Rolf is drawing the conclusions. He just asked the audience:
"I think we have it. Do you agree ?" And a roar of consensus fills the auditorium.
The slide says "The observation of a new particle consistent with a Higgs boson".
It is a historic milestone, but only the beginning.
A standing ovation follows. Then a connection with Melbourne, with the other auditorium applauding. Now questions in the CERN site ensuing.
Theorists take the stage, Higgs saying it is an extraordinary achievement for the lab, and that he is glad that it happened in his lifetime.
A very moving finale !
What happens next ? Well, there was a media storm of course. As for me, I had to work all day to a couple of pieces for an Italian newspaper. I will try to translate them tomorrow...
Another thing to look forward to: the paying of bets ! I won three bets, one (for $750) with Jacques Distler, one (for $250) with Gordon Watts, and one, or actually two, for $100+$100=$200 with Tony Smith. I will be inviting the betters here to discuss their ideas in the occasion of the paying out of the bets.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- James Hansen: To Mitigate Climate Change, Nuclear Energy Should Be Included
- Standards needed for post-conviction review of scientific evidence
- We've Forgotten The Trial Of Socrates: Excellence And Winning Aren’t The Same Thing
- The Era Of The Atom
- Cardiovascular Risk Factors And Alzheimer's Disease Genetic Overlap
- Patrick Matthew, The Overlooked Third Man Of Natural Selection
- Anti-Vaccine Beliefs Raced Around The World While Science Was Putting On Its Shoes
- "It should tell you all you need to know about vaccine safety when those who manufacture vaccines..."
- "I used to think the same. Internal Combustion Engines are part of a group known as Heat Engines..."
- "The linear range of an alpha particle is very small in materials, typically measured in microns..."
- "Right good point :). I wonder if Pluto will have irregular moons also :).Here is a plot of the..."
- "BTW several of the other KBOs have moons Indeed, counting Pluto, then amongst the 8 largest, five..."