Was there an impact on Jupiter or is that new dark spot just a temporary anomaly?
Anthony Wesley, who hails from Canberra, Australia, grabbed this shot of a new dark spot near the south pole of Jupiter. The great thing about astronomy is it's one of the last areas in science where 'amateurs' can still do great things before Big Science gets to it.
Nancy Atkinson at Universe Today says it's similar to the marks left by Comet P/Shoemaker-Levy 9 15 years back while Phil Plait at Discover says it's likely just weather.
Moon shadow? Nope, wrong place and wrong size, says Wesley.
Preliminary image showing a black mark in Jupiters South Polar Region (SPR) which is almost certainly the result of a large impact - either an asteroid or comet - similar to the Shoemaker-Levy 9 impacts in 1994. Image captured by Anthony Wesley on 19th July 2009 at 1554UTC from Murrumbateman Australia
What say you? We'll find out more in the next day or two but kudos to Wesley for being there first with his swanky new 14.5" Newtonian.
See it yourself soon:
2009 Jul 20 02:00 ( 216°)
2009 Jul 20 11:56 ( 216°)
2009 Jul 20 21:52 ( 216°)
2009 Jul 21 07:47 ( 216°)
2009 Jul 21 17:43 ( 216°)
For even more times when this dark spot on Jupiter will be visible, see Mike Salway's blog.
For JPL's analysis of what it was, see the next post Dark Spot On Jupiter: New Impact 15 Years After The Last One.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- World Did NOT End On 29th July! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story - Journalists Please Be More Responsible
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- "Hello Sacha,Humility is a good thing, but 100% may not be science, Acceptable certainty with room..."
- "Yes that's true, the actual video was just too crazy to debunk in detail. Things like the stars..."
- "Hi mr walker glad were still here apparently that one yesterday wasent anything to do with nibiru..."
- "It's a bit smaller. Chicxulub was probably about 10 km in diameter, while 1950 DA is 1.1 km in..."
- "You forgot something there donaldtrump2, the most important US Constitutional right: buy more guns..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes