Are blogs valuable? They must be to science readers. A Pew Research Center study shows that Old Media doesn't cover science very well, leaving a gap to be filled by bloggers, with 10X the science content. And leadership.
They cite the "ClimateGate" East Anglia coverage, which was basically ignored by cheerleaders in science journalism until it took off in the blogosphere. A week later, it gained traction in traditional media.
In opposition to non evidence-based claims of Science's crazy old uncle, Donald Kennedy, who clearly misses the glory days of 1980s journalism when it meant progressive good works and claims blogging is just 'journals of announcement', blogs and journalism shared the same lead story with traditional media in just 13 of the 49 weeks studied.
10X the science content and original stuff that journalism doesn't cover until a week later. I'd say blogging is here to stay.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Be In Such A Rush To Go Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- Paleo: In A Clinical Trial, Bread Made With Ancient Grains Could Benefit Heart Health
- Why Psychology Lost Its Soul - Science Replaced It
- Hubble Spots Europa Geysers Again - How They Did It - And What Next? Flyby? Lander?
- Chatelperronian Hominins: Disputed Neanderthal Region Confirmed In France
- No Go Area! What? What is that?
- "Robert hey you know the asteroid called 2002 NT7? I know that NASA already ruled out the possibility..."
- "Seems you agree with me a few things. How would you make your own scale? (ignoring desire for the..."
- "Well, first there's the timescale. If you build a dyson sphere, you don't have the capability to..."
- "I don't think that much of the Kardashev scale. Especially L2,3 star vs galaxy. How would it be..."
- "When Descartes claimed ... the soul ... is eternal and indivisible... it's obvious he starts with..."
- Is Parenting Kids of Human and Canine Persuasion the Same? Yes!
- Diabetes: MiniMed 670G Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin System Is A Waypoint To An Artificial Pancreas
- Celebrate Oktoberfest with Beer Chemistry
- Littlest Consumers Doing Well, Nutrition-wise
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Exciting News, But Don't Throw Away Condoms Just Yet
- Ben & Jerry’s Asks Us to Take Big Lick of Fear & Hype
- Antipsychotic medications linked to increased risk of pneumonia in persons with Alzheimer's disease
- Multiple sclerosis misdiagnosis shows need for improved education of clinicians
- Brown adipose tissue can secrete factors that activate fat and carbohydrate metabolism
- Therapeutic Gene Delivery for Inherited Retinal Degeneration in Children
- Molecular atlas of the pancreas