Today I feel as American as I've ever felt.
I've lived there for a while, and of course as a foreigner I have many things I love and many I hate about this remarkable country. But today, Americans electing Obama as President for four more years send a message. They say that the attempts at creating a more just society, one where some basic rights of citizens are not ran over by the interests of big corporations, are valued by the American people just as some of us living in another continent do.
Of course anybody can disagree about the way Obama has led the country in the past four years, and anybody is entitled to their own opinion. However I think it is hardly arguable that the result of this election is a more united nation -if not in political views at least in intent-, one trying to fight inequalities rather than fostering them. So I am glad of this result, and anybody who deep inside is not driven by selfish feelings should also be.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Evidence Points To Widespread Loss Of Ocean Oxygen By 2030s
- Scientists Discover Oral Sex In Spiders
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- The Geology Of Wine
- How To Make Women's Tennis More Competitive
- "This is total nonsense. The climate models are highly accurate and getting more accurate every..."
- "So in short, all carbon based life forms are the enemy... The solution? Charging carbon credits..."
- "I remember when I was young network specials airing on the subject of climate change (often then..."
- "God punishes heathens in many ways. This is just one of them. Repent...."
- "Africa is doomed because of overpopulation. You have millions of people destroying the land and..."
- 3 Reasons Aerial Pesticides Are Not Causing Autism
- Most Stores Refuse E-Cigarette Sales to Minors
- Vitamin C Conundrum for the Organic Crowd
- Newsweek Journalist Loses His Mind, Time-Traveling Radioactivity And More Media Links
- This Single-Celled Organism Is Capable Of Learning
- Study Says Bilingual Kids’ Brains Are Smarter & Faster
- UC San Diego bioengineers create first online search engine for functional genomics data
- UK Health Check has only modest impact on risk factors for cardiovascular disease
- Adult brain prunes branched connections of new neurons
- Five new breast cancer genes and range of mutations pave way for personalized treatment
- Quantum sensors for high-precision magnetometry of superconductors