In my post about the new CDF signal of a mysterious new resonance decaying to jet pairs, there is an active comments thread. I posted there a graph crafted by Tommaso Tabarelli de Fatis, a CMS collaborator, who picked the CDF data and simulation and scaled the energy scale of the latter up by a few percent, showing that the agreement of simulation and data was better, and that the bump at 145 GeV could be explained away this way. Below you can see the result of scaling the jet energy scale up by 4% (the jet energy scale is bumped up by just scaling the dijet mass; this is in principle approximate, but it is a good one at that).
I mention this because Tommaso has now produced an animated GIF of the tweaking up of the MC/data Jet energy scale in the CDF analysis, showing how the residues of data minus simulation behave for JES shifts of 0% to 7%. To put this in perspective, you should know that in 2006 CDF published (actually a few physicists from CDF, a dozen of them to be exact, and among them yours truly) an analysis of their Jet energy scale, assessing at 3% the uncertainty on that quantity.
One should also remember that CDF can now verify the agreement of their jet energy scale with simulations to a much better precision than 3%, by fitting the W->jj decay signal in top pair decays when they fit the top quark mass. The current measurements have a precision of 1% on the jet energy scale, in fact. However, one should also consider that the background in the new CDF analysis may be due to gluon-originated jets, which might be subjected to a different jet energy scale with respect to quark-jets that originate in hadronic W boson decays measured in top mass measurements.
In any case, I suggest you to give a look at Tommaso's animated GIF.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Pseudoscience Creeping Into Your Conference? A Case In GMOs And Glyphosate
- Are Dark Matter Scientists About To Prove Its Existence?
- Henri Poincaré Predicted The Existence Of Gravitational Waves As Early As June 5, 1905
- Four Different Ways Couples Show They Care
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- 36 Million Americans Cook In The Nude
- RAND Survey Shows That Voters See Little Difference Between Candidates On Ideology
- "Thanks for your helpful remark. I would appreciate a specific answer to my question,relating to..."
- "It had no evidence, just a one-page paper claiming a mitochondrial hypothesis on aging and the..."
- "With your statistics background I would really be interested in hearing your opinion on something..."
- "Very sorry but 09/14/2015 9:50:45 UTC + 0.43 s there was ELF wave in Earth's ionosphere. These..."
- "Just for you entertainment here is one such publication you requested. http://principia-scientific..."
- Beard Microbiology: Grubby Hipsters May Be On To Something
- Water Tops the List of Health Concerns for Competitive Eaters
- Natural Flavors Are More Radioactive Than Artificial Ones.
- Bariatric Surgery Beneficial Even for Older People
- Opiates No Better at Easing Knee Osteoarthritis Pain
- BRCA Tests Increasing for Younger Breast Cancer Patients