Today I feel as American as I've ever felt.
I've lived there for a while, and of course as a foreigner I have many things I love and many I hate about this remarkable country. But today, Americans electing Obama as President for four more years send a message. They say that the attempts at creating a more just society, one where some basic rights of citizens are not ran over by the interests of big corporations, are valued by the American people just as some of us living in another continent do.
Of course anybody can disagree about the way Obama has led the country in the past four years, and anybody is entitled to their own opinion. However I think it is hardly arguable that the result of this election is a more united nation -if not in political views at least in intent-, one trying to fight inequalities rather than fostering them. So I am glad of this result, and anybody who deep inside is not driven by selfish feelings should also be.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Artificial Intelligence: It's Time To Talk About What Emotions We Want AI To Have
- Highlights From ICNFP 2015
- Most Idiotic Rejection Of Course From Philosopher Of Science Not Grasping Relativity
- Lettuces Now, What Next - Could Astronauts Get All Their Oxygen And Food From Algae Or Plants?
- Supertranslations And Eternal Ghosts: Black Holes No Closer To Being Understood
- Innate GMO Potato Deregulated By USDA
- Brain Size Matters When It Comes To Remembering
- "Carney3 - when Columbus sailed to America - his boat was the results of several millennia of development..."
- "The ISS being used to do even more unnecessary human-factors research is a waste of time and money..."
- "I have a friend who has 2 Ph.D., one in nuclear physics and one in philosophy. His general observation..."
- "The top spin is indeed being measured, with results in agreement with standard model predictions..."
- "Without a magnetic field on Mars, it should be patently obvious that terraforming attempts would..."
- “Shock Therapy” – Not a Cuckoo’s Nest, a Valid Depression Rx
- Innate: Simplot genetically engineered potato gets USDA nod for deregulation
- Sorry, AIDS Deniers, It’s Only a Headline
- Mission Not Yet Accomplished on Vaccines
- Cigarettes, Now With An Organic Health Halo
- Bee Wary of Tales of the ‘Beepocalypse’
- Pollution and weather influence heart attack outcomes?
- Fish oil diet versus gut microbes
- Naps linked to reduced blood pressure and fewer medications
- Why girls are less interested in computer science: Classrooms are too 'geeky'
- Frogs make irrational choices - and what means for understanding animal mating