While Europeans trade blame about the E. coli contamination that has killed 14 people and made hundreds sick, one factoid is left out of most news stories - you're far more likely to get E. coli from food in organic supermarkets, where European governments are now sending inspectors to try and contain the risk.
Anti-science progressives have waged a decade-long war on genetically-modified food but, to-date, not so much as a single stomach ache has been caused by any modified vegetables, with 400 million people having eaten GMOs, while persistent outbreaks in E. coli correspond to increases in organic food claims that it is nutritionally superior or better in any way at all than ordinary farm-raised food, despite numerous studies showing the opposite. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has refused to recognize "organic" food as distinguishable in any way from any other food, except in growing process, because it simply isn't.
If E. coli is not to your liking, you can also enjoy pyrethrin, one of several common toxic chemicals sprayed on fruit trees by organic farmers, rotenone, a neurotoxin recently linked to Parkinson's disease, ricin and strychnine - all natural and all organic and all allowed in organic food.
Pesticides are bad enough but what about fertilizer? 'Organic' fertilizer is, of course, feces, and that is what is making all those Europeans sick. Synthetic fertilizer does not contain bacteria of any kind.
The carcinogens in every cup of 'organic' coffee include acetaldehyde, benzaldehyde, benzene, benzo(a)pyrene, benzofuran, caffeic acid, catechol, 1,2,5,6-dibenz(a)anthracene, ethylbenzene, formaldehyde, furan, furfural, hydroquinone, d-limonene, 4-methylcatechol, styrene, and toluene. What's the catch? Well, those are in every cup of non-organic coffee too - there is no difference and there is a 1 in 100,000 chance coffee can give you cancer.
I am not contending you blindly let Monsanto determine your well-being, I am not a conservative shill for big business; if my wife would allow it nothing that touches my family would not be grown, killed, cleaned and cooked by my hands alone - but from a science point of view, anyone advocating 'organic' food is selling something as surely as Monsanto is.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- When Does Quantum Mechanics Become Classical Physics?
- Roseroot Herb For Depression - Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Trial
- Dark Matter - Now With More Darkness
- Bee Colonies In 2014 Increase Another 4 Percent
- "I am reminded of the Australian children’s sci-fi serial, Tomorrow’s End. It is the year..."
- "Really thank you very much for this list of health guest posts sites ..."
- "Nice article. A good wake up call for educators and psychologists. Failure to..."
- "I can not see any comment yet. Again I do appreciate if one can point out any oversimplification..."
- Food kinetics: Color of lettuce linked to antioxidant effect
- The secret lives of pandas
- First fully-implantable micropacemaker designed for fetal use
- Playing music by musicians activates genes responsible for brain function and singing of songbirds
- CRISPR-Cas9 edit technique for mosquito that transmits chikungunya yellow fever