Today I got access to a collection of very cool pictures of the CMS detector, one of the two experiments designed and built to study proton-proton collisions delivered by the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.
Many of those pictures, which were taken by Michael Hoch (CERN/CMS) in the last couple of years, have circulated in the web for a long time, and individual ones have been used in several places. However, they are very nice to browse one after the other. And I think they are even more interesting to watch if one has not had the privilege of visiting the giant detector in its underground cavern, during its assembly last year. So I take the liberty of showing them to you here, in case you missed them - or just like to refresh your memory on this technological marvel.
The original pictures are pretty large -over 10Mbytes each. Click on the pictures below to download the originals.
The picture above shows two of the muon "wheels" -five cylindrical elements which make up the outer structure of the central detector. They contain four layers of muon stations (the shiny silver boxes) layered between steel blocks.
This picture shows two wheels from a side. On the back you can see the multi-level platforms which allow access to CMS from a side: they give an idea of the size of this thing.
This picture shows the tracker, with the beam pipe inserted in it. The CMS tracker is made by about 200 square meters of silicon detectors: it is the largest such detector ever built, with the highest number of electronic channels ever put together in a single such device.
This shows the tracker inserved in the central detector from a side (actually from below).
And the last picture shows the detector fully assembled in its working position.
If you want to see more like these, please visit this site. Have fun!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Law has Failed, Not Forensic Science
- Women With Endometriosis Need More Support, Less Judgment
- Recent Results From Super-Kamiokande
- Olive Oil Destroys Cancer Cells
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- Francis Halzen On Cosmogenic Neutrinos
- Why Are Earth And The Moon So Different? It May Be The Iron Rain
- "John Collins comment about academia criticizing forensic science to get grant money is accurate..."
- "Hi, I suppose they will be soon available in the conference web site, at https://agenda.infn..."
- "with physics in spirituality, I mean anything that is in the physical plane :-) Finding a guru..."
- "I definitely feel more than physics, but then again reality is far BIGGER, more complex, and more..."
- "I hope you're right, and it does seem that religion is dying. One point of my article was to say..."
- Leukemia-associated mutations almost inevitable as we age
- Preventing the spread of cancer with copper molecules
- Mitochondrial 'shield' that helps cancer cells survive identified
- University 'ethics boards' as a way to evade scientific controversy
- Human Activity May Be Supporting Growth of Harmful Algae in Lakes