While Europeans trade blame about the E. coli contamination that has killed 14 people and made hundreds sick, one factoid is left out of most news stories - you're far more likely to get E. coli from food in organic supermarkets, where European governments are now sending inspectors to try and contain the risk.
Anti-science progressives have waged a decade-long war on genetically-modified food but, to-date, not so much as a single stomach ache has been caused by any modified vegetables, with 400 million people having eaten GMOs, while persistent outbreaks in E. coli correspond to increases in organic food claims that it is nutritionally superior or better in any way at all than ordinary farm-raised food, despite numerous studies showing the opposite. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has refused to recognize "organic" food as distinguishable in any way from any other food, except in growing process, because it simply isn't.
If E. coli is not to your liking, you can also enjoy pyrethrin, one of several common toxic chemicals sprayed on fruit trees by organic farmers, rotenone, a neurotoxin recently linked to Parkinson's disease, ricin and strychnine - all natural and all organic and all allowed in organic food.
Pesticides are bad enough but what about fertilizer? 'Organic' fertilizer is, of course, feces, and that is what is making all those Europeans sick. Synthetic fertilizer does not contain bacteria of any kind.
The carcinogens in every cup of 'organic' coffee include acetaldehyde, benzaldehyde, benzene, benzo(a)pyrene, benzofuran, caffeic acid, catechol, 1,2,5,6-dibenz(a)anthracene, ethylbenzene, formaldehyde, furan, furfural, hydroquinone, d-limonene, 4-methylcatechol, styrene, and toluene. What's the catch? Well, those are in every cup of non-organic coffee too - there is no difference and there is a 1 in 100,000 chance coffee can give you cancer.
I am not contending you blindly let Monsanto determine your well-being, I am not a conservative shill for big business; if my wife would allow it nothing that touches my family would not be grown, killed, cleaned and cooked by my hands alone - but from a science point of view, anyone advocating 'organic' food is selling something as surely as Monsanto is.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- The Daily Physics Problem - 3
- Avoid Showing The Jacksonville Jaguars And Other Ways To Optimize Monday Night Football
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- Curcumin And Silymarin Plant Compounds Give '1-2' Punch To Colon Cancer
- "Although the peak is indeed at low pt, there's always high-pt muons coming from above, even at..."
- "Hi,sorry but I think that all the 16 winners of the 2005 exam were very good physicists. I do not..."
- "One needs to remember some numbers by heart...Cheers,T...."
- "I get the point of all this but am curious, at what point in practice would an experimentalist..."
- "Are you referring to Mike Brown's new Planet X idea, usually called Planet 9 (though I think that's..."
- WSU researchers get unprecedented look at DNA damage
- Before animals, evolution waited eons to inhale
- US police killed or injured more than 55,000 people during 'legal interventions' in 2012
- Statins improve birth outcomes for mothers with an autoimmune disorder
- Changes in teenage brain structure provide clues to onset of mental health problems