Rolf is drawing the conclusions. He just asked the audience:
"I think we have it. Do you agree ?" And a roar of consensus fills the auditorium.
The slide says "The observation of a new particle consistent with a Higgs boson".
It is a historic milestone, but only the beginning.
A standing ovation follows. Then a connection with Melbourne, with the other auditorium applauding. Now questions in the CERN site ensuing.
Theorists take the stage, Higgs saying it is an extraordinary achievement for the lab, and that he is glad that it happened in his lifetime.
A very moving finale !
What happens next ? Well, there was a media storm of course. As for me, I had to work all day to a couple of pieces for an Italian newspaper. I will try to translate them tomorrow...
Another thing to look forward to: the paying of bets ! I won three bets, one (for $750) with Jacques Distler, one (for $250) with Gordon Watts, and one, or actually two, for $100+$100=$200 with Tony Smith. I will be inviting the betters here to discuss their ideas in the occasion of the paying out of the bets.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Will Female Viagra Be An FDA Boner?
- Grading The President's Strategy To Promote Bee Health
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Catechins In Green Tea Reduce Prostate Cancer In Men At High Risk
- Numenta And IBM To Build Biologically Inspired Intelligent Machines.
- How Public Relations Turned Dunkirk From Catastrophe Into Cultural Icon
- Machine Learning And Big Data Is Changing Sports
- "I can tell you that it is no easy task to get the drug into solution. Matthew- Having struggled..."
- "Just a heads up to this, anyone got any more thoughts?..."
- "Josh,Okay, I found it. Yeah, so SSRIs work for depression right? So drug companies wanted to try..."
- "Holistic medicine is surely mainstream, is it not? That's in some ways the main message we get..."
- "Matthew.Thanks. You must have missed it:Flibanserin was also discovered by accident after it failed..."