Rolf is drawing the conclusions. He just asked the audience:
"I think we have it. Do you agree ?" And a roar of consensus fills the auditorium.
The slide says "The observation of a new particle consistent with a Higgs boson".
It is a historic milestone, but only the beginning.
A standing ovation follows. Then a connection with Melbourne, with the other auditorium applauding. Now questions in the CERN site ensuing.
Theorists take the stage, Higgs saying it is an extraordinary achievement for the lab, and that he is glad that it happened in his lifetime.
A very moving finale !
What happens next ? Well, there was a media storm of course. As for me, I had to work all day to a couple of pieces for an Italian newspaper. I will try to translate them tomorrow...
Another thing to look forward to: the paying of bets ! I won three bets, one (for $750) with Jacques Distler, one (for $250) with Gordon Watts, and one, or actually two, for $100+$100=$200 with Tony Smith. I will be inviting the betters here to discuss their ideas in the occasion of the paying out of the bets.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- When Does Quantum Mechanics Become Classical Physics?
- Updating Fermi's Paradox – The Super Fermi Paradox
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- Dark Matter - Now With More Darkness
- Spring Flukes: New 3-Sigma Signals From LHCb And ATLAS
- Orthorexia Nervosa: The Righteous Health Food Obsession
- "This got me reading the Wikipedia article on Neuropeptide Y.Implicated in so many processes, one..."
- "Still visible! Nice!Cheers,T...."
- "Size is not the criterion for quantum coherence. Some quantum effects, notably superfluidity and..."
- "It's a science-fiction trope that we must be outmatched but we might be first and 4 billion years..."
- "I'm still not completely there, but over the course of time I have started to engage the idea that..."
- Honey bees use different sets of genes, different mechanisms to fight infections
- Genetic mutation may explain why flu can kill
- Why popular antacids may increase chance of bone fractures
- Antibiotic use in livestock expected to increase - what about effectiveness?
- This is your brain in the supermarket