Rolf is drawing the conclusions. He just asked the audience:
"I think we have it. Do you agree ?" And a roar of consensus fills the auditorium.
The slide says "The observation of a new particle consistent with a Higgs boson".
It is a historic milestone, but only the beginning.
A standing ovation follows. Then a connection with Melbourne, with the other auditorium applauding. Now questions in the CERN site ensuing.
Theorists take the stage, Higgs saying it is an extraordinary achievement for the lab, and that he is glad that it happened in his lifetime.
A very moving finale !
What happens next ? Well, there was a media storm of course. As for me, I had to work all day to a couple of pieces for an Italian newspaper. I will try to translate them tomorrow...
Another thing to look forward to: the paying of bets ! I won three bets, one (for $750) with Jacques Distler, one (for $250) with Gordon Watts, and one, or actually two, for $100+$100=$200 with Tony Smith. I will be inviting the betters here to discuss their ideas in the occasion of the paying out of the bets.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Bitcoin And Anonymity: User's Identity Can Be Revealed Much Easier Than Thought
- Not Neonics: Parasites Are Bad For Honey Bees
- Violence, Sex And Taboo: The Original Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales Back In Print
- Volunteer-Based Peer Review: A Success
- Diversity Fatigue: Why Businesses Struggle To Close The Gender Gap
- "Artificial gravity by radial acceleration doesn't need any testing. Every child has tested hurling..."
- "The control hives didn't have nicotine. I wonder if bees in North Carolina have higher susceptibility..."
- "This makes sense before the advent of 'total war' in the 20th century. It was certainly true once..."
- "Oh okay, hard to say, I can see the issue. But - I think just too soon to tell. We haven't tried..."
- "French and American studies indicate that traces of neonicotinoids make bees more susceptible to..."
- More public health interventions required to tackle grim reaper of 'lifestyle' diseases
- Saving ovaries does not help prevent prolapse for women after menopause
- Minimally invasive disc surgery is a pain in the neck
- Brain researchers pinpoint gateway to human memory
- The influence of the Isthmus of Panama in the evolution of freshwater shrimps in America