Good Morning America is doing its part for scare journalism, this time telling us that if one computer prediction about global warming is correct, there won't be any wild coffee beans left.
Relax, GMA, your guy already won the election, you don't need to drum up hysteria any more. With four more years in office, he can go back to ignoring climate change, just like every other politician and focus on important stuff in the upcoming holiday season, like taxing Christmas tree farmers so the government can promote Christmas trees.
GMA is concerned about a paper about a projection in the pay-to-publish journal PLoS One. If you are not aware, coffee is a big industry, generating $15.4 billion and employing up to 26 million people in dozens of countries. Coffee arabica (Arabica coffee, about 70% of the market) and Coffee canephora (Robusta) are the most commonly grown of the 125 species. Plantation coffee lines, as you might guess, have been chosen by farmers for a variety of delightful reasons but because coffee grows best under certain conditions and growers want the best product produced with the most efficiency, coffee is not all that diverse.
Presto, we get a numerical model saying if conditions change for growing and those lines are not as good, well, evolution won't happen, nor will growers use new lines optimized for current conditions, we will all just go without coffee.
And then Good Morning America has some science to talk about.
Citation: Davis AP, Gole TW, Baena S, Moat J (2012) The Impact of Climate Change on Indigenous Arabica Coffee (Coffea arabica): Predicting Future Trends and Identifying Priorities. PLoS ONE 7(11): e47981. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0047981
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Anomaly! Book Of The Week At Times Higher Education
- Random Thoughts Of A Physicist In Honeymoon
- It's Been Another Record Year For Agriculture - When Do Climate Change Forecasts Come True?
- Climate Change Made The Sahara Green - Then Took It Away Again
- How Wind Turbines Work - A Legal Perspective
- Sitting Linked To Premature Aging - And Hopefully Skepticism
- Anomaly! At 35% Discount For Ten More Days
- "I don't know why my comment's formatting was lost in the transmission, so that it is now one big..."
- "“If you don't use probabilities then how else do you do it? At any rate that's not a criticism..."
- "Tomasso, Congratulations, may you enjoy a long and happy life together with Kalliopi! Best regards..."
- "Found another one : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/545975/end-of-the-world-Gods-vengeance..."
- "Thanks :). Actually there are so many fake doomsday red top tabloid stories that I tend to wait..."
- A Drug 85 Times More Potent than THC Caused 'Zombie Outbreak' in New York City
- Doubt Cast Over Sunscreen-Vs.-Shade Study
- ABCD: Obesity Has A New Name, Will It Stop The Epidemic?
- President George H. W. Bush in ICU, Wife Barbara in Same Hospital
- Media Think World of Science and Health Will End on Inauguration Day 2017
- And Then There Were Three: A New Trivalent Herpes Vaccine Enters The Scene