Yesterday I visited a high school in Treviso, a small centre in north-west Italy. The students of the last two years participate in a program called "masterclasses" which includes lessons on particle physics and astrophysics and a visit to the department of Physics in Padova, where they will be taught how to distinguish particle decays using real LHC data.
My lesson was a short story of particle physics, starting from Thomson and Rutherford and ending with the Higgs boson discovery and what may exist beyond. The about 100 students seemed to follow my lesson with interest, although it was quite tough for them, I am sure. In fact I did not spare them some gory details of how, e.g., the hypothesis of strangeness led to the quark model, or how electroweak unification comes about.
The slides of my lesson are available at this link (in Italian only -sorry) in powerpoint format.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- NO End Of World Today! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- In France, There Is STEM Bias Too - Against Men
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- "You forgot something there donaldtrump2, the most important US Constitutional right: buy more guns..."
- "Is 1950 DA bigger than chicxclub meteor sorry that I butchered the word ..."
- "I don't think iran wants nuclear weapons.and they are signatories of NPT.if they desire nuclear..."
- "hello mark! if you mean Ms. Wilhemina Pelegrina, I really like her name. very beautiful name. I..."
- "Not sure how we switched from discussing no-existent Golden Rice to inherently unsafe Nuclear Power..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes