Yesterday I visited a high school in Treviso, a small centre in north-west Italy. The students of the last two years participate in a program called "masterclasses" which includes lessons on particle physics and astrophysics and a visit to the department of Physics in Padova, where they will be taught how to distinguish particle decays using real LHC data.
My lesson was a short story of particle physics, starting from Thomson and Rutherford and ending with the Higgs boson discovery and what may exist beyond. The about 100 students seemed to follow my lesson with interest, although it was quite tough for them, I am sure. In fact I did not spare them some gory details of how, e.g., the hypothesis of strangeness led to the quark model, or how electroweak unification comes about.
The slides of my lesson are available at this link (in Italian only -sorry) in powerpoint format.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Questions a Surface Pro 3 user has about Windows 10.
- Epigenetics Of Being Without Electricity For A Few Days
- Top Mass: CMS Again On Top!
- Multiple Sclerosis Patients Benefit From Exercise
- The Enemy Of Archaeology Is Not People, It's Salt
- Mutational Robustness: Why Duplicate Genes Remain In The Genome
- Why Japan’s Deadly Ontake Eruption Could Not Be Predicted
- "Lol, I don't have any problem with that...."
- "There is only one scientific understanding of the neuron-behavior linkage: Kandel et al spent 30..."
- "No wonder you have a problem comprehending climate change!..."
- "There are many truths of which the full meaning cannot be realized until personal experience has..."
- "Ha ha ha ROFL!..."
- The Lancet: New drug achieves significant additional cholesterol-lowering in people with inherited high cholesterol on statins
- Delayed introduction to gluten appears not to prevent celiac disease in at-risk infants
- Teen pregnancies, abortions plunge with free birth control
- B and T cell-targeting drug ameliorates chronic graft-versus-host disease in mice
- Clinical trial evaluates heterologous prime/boost regimens in preventative HIV vaccination