Are blogs valuable? They must be to science readers. A Pew Research Center study shows that Old Media doesn't cover science very well, leaving a gap to be filled by bloggers, with 10X the science content. And leadership.
They cite the "ClimateGate" East Anglia coverage, which was basically ignored by cheerleaders in science journalism until it took off in the blogosphere. A week later, it gained traction in traditional media.
In opposition to non evidence-based claims of Science's crazy old uncle, Donald Kennedy, who clearly misses the glory days of 1980s journalism when it meant progressive good works and claims blogging is just 'journals of announcement', blogs and journalism shared the same lead story with traditional media in just 13 of the 49 weeks studied.
10X the science content and original stuff that journalism doesn't cover until a week later. I'd say blogging is here to stay.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Gut Bacteria Ensure A Healthy Brain – and Could Play A Role In Treating Depression
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- The Strange Organic Molecules In Titan's Atmosphere
- We're Too Late To Prevent 137,000 More Ebola Cases, Says Epidemiology Paper
- The Quote Of The Week - Shocked And Disappointed
- Type 1 Diabetes Surges In White Kids
- It Takes More Than Singing To Strike A Chord In Music Education
- "I found the AMO/PDO charts to be very broad, and hard to tell (at least with the limited knowledge..."
- "I have dabbled with AMO and PDO, but it really needs to be more of a comparison to SST's, at which..."
- "The UN with it's small direct Ebola budget is hiring Ebola survivors to take care of sick kids..."
- "Ebola patients are sometimes thought of as Zombies returning from the dead. If one is low in fluids..."
- "In a universe of infinite realities, maybe there is one where homeopathy works. Just not in this..."
- Leftist dystopia? Anti-technology fever animates opposition to GMOs and other ‘disruptive’ technologies
- CDC faced a nearly impossible balancing act with Ebola, and failed
- Why Chobani reversed course, making yoghurt only from milk from cows not fed GMO grain
- Monterey, California, hotbed of anti-GMO activism, home to new GMO corn farm
- Evolution is sometimes messy or even outright ridiculous
- Rich and famous embrace Vandana Shiva, wealthy self-described savior of the poor