Not yet official, but safe enough to be announced here: prof. Fernando Ferroni is the new INFN president. The charge will need to be confirmed by the Minister of Instruction and Research, Mariastella Gelmini (yes, the lady who said neutrinos travel in a 732 km long tunnel underground from CERN to Gran Sasso), but this is just a formal step.
Nando Ferroni is full professor at the University "La Sapienza" of Roma. He is an experimental particle physicist with a background in neutrino experiments (at CERN in the eighties) and collider physics (with the L3 experiment at LEP, and then with Babar at PEP2).
I had the pleasure to meet Ferroni in several instances in the past. Among other things, he was a member of the committee which sorted out 16 new researchers among 200 candidates in a INFN selection in Rome, back in 2005. I got the first place in the final list, so I might be biased in having a good opinion of him... But the many times I heard him argue about physics or funding matters I received the impression that, although invariably strongly opinionated, he is usually right. The fact that he adds a good dose of irony to everything he says is a plus to me: I never liked bureaucrats who take themselves and what they do so seriously that they are unable to use a bit of humor. On the negative side, he has a rather "professoral" attitude when he argues. But that is a good character trait to have for a president.
I believe he will be an excellent president of INFN, and I wish him good luck with the many difficult choices and decisions awaiting him. I hope he will keep the balance in particular concerning the SuperB machine...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Women,This Is Your Brain On Junk Food
- The Chicxulub Meteorite Killed The Dinosaurs But Made Forests Great
- Superfast Data Using Radio Waves Rather Than Optics
- Historical Global Carbon Cycle Needs A Rethink
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Reset To Pristine State
- Are E-Cigarettes Less Harmful? Yes And No
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- "The problem is that the drugs work. A friend of mine was a professional cyclist who once said to..."
- "Correction to my previous post. It should say The dose makes the poison. http://learn.caim.yale..."
- "I understand what you're saying. Here's where my thinking differs. I don't see a line between what..."
- "Our Nrf2 Activator has 8 patents and is proven to reduce human cellular oxidative stress (aging)..."
- "The kind that can be done via natural cross breeding methods now through natural life cycles and..."
- Sharks' skin has teeth in the fight against hospital superbugs
- Violent origins of disc galaxies probed by ALMA
- Global shift away from cars saves US$100 trillion, eliminates 1,700 MT of CO2 pollution
- 'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
- World Alzheimer Report 2014 reveals persuasive evidence for dementia risk reduction