Not yet official, but safe enough to be announced here: prof. Fernando Ferroni is the new INFN president. The charge will need to be confirmed by the Minister of Instruction and Research, Mariastella Gelmini (yes, the lady who said neutrinos travel in a 732 km long tunnel underground from CERN to Gran Sasso), but this is just a formal step.
Nando Ferroni is full professor at the University "La Sapienza" of Roma. He is an experimental particle physicist with a background in neutrino experiments (at CERN in the eighties) and collider physics (with the L3 experiment at LEP, and then with Babar at PEP2).
I had the pleasure to meet Ferroni in several instances in the past. Among other things, he was a member of the committee which sorted out 16 new researchers among 200 candidates in a INFN selection in Rome, back in 2005. I got the first place in the final list, so I might be biased in having a good opinion of him... But the many times I heard him argue about physics or funding matters I received the impression that, although invariably strongly opinionated, he is usually right. The fact that he adds a good dose of irony to everything he says is a plus to me: I never liked bureaucrats who take themselves and what they do so seriously that they are unable to use a bit of humor. On the negative side, he has a rather "professoral" attitude when he argues. But that is a good character trait to have for a president.
I believe he will be an excellent president of INFN, and I wish him good luck with the many difficult choices and decisions awaiting him. I hope he will keep the balance in particular concerning the SuperB machine...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- The Genetic History Of Ice Age Europe
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- New Interpretation Of The Rök Runestone Inscription Changes View Of Viking Age
- Race And Racism 101 Lecture 1 Intro & Terminology
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- Three Earth-sized Planets Found Orbiting A Tiny Nearby Star
- "Phew! Finally!! Trouble is, you have to have an IQ of well over 100 to understand it. PLUS, you..."
- "Top US scientist Hal Lewis resigned from his post at the University of California after admitting..."
- " Hilarious! ..."
- " Warning! Warning! Warning! elfish is a privileged troll living for an ivory tower! http://plato..."
- "This is a decent article and I think the journalist did a good job of avoiding the usual exaggerations..."
- One third of antibiotic prescriptions unnecessary
- UC San Diego bioengineers create first online search engine for functional genomics data
- UK Health Check has only modest impact on risk factors for cardiovascular disease
- Adult brain prunes branched connections of new neurons
- Five new breast cancer genes and range of mutations pave way for personalized treatment