And ATLAS
- "I agree that your phone won't crash the plane; and I agree that probably there never was any danger..."
- "You are comparing apples and oranges with your 14% and 4% figures. Rogers' number includes ADHD..."
- "Who are we kidding our education systems (worldwide) are designed for the average child? Yes there..."
- " Fermi's Paradox seems to be assuming advanced civilizations would be biologic lifeforms instead..."
- "Ginger ale may be as close to salty as I can go...."