While we chug away on our Tubesat-style picosatellite, in the 10x10x10cm range, two independent efforts are working on even smaller satellites, and I thought they were worth a nod.
An aerospace engineering team at Cornell has an ongoing and already funded kickstarter for the Kicksat, which is a cube filled with 300 or more even smaller Sputnik-type "I only beep" ultra-mini satellites. Each person who contributed gets to name their little piece. It's a very cool engineering project that's been going on for 3 years, and looks really, really solid. Better yet, it's met its funding goals, so it's got great prospects. Go visit and see if you want to participate!
And, a person named Jaanus hunted up the writeup and spec for PCBSats, a super-tiny satellite 1/4th the size of a Cubesat, consisting of, basically, one circuit board + 2 solar cells + tape.
Jaanus's blog is worth reading for open space hardware fans in general, as his goal is to help find then share build/make techniques from other small satellite makers.
Until next week,
Building the Project Calliope home satellite to convert the ionosphere to music
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Traditional Medicine: Thunder God Vine As Potential Obesity Treatment
- Could Better Psychology Tests Have Predicted The Germanwings Suicide Crash?
- Numenta And IBM To Build Biologically Inspired Intelligent Machines.
- Australopithecus Deyiremeda: New Human Ancestor In Ethiopia
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- "Boys With Toys" - Was It Sexist?
- Antidepressants More Effective Than Assumed
- "Wouldnt that be nice. My guess is the same reason medical science is doing so little to nothing..."
- "Robert, I'd love to hear your comments as to Plum Island and the idea of it being related to Lyme..."
- "Excellent article! For not having Morgellon's or personally knowing someone that does you sure..."
- " Here's what everyone needs to know about nuclear energy, in a nutshell ---> (1) Nuclear energy..."
- "Oh, that is what you meant, ;-)Sadly, it is hype. The paper is still very far from a mapping between..."
Books By Writers Here