Rolf is drawing the conclusions. He just asked the audience:
"I think we have it. Do you agree ?" And a roar of consensus fills the auditorium.
The slide says "The observation of a new particle consistent with a Higgs boson".
It is a historic milestone, but only the beginning.
A standing ovation follows. Then a connection with Melbourne, with the other auditorium applauding. Now questions in the CERN site ensuing.
Theorists take the stage, Higgs saying it is an extraordinary achievement for the lab, and that he is glad that it happened in his lifetime.
A very moving finale !
What happens next ? Well, there was a media storm of course. As for me, I had to work all day to a couple of pieces for an Italian newspaper. I will try to translate them tomorrow...
Another thing to look forward to: the paying of bets ! I won three bets, one (for $750) with Jacques Distler, one (for $250) with Gordon Watts, and one, or actually two, for $100+$100=$200 with Tony Smith. I will be inviting the betters here to discuss their ideas in the occasion of the paying out of the bets.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Stop Using BMI To Determine Health
- Why Diamonds Are More Of A Scientific Miracle Than You Think
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- Why Rest Is Critical After A Concussion
- First-semester GPA A Better Predictor Of College Success Than ACT Score
- Wiki Woes: Websites For Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Are Inaccurate And Outdated
- Glyphosate Now Most Popular Weed Killer In History, Laments Economist Chuck Benbrook
- "Hi Tommaso, Recently I became aware of he Dirac-Milne cosmological model that postulates that matter..."
- "I find it hard to understand how someone with a PhD who no doubt trusts the toxicology literature..."
- "Very interesting discussion! That we are seeing these issues exposed in astronomy so prominently..."
- "I just wrote: Either way will produce enough food to feed people. It is all in the details of HOW..."
- "for the first time in world history, poor people can afford to be fat. That is not farming gone..."
- BMI is Bologna
- Energy Drinks: The Dose Makes the Poison
- California’s Prop 65: Bad For Public Acceptance Of Science, About To Get Worse
- Wear Red Today! It’s Women’s Heart Health Awareness Day
- Can Marijuana Ease NFL Players’ Pain? Claims Are All Over The Field
- Mid-Life Crisis Clusters Found In 4 US Cities
- Studies link healthy workforces to positive stock market performance
- Pioneering discovery leads to potential preventive treatment for sudden cardiac death
- Online shopping might not be as green as we thought
- Gene family turns cancer cells into aggressive stem cells that keep growing
- NASA's GPM satellite examines violent thunderstorms