Are blogs valuable? They must be to science readers. A Pew Research Center study shows that Old Media doesn't cover science very well, leaving a gap to be filled by bloggers, with 10X the science content. And leadership.
They cite the "ClimateGate" East Anglia coverage, which was basically ignored by cheerleaders in science journalism until it took off in the blogosphere. A week later, it gained traction in traditional media.
In opposition to non evidence-based claims of Science's crazy old uncle, Donald Kennedy, who clearly misses the glory days of 1980s journalism when it meant progressive good works and claims blogging is just 'journals of announcement', blogs and journalism shared the same lead story with traditional media in just 13 of the 49 weeks studied.
10X the science content and original stuff that journalism doesn't cover until a week later. I'd say blogging is here to stay.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Future Transatlantic Flight Delays Blamed On Global Warming
- Quantum mechanics in 1834?
- Using DNA To Fight Fabric Fraud
- Why This New "Planet X" Is No Threat To Earth :).
- China Is Going To Grow, And A Small Cap And Trade Market Won't Stop That
- Horses Can Read Human Emotions
- Crystal 'Sunstones' - How The Vikings Discovered America?
- "Does the emitted photon from carbon dioxide have EXACTLY the same wavelength as the absorbed photon..."
- " from: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/12/02/history-falsifies-climate-alarmist-sea-level-claims/..."
- "Thanks, didn't know about those. But it could also be a shower of hail stones, using the wikipedia..."
- "Are you saying that the sea level data are wrong? I'm just quoting it. If so, please note your data...."
- "For a good place to start, concerning causality as it relates to physics and the mathematics of..."
- Native grass could be key to super-thin condoms
- Teaching neurons to respond to placebos as potential treatment for Parkinson's
- Fall in one-to-one nursing care of very sick newborns linked to higher death rate
- Starfish reveal the origins of brain messenger molecules
- Horses can read human emotions, University of Sussex research shows