While we chug away on our Tubesat-style picosatellite, in the 10x10x10cm range, two independent efforts are working on even smaller satellites, and I thought they were worth a nod.
An aerospace engineering team at Cornell has an ongoing and already funded kickstarter for the Kicksat, which is a cube filled with 300 or more even smaller Sputnik-type "I only beep" ultra-mini satellites. Each person who contributed gets to name their little piece. It's a very cool engineering project that's been going on for 3 years, and looks really, really solid. Better yet, it's met its funding goals, so it's got great prospects. Go visit and see if you want to participate!
And, a person named Jaanus hunted up the writeup and spec for PCBSats, a super-tiny satellite 1/4th the size of a Cubesat, consisting of, basically, one circuit board + 2 solar cells + tape.
Jaanus's blog is worth reading for open space hardware fans in general, as his goal is to help find then share build/make techniques from other small satellite makers.
Until next week,
Building the Project Calliope home satellite to convert the ionosphere to music
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Poisons Chemists Hate, But You Just Ate
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- IQ: Why 1904 Testing Shouldn't Be Used Today
- "Not heard that one! No chance of that, New Horizons has just flown past Pluto and didn't find any..."
- "Oh, I thought I'd answered, maybe it was someone else? When you point the camera towards a bright..."
- "hi mr walker when u have answered the question above could u answer mine then I was wondering in..."
- "wats this other theory then that nibiru has been hiding behind pluto wats that one about I just..."
- "Well Jupiter is real. If Nibiru is just another name for Jupiter then it is real. Apparently in..."
- Type-2 Diabetes Drug Ineffective for Obese, Type-1 Teens
- Insulin Pill Could Revolutionize Diabetes Treatment
- For Hypertension Patients, Nearly Half Lack Proper Care
- Antibiotic Resistance: Beginning of the End?
- Give to ACSH on Giving Tuesday!
- Global Energy Balance Network and Coke: What Emails Reveal
- Type 2 diabetes reversed by losing fat from pancreas
- Eat a Paleo peach: First fossil peaches discovered in southwest China
- System boosts resolution of commercial depth sensors 1,000-fold
- A change of stomach: The feasibility of healthy eating campaigns in rural areas
- Combination therapy successfully treats hep C in patients with advanced liver disease