While we chug away on our Tubesat-style picosatellite, in the 10x10x10cm range, two independent efforts are working on even smaller satellites, and I thought they were worth a nod.
An aerospace engineering team at Cornell has an ongoing and already funded kickstarter for the Kicksat, which is a cube filled with 300 or more even smaller Sputnik-type "I only beep" ultra-mini satellites. Each person who contributed gets to name their little piece. It's a very cool engineering project that's been going on for 3 years, and looks really, really solid. Better yet, it's met its funding goals, so it's got great prospects. Go visit and see if you want to participate!
And, a person named Jaanus hunted up the writeup and spec for PCBSats, a super-tiny satellite 1/4th the size of a Cubesat, consisting of, basically, one circuit board + 2 solar cells + tape.
Jaanus's blog is worth reading for open space hardware fans in general, as his goal is to help find then share build/make techniques from other small satellite makers.
Until next week,
Building the Project Calliope home satellite to convert the ionosphere to music
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Almost One In Three US Adults Owns A Gun But Murder Rates Have Plummeted
- What May Be Missing From Quantum Computing - A Quantum Middle Man
- EWG's Little Site Of Horrors
- Why Horror Games Give Us The Fright We're Looking For
- The Missing Memristor Has NOT Been Found Published By Nature Group
- Predictive Coding Theory: How Our Brains Recognize Faces From Minimal Information
- New Mars Colony Mission Crowdfunds its Way to the Red Planet
- "So from 20 times the gun linked murder rate of all other OECD countries down to 19.5 times? Still..."
- "Vegan parents investigated for neglect after baby son found severely malnourished - said they..."
- "Good news on two fronts.Although I get a kick out of insulting people now and then (OK, maybe a..."
- "Ugh, there are three paths I wish I could take this conversation now. History has taught me that..."
- "Ah I figured it out, they dropped the e in the title. Man that was really bothering me trying to..."
- Environmental attorneys and an oceanographer want EPA to declare CO2 a "toxic substance" like asbestos
- So you think you're a foodie
- Nobel Laureates dive into climate politics
- $4,200 and up: Millions of children's lives saved through government programs
- First trial of gene therapy for cystic fibrosis shows beneficial effect on lung function