Good Morning America is doing its part for scare journalism, this time telling us that if one computer prediction about global warming is correct, there won't be any wild coffee beans left.
Relax, GMA, your guy already won the election, you don't need to drum up hysteria any more. With four more years in office, he can go back to ignoring climate change, just like every other politician and focus on important stuff in the upcoming holiday season, like taxing Christmas tree farmers so the government can promote Christmas trees.
GMA is concerned about a paper about a projection in the pay-to-publish journal PLoS One. If you are not aware, coffee is a big industry, generating $15.4 billion and employing up to 26 million people in dozens of countries. Coffee arabica (Arabica coffee, about 70% of the market) and Coffee canephora (Robusta) are the most commonly grown of the 125 species. Plantation coffee lines, as you might guess, have been chosen by farmers for a variety of delightful reasons but because coffee grows best under certain conditions and growers want the best product produced with the most efficiency, coffee is not all that diverse.
Presto, we get a numerical model saying if conditions change for growing and those lines are not as good, well, evolution won't happen, nor will growers use new lines optimized for current conditions, we will all just go without coffee.
And then Good Morning America has some science to talk about.
Citation: Davis AP, Gole TW, Baena S, Moat J (2012) The Impact of Climate Change on Indigenous Arabica Coffee (Coffea arabica): Predicting Future Trends and Identifying Priorities. PLoS ONE 7(11): e47981. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0047981
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- GMOs Have Formaldehyde? Bizarre Claim Challenged By Experts
- (Well)-Paid PhD Position In Physics Offered In Padova, Italy
- Bees: Activists Remain Silent While This Pollinator Killer Decimates Millions
- New Ice Age Is Coming, By 2030, Says Analysis
- Vladimir Putin Thinks The World Of Sepp Blatter
- "I can see that you are the type that piles on the facts (which you often misinterpret) mixed with..."
- "Unfortunately, people who know nothing about bees - amateur beekeepers who let them die due to..."
- "Aside from the fact that you have proven that logic based on incorrect premisses [sic] will lead..."
- "Articles like this are designed to create what type of response? I believe to create sympathy for..."
- "Hello John Raymond, You wrote: When a chemist says that aspartame contains methanol, it is not..."
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control
- Paralyzed men move legs thanks to non-invasive spinal cord stimulation
- California 'rain debt' equal to average full year of precipitation
- Cancer patients lose faith in healthcare system if referred late by GP