While Europeans trade blame about the E. coli contamination that has killed 14 people and made hundreds sick, one factoid is left out of most news stories - you're far more likely to get E. coli from food in organic supermarkets, where European governments are now sending inspectors to try and contain the risk.
Anti-science progressives have waged a decade-long war on genetically-modified food but, to-date, not so much as a single stomach ache has been caused by any modified vegetables, with 400 million people having eaten GMOs, while persistent outbreaks in E. coli correspond to increases in organic food claims that it is nutritionally superior or better in any way at all than ordinary farm-raised food, despite numerous studies showing the opposite. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has refused to recognize "organic" food as distinguishable in any way from any other food, except in growing process, because it simply isn't.
If E. coli is not to your liking, you can also enjoy pyrethrin, one of several common toxic chemicals sprayed on fruit trees by organic farmers, rotenone, a neurotoxin recently linked to Parkinson's disease, ricin and strychnine - all natural and all organic and all allowed in organic food.
Pesticides are bad enough but what about fertilizer? 'Organic' fertilizer is, of course, feces, and that is what is making all those Europeans sick. Synthetic fertilizer does not contain bacteria of any kind.
The carcinogens in every cup of 'organic' coffee include acetaldehyde, benzaldehyde, benzene, benzo(a)pyrene, benzofuran, caffeic acid, catechol, 1,2,5,6-dibenz(a)anthracene, ethylbenzene, formaldehyde, furan, furfural, hydroquinone, d-limonene, 4-methylcatechol, styrene, and toluene. What's the catch? Well, those are in every cup of non-organic coffee too - there is no difference and there is a 1 in 100,000 chance coffee can give you cancer.
I am not contending you blindly let Monsanto determine your well-being, I am not a conservative shill for big business; if my wife would allow it nothing that touches my family would not be grown, killed, cleaned and cooked by my hands alone - but from a science point of view, anyone advocating 'organic' food is selling something as surely as Monsanto is.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Genetic Clues Of Severe Food Allergy
- 3X Saturated Fat In The Diet Doesn't Increase It In Blood
- Is Religion A Consolation Worth Having?
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- Want A Man To Help? High Heels Work
- Still No Contact with NASA's Sun-watching Probe
- "Public health groups, scientists, and environmental groups warned in a letter to lawmakers that..."
- "It's just politics. Right now, we pay academics taxpayer money and they are able to spend their..."
- "From my understanding that statement is false. Those bills are anti-EPA and not anti-science..."
- "Wanted to actually watch the movie before I responded, but the movie clearly alluded to a war,..."
- "Here in the US, three new house bills including HR 1422 essentially exclude science from the political..."
- Modified DNA backbone enables success of existing and novel oligonucleotide therapeutics
- Gene in kidney may play role in high blood pressure
- Panel-based genetic diagnostic testing for inherited eye disease proves highly accurate
- Research finds tooth enamel fast-track in humans
- Good news for cocaine users: Caffeine counters cocaine's effects on women's estrus cycles