Are blogs valuable? They must be to science readers. A Pew Research Center study shows that Old Media doesn't cover science very well, leaving a gap to be filled by bloggers, with 10X the science content. And leadership.
They cite the "ClimateGate" East Anglia coverage, which was basically ignored by cheerleaders in science journalism until it took off in the blogosphere. A week later, it gained traction in traditional media.
In opposition to non evidence-based claims of Science's crazy old uncle, Donald Kennedy, who clearly misses the glory days of 1980s journalism when it meant progressive good works and claims blogging is just 'journals of announcement', blogs and journalism shared the same lead story with traditional media in just 13 of the 49 weeks studied.
10X the science content and original stuff that journalism doesn't cover until a week later. I'd say blogging is here to stay.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Amenhotep III: Ancient Egyptian Mummies Didn't Have Spinal Arthritis
- Antibiotics Of The Future
- The Resource Curse: Science Cities Suffer
- From Mindless Physics To Physics Of Mind
- #GAMERGATE Style Harassment Does Not Happen in the Male Dominated Sciences
- No Light Dark Matter In ATLAS Search
- Climate Change: It’s Only Human To Exaggerate, But Science Itself Does Not
- "But it never stands still, how is that boring. To stagnate within a belief like religion that does..."
- "I was hard wired as in raised JW. We switched at the death of 2 of my sisters, when flowers were..."
- "“All I've ever done is defend a fellow scientist who wrote a book and was harassed for it, which..."
- "That's very interesting indeed I'd like to read it, where might I find the learned reference stating..."
- "This kind of nonsense is what I am not a fan of - unfortunately, because hypnosis works so infrequently..."
- Natural Resources Defense Council sues EPA to block rollout of Dow Enlist Duo GMO system
- Enviros file suit to block new Dow AgroSciences GMO herbicide and seeds
- Couples can protect children from devastating mutations with new IVF methods
- Food 2.0: Will farmers be able to meet the ecological challenges ahead?
- General Mills’ Cascadian Farm launches ‘bee-friendly’ campaign, GMO critics unimpressed
- Can genes pass from genetically modified food into our blood, posing dangers?
- Study shows medication is frequently, unintentionally given incorrectly to young children
- Mummy remains refute antiquity of ankylosing spondylitis
- Scientists say national Alzheimer's plan milestones must be strengthened to meet goal by 2025
- Head injury causes the immune system to attack the brain
- Viagra protects the heart beyond the bedroom