Today I feel as American as I've ever felt.
I've lived there for a while, and of course as a foreigner I have many things I love and many I hate about this remarkable country. But today, Americans electing Obama as President for four more years send a message. They say that the attempts at creating a more just society, one where some basic rights of citizens are not ran over by the interests of big corporations, are valued by the American people just as some of us living in another continent do.
Of course anybody can disagree about the way Obama has led the country in the past four years, and anybody is entitled to their own opinion. However I think it is hardly arguable that the result of this election is a more united nation -if not in political views at least in intent-, one trying to fight inequalities rather than fostering them. So I am glad of this result, and anybody who deep inside is not driven by selfish feelings should also be.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- How Wild Rabbits Genetically Became Tame Ones
- Coastal Regions Need To Worry About Non-Climate Change Sea Level Rise Now
- Junk Food Rats Ditch Balanced Diet To Eat Just Like Obese People
- Meet BPA-Free, The New BPA
- China's R&D Budget Surpasses The Entire EU - But Applied Research Has Plummeted
- Why I Believe We’ll Find Aliens - Seth Shostak
- "No Hank, You put words in my mouth. The environment of domestication that the rabbit was thrust..."
- "Saying that the ram cluster created domestic rabbits from tame ones is going to be a tough sell..."
- "If this is true, it would seem to be a fairly large upset in the traditional thinking of diabetes..."
- Medication shows mixed results in reducing complications from cardiac surgery
- Transvenous lead extraction clinically successful in 98 percent of cases
- First multidisciplinary recommendations on management of arrhythmias in ACS patients
- First expert consensus on ventricular arrhythmias published
- First comprehensive ESC Guidelines on aortic diseases published