This is my last post of my blog.
I have decided to totally quit my blogging activities after the last incident. My participation in the scientific collaborations CDF and CMS has always been a problem, since whenever I discussed a topic here even mildly related to their business there was the potential of receiving heat from those colleagues of mine who believe that the scientific integrity of the experiment can be harmed by a blog post, or who imagine that grant reviewers be influenced by what is written by a collaborator in a private blog.
If I look back at these six years of blogging, I can see that in the beginning life was much easier, but trouble arrived once two things happened: 1 - my blog became visible, i.e. popular, and journalists started to pick from it and call me for information; 2 - I started to write more about the physics results of the experiments. There has been a string of incidents in the past, which caused spokespersons to take action against me, colleagues to insult me publically and privately, and a series of other less than pleasant outcomes. But I tried to resist and dodge the bullets.
For a while it worked, although in the more recent past I was finding myself re-reading two or three times every post before publishing it, to check whether I was breaking the "blogging rules" of the CDF and CMS experiment in any way. I was applying a self-censoring policy. This by itself should have made me quit, but stronger events have taken the decision off my hands.
By the way, you should note that the blogging rules of CDF and CMS are the result of my activities ! (ok, this sounds a bit overstated, but it is actually a good representation of matters).
After the last incident, I am forced to leave the scene. I can unfortunately disclose no more detail on this - as I said, I am not a blogger any more. Sorry, Hank.
So with my last lines let me thank all of you who have followed this blog and contributed to its growth by visiting often and commenting in the thread. By now there are other good experimental physics blogs out there, so I do not think I will be missed after all.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- 3X Saturated Fat In The Diet Doesn't Increase It In Blood
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Genetic Clues Of Severe Food Allergy
- Want A Man To Help? High Heels Work
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- Still No Contact with NASA's Sun-watching Probe
- Is Religion A Consolation Worth Having?
- "As an earlier cigarette smoker and now e-cig smoker, I can confirm they don't help you quit. As..."
- "Reality? What is reality if you use irrational arguments to justify man's cruelty toward..."
- "Always loved the Heels that showed of the instep (arches) ..."
- "By the way, I am a fan of your blog. It's one of the few places I can follow physics without getting..."
- "Hello Anon,you're entirely right, it's arbitrary and it does not provide protection against cases..."
- Gene in kidney may play role in high blood pressure
- Panel-based genetic diagnostic testing for inherited eye disease proves highly accurate
- Research finds tooth enamel fast-track in humans
- Good news for cocaine users: Caffeine counters cocaine's effects on women's estrus cycles
- Clipping proteins that package genes may limit abnormal cell growth in tumors