While Europeans trade blame about the E. coli contamination that has killed 14 people and made hundreds sick, one factoid is left out of most news stories - you're far more likely to get E. coli from food in organic supermarkets, where European governments are now sending inspectors to try and contain the risk.
Anti-science progressives have waged a decade-long war on genetically-modified food but, to-date, not so much as a single stomach ache has been caused by any modified vegetables, with 400 million people having eaten GMOs, while persistent outbreaks in E. coli correspond to increases in organic food claims that it is nutritionally superior or better in any way at all than ordinary farm-raised food, despite numerous studies showing the opposite. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has refused to recognize "organic" food as distinguishable in any way from any other food, except in growing process, because it simply isn't.
If E. coli is not to your liking, you can also enjoy pyrethrin, one of several common toxic chemicals sprayed on fruit trees by organic farmers, rotenone, a neurotoxin recently linked to Parkinson's disease, ricin and strychnine - all natural and all organic and all allowed in organic food.
Pesticides are bad enough but what about fertilizer? 'Organic' fertilizer is, of course, feces, and that is what is making all those Europeans sick. Synthetic fertilizer does not contain bacteria of any kind.
The carcinogens in every cup of 'organic' coffee include acetaldehyde, benzaldehyde, benzene, benzo(a)pyrene, benzofuran, caffeic acid, catechol, 1,2,5,6-dibenz(a)anthracene, ethylbenzene, formaldehyde, furan, furfural, hydroquinone, d-limonene, 4-methylcatechol, styrene, and toluene. What's the catch? Well, those are in every cup of non-organic coffee too - there is no difference and there is a 1 in 100,000 chance coffee can give you cancer.
I am not contending you blindly let Monsanto determine your well-being, I am not a conservative shill for big business; if my wife would allow it nothing that touches my family would not be grown, killed, cleaned and cooked by my hands alone - but from a science point of view, anyone advocating 'organic' food is selling something as surely as Monsanto is.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Crossref To Accept Preprints In Change To Long-standing Policy
- A Statistics Session At A Particle Physics Conference ?
- The Number Of My Publications Has Four Digits
- 'Super Males' Emerge From Male-dominated Populations, Study Finds
- A Filter That Shaped Evolution Of Primates In Asia
- Beekeepers Can Be Hazardous To Bees
- Glaucoma Drug Delivery Device Meters Out Eye Medication For Six Months
- "Right - the chances that I know more about that than the examiner are very high anyway :)In any..."
- "So is this thing real then or not read somewhere saying it will hit around September this year..."
- "This is NOT my goal. ... My goal is ... a number that can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and..."
- "Is anyone aware that you have to have 80% villous (spelling?) atrophy to get a celiac diagnosis..."
- "Hello MathGeek:Thank you for stating your starting position so clearly:This is NOT my goal. I also..."
- Continental drift created biologically diverse coral reefs
- Silk keeps fruit fresh without refrigeration, according to Tufts study
- Temple study examines whether compression stockings can prevent post-thrombotic syndrome
- Research collaboration IDs serum biomarkers that predict preclinical IBD development and complications
- 'Super males' emerge from male-dominated populations, study finds