Rolf is drawing the conclusions. He just asked the audience:
"I think we have it. Do you agree ?" And a roar of consensus fills the auditorium.
The slide says "The observation of a new particle consistent with a Higgs boson".
It is a historic milestone, but only the beginning.
A standing ovation follows. Then a connection with Melbourne, with the other auditorium applauding. Now questions in the CERN site ensuing.
Theorists take the stage, Higgs saying it is an extraordinary achievement for the lab, and that he is glad that it happened in his lifetime.
A very moving finale !
What happens next ? Well, there was a media storm of course. As for me, I had to work all day to a couple of pieces for an Italian newspaper. I will try to translate them tomorrow...
Another thing to look forward to: the paying of bets ! I won three bets, one (for $750) with Jacques Distler, one (for $250) with Gordon Watts, and one, or actually two, for $100+$100=$200 with Tony Smith. I will be inviting the betters here to discuss their ideas in the occasion of the paying out of the bets.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lichen: Apparently Happy Couple Really A Threesome
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- Curcumin And Silymarin Plant Compounds Give '1-2' Punch To Colon Cancer
- Are Think Tanks More Credible To Government Employees? Not Really
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- "Here are a fewPlanet Nibiru is not real. by Earth and Sky chief editor Bruce McClure ..."
- "Okay, just to pick up on one thing. First, the NASA rover are tested in various deserts, and so..."
- "The moon landings was fake actually all the Apollo missions were fear of the cold war and countries..."
- "Its fairly hard to belive one person who says its not real to the thousands of people who say it..."
- "Small correction: her diagnosis of Lyme disease is also highly dubious. There is a growing cult..."
- Parasite proteins prompt immune system to fight off ovarian tumors in mice
- Behavioral activation as effective as CBT for depression, at lower cost
- The Lancet: Simpler, cheaper psychological treatment as effective as cognitive behavioural therapy for treating depression
- Ultrasensitive sensor using N-doped graphene
- Brain activity and response to food cues differ in severely obese women, UTSW study shows