Not yet official, but safe enough to be announced here: prof. Fernando Ferroni is the new INFN president. The charge will need to be confirmed by the Minister of Instruction and Research, Mariastella Gelmini (yes, the lady who said neutrinos travel in a 732 km long tunnel underground from CERN to Gran Sasso), but this is just a formal step.
Nando Ferroni is full professor at the University "La Sapienza" of Roma. He is an experimental particle physicist with a background in neutrino experiments (at CERN in the eighties) and collider physics (with the L3 experiment at LEP, and then with Babar at PEP2).
I had the pleasure to meet Ferroni in several instances in the past. Among other things, he was a member of the committee which sorted out 16 new researchers among 200 candidates in a INFN selection in Rome, back in 2005. I got the first place in the final list, so I might be biased in having a good opinion of him... But the many times I heard him argue about physics or funding matters I received the impression that, although invariably strongly opinionated, he is usually right. The fact that he adds a good dose of irony to everything he says is a plus to me: I never liked bureaucrats who take themselves and what they do so seriously that they are unable to use a bit of humor. On the negative side, he has a rather "professoral" attitude when he argues. But that is a good character trait to have for a president.
I believe he will be an excellent president of INFN, and I wish him good luck with the many difficult choices and decisions awaiting him. I hope he will keep the balance in particular concerning the SuperB machine...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Are Insects The Future Of Food?
- Neurons Rewrite Their DNA On The Go
- Screen For Celiac Disease In High-Rsk Groups Such As Diabetics, Anemics And Down's Syndrome
- Bumblebee Genomes Create A Buzz In The Pollination Field
- LAWS And The Autonomy Of Killer Robots
- Columbia's Lame Oz Defense
- The Evolutionary Psychology Reason Some People Will Be Anti-GMO
- "Joe- I would have a much easier time responding to you had you written in English, but I'll do..."
- "Interesting. If he were simply anti-GMO, he could plausibly be a doctor still. Medicine, as a profession..."
- "Ha! Quite nice. There is a lot of wisdom in Di Maggio's words. But I would bet a dime that the..."
- "As the legendary baseball player Joe DiMaggio aged and his athletic legacy was secure, people asked..."
- "Too bad, I will continue to use it.T...."
- Incomes are rising and more people will want air conditioning - we need viable green energy
- 7 percent: Landmark hydropower report from DOE
- Wear goggles: Children's eye injuries from airsoft guns up sharply
- Tidal tugs on Teflon faults drive slow-slipping earthquakes
- Low birth rate: Claims about the decline of the West are exaggerated