Are blogs valuable? They must be to science readers. A Pew Research Center study shows that Old Media doesn't cover science very well, leaving a gap to be filled by bloggers, with 10X the science content. And leadership.
They cite the "ClimateGate" East Anglia coverage, which was basically ignored by cheerleaders in science journalism until it took off in the blogosphere. A week later, it gained traction in traditional media.
In opposition to non evidence-based claims of Science's crazy old uncle, Donald Kennedy, who clearly misses the glory days of 1980s journalism when it meant progressive good works and claims blogging is just 'journals of announcement', blogs and journalism shared the same lead story with traditional media in just 13 of the 49 weeks studied.
10X the science content and original stuff that journalism doesn't cover until a week later. I'd say blogging is here to stay.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Prevent Alzheimer's Disease By Drinking Beer?
- Cometary Globule CG4 - From God's Hand To The Mouth Of The Beast
- Exposure To BPA – It’s Not What Some People Think
- Religious People View Science Favorably But Reject Some Theories - Just Like Everyone Else
- Outsourcing: 3 Ways To Stop Medical Research Brain Drain
- Spider-Man Webbing: How Many Calories Does It Take To Produce All That Silk?
- Battery Leasing And Better Charging Will Make Electric Cars Popular
- "Yes agree. If you hang around this site for any time you will find it easy to spot...."
- "Aha. Bad journalistic practice, IMNSHO. ..."
- "That's like psychohistory in Azimov's Foundation series... ..."
- "a politician by any other name is still a politician., it doesn't matter what the topic they have..."
- "Agreed. I believe Heinlein clearly identified those two groups as those who want people to be controlled..."
- Adropin: 'Feeding and fasting' hormone can improve insulin action
- Infants create new knowledge while sleeping
- Study: Blame men for political gridlock in Congress
- Ancient skull proves modern humans colonized Eurasia 60-70,000 years ago
- Old people: the demographic it's still okay to negatively stereotype