While Europeans trade blame about the E. coli contamination that has killed 14 people and made hundreds sick, one factoid is left out of most news stories - you're far more likely to get E. coli from food in organic supermarkets, where European governments are now sending inspectors to try and contain the risk.
Anti-science progressives have waged a decade-long war on genetically-modified food but, to-date, not so much as a single stomach ache has been caused by any modified vegetables, with 400 million people having eaten GMOs, while persistent outbreaks in E. coli correspond to increases in organic food claims that it is nutritionally superior or better in any way at all than ordinary farm-raised food, despite numerous studies showing the opposite. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has refused to recognize "organic" food as distinguishable in any way from any other food, except in growing process, because it simply isn't.
If E. coli is not to your liking, you can also enjoy pyrethrin, one of several common toxic chemicals sprayed on fruit trees by organic farmers, rotenone, a neurotoxin recently linked to Parkinson's disease, ricin and strychnine - all natural and all organic and all allowed in organic food.
Pesticides are bad enough but what about fertilizer? 'Organic' fertilizer is, of course, feces, and that is what is making all those Europeans sick. Synthetic fertilizer does not contain bacteria of any kind.
The carcinogens in every cup of 'organic' coffee include acetaldehyde, benzaldehyde, benzene, benzo(a)pyrene, benzofuran, caffeic acid, catechol, 1,2,5,6-dibenz(a)anthracene, ethylbenzene, formaldehyde, furan, furfural, hydroquinone, d-limonene, 4-methylcatechol, styrene, and toluene. What's the catch? Well, those are in every cup of non-organic coffee too - there is no difference and there is a 1 in 100,000 chance coffee can give you cancer.
I am not contending you blindly let Monsanto determine your well-being, I am not a conservative shill for big business; if my wife would allow it nothing that touches my family would not be grown, killed, cleaned and cooked by my hands alone - but from a science point of view, anyone advocating 'organic' food is selling something as surely as Monsanto is.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Poisons Chemists Hate, But You Just Ate
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- A New Target For Machado Joseph Disease Treatment
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- "maybe if I told the person to read through your blog and perhaps just try and assure him that this..."
- "What can I do or say that could help?..."
- "I no people that have thought about commiting suicide because of this nibiru I don't think I could..."
- "No, I'm not saying you have to take my word for it. I'm saying with just a bit of common sense..."
- "Are these chemical that a purposely put into these foods are are they naturally occurring? If they..."
- Type-2 Diabetes Drug Ineffective for Obese, Type-1 Teens
- Insulin Pill Could Revolutionize Diabetes Treatment
- For Hypertension Patients, Nearly Half Lack Proper Care
- Antibiotic Resistance: Beginning of the End?
- Give to ACSH on Giving Tuesday!
- Global Energy Balance Network and Coke: What Emails Reveal
- Photonic 'sintering' may create new solar, electronics manufacturing technologies
- How does your garden grow? For cancer patients, small gardens could bring big benefits
- Unique study maps political orientation of all 50 US states over time
- After hip-replacement surgery, medication use decreases
- Red means 'go' to therapeutic viruses