Yesterday I visited a high school in Treviso, a small centre in north-west Italy. The students of the last two years participate in a program called "masterclasses" which includes lessons on particle physics and astrophysics and a visit to the department of Physics in Padova, where they will be taught how to distinguish particle decays using real LHC data.
My lesson was a short story of particle physics, starting from Thomson and Rutherford and ending with the Higgs boson discovery and what may exist beyond. The about 100 students seemed to follow my lesson with interest, although it was quite tough for them, I am sure. In fact I did not spare them some gory details of how, e.g., the hypothesis of strangeness led to the quark model, or how electroweak unification comes about.
The slides of my lesson are available at this link (in Italian only -sorry) in powerpoint format.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Microwave Electron Guns: A Field-Emission Plug-And-Play Solution
- Ancient Buried Canyon In South Tibet Rules Out Tectonic Aneurysm
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- In A Snowstorm, Do You Want Salt Or Vegetable Juice On Your Road?
- Extraordinary Claims: Review My Paper For $10
- The BPA Paradox – Too Many Studies?
- "Way to miss the point of the article, genius. Let me guess, you call yourself a nice guy?..."
- "Seriously? You reveal the final scene of a movie and yet do not provide a spoiler alert in advance..."
- "Well, that is not a great example. If you prefer basketball, you don't watch the NBA at all. ..."
- "Men are better athletes than women. If someone had a choice between watching the NBA and the WNBA..."
- "Why did you find it interesting? It's a rather bland political statement by someone not even in..."
- Investigational drug reduces high potassium levels in chronic kidney disease patients
- Study: Doubling saturated fat in the diet does not increase saturated fat in blood
- Women with serious mental illness less likely to receive cancer screenings
- Only half of patients take their medications as prescribed
- Rare new species of plant: Stachys caroliniana