Rolf is drawing the conclusions. He just asked the audience:
"I think we have it. Do you agree ?" And a roar of consensus fills the auditorium.
The slide says "The observation of a new particle consistent with a Higgs boson".
It is a historic milestone, but only the beginning.
A standing ovation follows. Then a connection with Melbourne, with the other auditorium applauding. Now questions in the CERN site ensuing.
Theorists take the stage, Higgs saying it is an extraordinary achievement for the lab, and that he is glad that it happened in his lifetime.
A very moving finale !
What happens next ? Well, there was a media storm of course. As for me, I had to work all day to a couple of pieces for an Italian newspaper. I will try to translate them tomorrow...
Another thing to look forward to: the paying of bets ! I won three bets, one (for $750) with Jacques Distler, one (for $250) with Gordon Watts, and one, or actually two, for $100+$100=$200 with Tony Smith. I will be inviting the betters here to discuss their ideas in the occasion of the paying out of the bets.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Fewer Wild Fish Needed: Genetically Modified Plants Produce Omega-3 Fish Oil
- Protein Kinase C Enzymes Believed To Promote Cancer Actually Suppress It
- The Female Enigmas Of 1940s Bletchley Park Inspire Those Of Today
- Spinal Stenosis: After 8 Years, Surgical And Non-surgical Treatment Results Similar
- Prevent Alzheimer's Disease By Drinking Beer?
- Use Of Video Games Correlated To Consumption Of Toxic Substances
- Infants Create New Knowledge While Sleeping
- "This is such an important article. Thank you! After reading the book, Teaming with Microbes: A..."
- "Why? Isn't it like saying 'I won't eat anything but wild strawberries'? If everyone adopted that..."
- "The problem is that women are more likely to compromise when they shouldn't. This may be because..."
- "The best state is Mississippi, which is poor, uneducated, religious and Republican, all things..."
- "Good news, if it can be made economically viable. For now, though, I still won't touch farmed fish...."