Today I got access to a collection of very cool pictures of the CMS detector, one of the two experiments designed and built to study proton-proton collisions delivered by the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.
Many of those pictures, which were taken by Michael Hoch (CERN/CMS) in the last couple of years, have circulated in the web for a long time, and individual ones have been used in several places. However, they are very nice to browse one after the other. And I think they are even more interesting to watch if one has not had the privilege of visiting the giant detector in its underground cavern, during its assembly last year. So I take the liberty of showing them to you here, in case you missed them - or just like to refresh your memory on this technological marvel.
The original pictures are pretty large -over 10Mbytes each. Click on the pictures below to download the originals.
The picture above shows two of the muon "wheels" -five cylindrical elements which make up the outer structure of the central detector. They contain four layers of muon stations (the shiny silver boxes) layered between steel blocks.
This picture shows two wheels from a side. On the back you can see the multi-level platforms which allow access to CMS from a side: they give an idea of the size of this thing.
This picture shows the tracker, with the beam pipe inserted in it. The CMS tracker is made by about 200 square meters of silicon detectors: it is the largest such detector ever built, with the highest number of electronic channels ever put together in a single such device.
This shows the tracker inserved in the central detector from a side (actually from below).
And the last picture shows the detector fully assembled in its working position.
If you want to see more like these, please visit this site. Have fun!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- Early Human Ancestor Did Not Have The Jaws Of A Nutcracker
- How Gut Inflammation Sparks Colon Cancer
- Increase In Volcanic Eruptions At The End Of The Ice Age Caused By Melting Ice Caps And Erosion
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- A Conservative Argument For Genetic Modification Of Embryos
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- "I must disagree with the physics of what this author has written. I may have some basis for..."
- "Those are the same arguments for progressives. Scientists are playing God and thwarting the will..."
- "Okay, this is easy to check, just go here: Current Impact Risks. Everything is shown..."
- "Jeez, don't you guys spell check or proofread your articles?..."
- "Faunus was the god of shepherds and planet nine is the shepherd of the trans-NeptunIan objects..."
- Surge in Hep B Cases Should Not Be A Surprise
- Pertussis Booster Protection Declines Rapidly Over 4 Years
- Unapproved Stem Cell Therapies – A Menace to Public Health
- Enjoying the Sun’s Vitamin D, While Blocking Skin Cancer
- Norovirus: From Satan’s Biohazard Lab To Your Duodenum
- Health Briefs: What You Missed Over the Weekend
- New research identifies drug target for dengue virus
- A long, hot view: Climate change likely to extend across next 10,000 years
- Carbon emissions affect thousands of years of climate change
- Secondary tropical forests absorb carbon at higher rate than old-growth forests
- Mayo researchers identify new Borrelia species that causes Lyme disease