Today I got access to a collection of very cool pictures of the CMS detector, one of the two experiments designed and built to study proton-proton collisions delivered by the Large Hadron Collider at CERN.
Many of those pictures, which were taken by Michael Hoch (CERN/CMS) in the last couple of years, have circulated in the web for a long time, and individual ones have been used in several places. However, they are very nice to browse one after the other. And I think they are even more interesting to watch if one has not had the privilege of visiting the giant detector in its underground cavern, during its assembly last year. So I take the liberty of showing them to you here, in case you missed them - or just like to refresh your memory on this technological marvel.
The original pictures are pretty large -over 10Mbytes each. Click on the pictures below to download the originals.
The picture above shows two of the muon "wheels" -five cylindrical elements which make up the outer structure of the central detector. They contain four layers of muon stations (the shiny silver boxes) layered between steel blocks.
This picture shows two wheels from a side. On the back you can see the multi-level platforms which allow access to CMS from a side: they give an idea of the size of this thing.
This picture shows the tracker, with the beam pipe inserted in it. The CMS tracker is made by about 200 square meters of silicon detectors: it is the largest such detector ever built, with the highest number of electronic channels ever put together in a single such device.
This shows the tracker inserved in the central detector from a side (actually from below).
And the last picture shows the detector fully assembled in its working position.
If you want to see more like these, please visit this site. Have fun!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Could You See Moon City Lights Or A Greenhouse From Earth? Just For Fun
- The Alleged Perversion of Geoff Marcy and Sexual Harassment.
- Mother Jones Hates Scientists - And Their Bias Shows
- The Plot Of The Week: Light New Bosons Below The J/Psi
- Hand And Arm Movement To Quadriplegic Patients Restored
- To Make EU Food Sector Renewable Energy Viable, Less Meat And More...Organic Veggies?
- 'Blind Analysis' Used In Physics Could Reduce Bias In Social And Life Sciences Papers
- "One of their media enablers - Lisa Graves, who runs the partisan organization behind SourceWatch..."
- "It’s interesting (and telling) that MJ is saying they “won” the case and that this is a case..."
- "Thanks! I've rewritten it to: The other bit of information we need is that with each increase..."
- "You don't know me, you don't know anything about me - but if you were not reflexively defending..."
- "Yes, it's a unfortunate place for that event. The problem is that the dimuon mass cannot be smaller..."
- ACSH Talks Science Outreach At The Western Plant Health Association Meeting
- OxyContin-for-Kids Debate, Now National, Intensifies
- Golden Rice Moves Closer to Reality in Asia
- C. Diff. Can Be Controlled, With Relative Ease
- FDA-Approved Test for Meningitis is a Home Run
- Trends In Smoking – Chinese Men In Peril, American Women Get Better Cessation
- Public agencies less likely than private firms to comply with environmental regulations
- Spring to come 3 weeks earlier to the United States
- What does it take to escape the water? Plankton have clues
- Poor children will be hit hardest by government welfare cuts, warn experts
- Fast track referral for suspected cancer is saving lives