While we chug away on our Tubesat-style picosatellite, in the 10x10x10cm range, two independent efforts are working on even smaller satellites, and I thought they were worth a nod.
An aerospace engineering team at Cornell has an ongoing and already funded kickstarter for the Kicksat, which is a cube filled with 300 or more even smaller Sputnik-type "I only beep" ultra-mini satellites. Each person who contributed gets to name their little piece. It's a very cool engineering project that's been going on for 3 years, and looks really, really solid. Better yet, it's met its funding goals, so it's got great prospects. Go visit and see if you want to participate!
And, a person named Jaanus hunted up the writeup and spec for PCBSats, a super-tiny satellite 1/4th the size of a Cubesat, consisting of, basically, one circuit board + 2 solar cells + tape.
Jaanus's blog is worth reading for open space hardware fans in general, as his goal is to help find then share build/make techniques from other small satellite makers.
Until next week,
Building the Project Calliope home satellite to convert the ionosphere to music
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Strange Organic Molecules In Titan's Atmosphere
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- Will Holding Thermal Printer Paper Really Send Your BPA Levels Soaring?
- The Quote Of The Week - Shocked And Disappointed
- As The Weather Changes, So Do Beliefs About Climate Change
- Moderate Pot Use By Adolescents Doesn't Hurt IQ
- Great Earthquakes Doubled In The Most Recent 10 Year Period - What That Means
- "Regardless of the merits of the research, just because it's published in PLoS ONE doesn't mean..."
- "Hi Nury, good to see you back here again after so many months away from this monster Science20..."
- "The OSX versions are all free, the all in one IOS version is not free. The developer (which I am..."
- "Anonymous, when you disagree, be civil and cite the specific sentence or quote that you disagree..."
- "I wonder how this one was genetically modified?(cartoon by Norman Thelwell) ..."
- Coffee grounds turned biofuel can heat your home
- Bill and Melinda Gates on GMOs: ‘Poor farmers should not be denied choice of life-saving tools’
- Why do foodies love organics? Because they taste like McDonald’s!
- GMO milk? An enviros dream innovation that most enviros oppose
- National Wildlife Refuge System bans on GMOs and neonics lack transparency, scientific rationale
- Want better sperm? Eat more pesticides
- New policymaking tool for shift to renewable energy
- Teens whose parents exert more psychological control have trouble with closeness, independence
- Two days later: Adolescents' conflicts with family spill over to school, vice versa
- Children in high-quality early childhood education are buffered from changes in family income
- 'Breath test' shows promise for diagnosing fungal pneumonia