This is my last post of my blog.
I have decided to totally quit my blogging activities after the last incident. My participation in the scientific collaborations CDF and CMS has always been a problem, since whenever I discussed a topic here even mildly related to their business there was the potential of receiving heat from those colleagues of mine who believe that the scientific integrity of the experiment can be harmed by a blog post, or who imagine that grant reviewers be influenced by what is written by a collaborator in a private blog.
If I look back at these six years of blogging, I can see that in the beginning life was much easier, but trouble arrived once two things happened: 1 - my blog became visible, i.e. popular, and journalists started to pick from it and call me for information; 2 - I started to write more about the physics results of the experiments. There has been a string of incidents in the past, which caused spokespersons to take action against me, colleagues to insult me publically and privately, and a series of other less than pleasant outcomes. But I tried to resist and dodge the bullets.
For a while it worked, although in the more recent past I was finding myself re-reading two or three times every post before publishing it, to check whether I was breaking the "blogging rules" of the CDF and CMS experiment in any way. I was applying a self-censoring policy. This by itself should have made me quit, but stronger events have taken the decision off my hands.
By the way, you should note that the blogging rules of CDF and CMS are the result of my activities ! (ok, this sounds a bit overstated, but it is actually a good representation of matters).
After the last incident, I am forced to leave the scene. I can unfortunately disclose no more detail on this - as I said, I am not a blogger any more. Sorry, Hank.
So with my last lines let me thank all of you who have followed this blog and contributed to its growth by visiting often and commenting in the thread. By now there are other good experimental physics blogs out there, so I do not think I will be missed after all.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- Naomi Oreskes And Denialism About The Scientific Consensus On GMOs And Nuclear Energy
- Drug Prevents Key Age-related Brain Change In Rats
- A New Alternative To Sodium: Fish Sauce
- A Conservative Argument For Genetic Modification Of Embryos
- Smoking Bans Reduce Risk Of Cardiovascular Disease In Non-Smokers
- "Liber (Dionysius in Greece) because he is one of the few major Roman gods that does not already..."
- "The URL of the full text article: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1750-3841.13171/fu..."
- "So there is no why like Bob Fletcher or as some people say you can already see it on Russian news..."
- "Hi Joe, yes the thing is - all that is fine, it's logical from your point of view. And whatever..."
- " Like I asked David Brin: Who are the ones who are actually insane? Certainly it is NOT the skeptics..."
- Florida Declares Zika Virus State of Emergency
- Indonesia’s Many Human Physical Deformities: A Closer Look
- Spinal ‘Column’: Love for Hunchback Dog, Breakthrough for 8-Yr-Old Girl
- BMI is Bologna
- Energy Drinks: The Dose Makes the Poison
- California’s Prop 65: Bad For Public Acceptance Of Science, About To Get Worse
- Agricultural policies in Africa could be harming the poorest
- Cambridge researcher develops smartphone app to map Swiss-German dialects
- Studies link healthy workforces to positive stock market performance
- Pioneering discovery leads to potential preventive treatment for sudden cardiac death
- Online shopping might not be as green as we thought