While we chug away on our Tubesat-style picosatellite, in the 10x10x10cm range, two independent efforts are working on even smaller satellites, and I thought they were worth a nod.
An aerospace engineering team at Cornell has an ongoing and already funded kickstarter for the Kicksat, which is a cube filled with 300 or more even smaller Sputnik-type "I only beep" ultra-mini satellites. Each person who contributed gets to name their little piece. It's a very cool engineering project that's been going on for 3 years, and looks really, really solid. Better yet, it's met its funding goals, so it's got great prospects. Go visit and see if you want to participate!
And, a person named Jaanus hunted up the writeup and spec for PCBSats, a super-tiny satellite 1/4th the size of a Cubesat, consisting of, basically, one circuit board + 2 solar cells + tape.
Jaanus's blog is worth reading for open space hardware fans in general, as his goal is to help find then share build/make techniques from other small satellite makers.
Until next week,
Building the Project Calliope home satellite to convert the ionosphere to music
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Random Thoughts Of A Physicist In Honeymoon
- How Viruses Leave Messages For Descendants On How To 'Infect'
- Scientists For Trump In Spite Of Vaccine Autism And Climate Comments
- Getting Married
- Biomarkers Predict How Well People Age
- Anomaly! At 35% Discount For Ten More Days
- Lisa Long Leg: Vongehr’s Rational Free Speech Trump Cross For The Alt Right Revolution Of Love
- "I don't know why my comment's formatting was lost in the transmission, so that it is now one big..."
- "“If you don't use probabilities then how else do you do it? At any rate that's not a criticism..."
- "Tomasso, Congratulations, may you enjoy a long and happy life together with Kalliopi! Best regards..."
- "Found another one : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/545975/end-of-the-world-Gods-vengeance..."
- "Thanks :). Actually there are so many fake doomsday red top tabloid stories that I tend to wait..."
- Nexium: The Dark Side Of Pharma
- MRI May Help 27% Of Suspected Prostate Cancer Patients Avoid Biopsies
- McKesson Fined $150 Million as they contribute to opioid crisis - Too Big to Punish
- Are Science Journals Politically Biased? Editor-in-Chief of ACS Journal Refuses to Discuss Editorial Policy
- 7 Marathons in 7 Days on 7 Continents (Healthy?)
- Healthier Eating at Sporting Events, When Menu Has Better Choices