While Europeans trade blame about the E. coli contamination that has killed 14 people and made hundreds sick, one factoid is left out of most news stories - you're far more likely to get E. coli from food in organic supermarkets, where European governments are now sending inspectors to try and contain the risk.
Anti-science progressives have waged a decade-long war on genetically-modified food but, to-date, not so much as a single stomach ache has been caused by any modified vegetables, with 400 million people having eaten GMOs, while persistent outbreaks in E. coli correspond to increases in organic food claims that it is nutritionally superior or better in any way at all than ordinary farm-raised food, despite numerous studies showing the opposite. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has refused to recognize "organic" food as distinguishable in any way from any other food, except in growing process, because it simply isn't.
If E. coli is not to your liking, you can also enjoy pyrethrin, one of several common toxic chemicals sprayed on fruit trees by organic farmers, rotenone, a neurotoxin recently linked to Parkinson's disease, ricin and strychnine - all natural and all organic and all allowed in organic food.
Pesticides are bad enough but what about fertilizer? 'Organic' fertilizer is, of course, feces, and that is what is making all those Europeans sick. Synthetic fertilizer does not contain bacteria of any kind.
The carcinogens in every cup of 'organic' coffee include acetaldehyde, benzaldehyde, benzene, benzo(a)pyrene, benzofuran, caffeic acid, catechol, 1,2,5,6-dibenz(a)anthracene, ethylbenzene, formaldehyde, furan, furfural, hydroquinone, d-limonene, 4-methylcatechol, styrene, and toluene. What's the catch? Well, those are in every cup of non-organic coffee too - there is no difference and there is a 1 in 100,000 chance coffee can give you cancer.
I am not contending you blindly let Monsanto determine your well-being, I am not a conservative shill for big business; if my wife would allow it nothing that touches my family would not be grown, killed, cleaned and cooked by my hands alone - but from a science point of view, anyone advocating 'organic' food is selling something as surely as Monsanto is.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Not Just Vitamin D - The Radiation In Sunshine May Be Healthy
- Ignorance Of Math And Physics Is No Excuse
- War On Doping And The Hypocritical Treatment Of Lance Armstrong
- Quantum Cryptography Core Question At The Heart Of Quantum Information Theory Answered?!?
- Mars Lost An Ocean’s Worth Of Water
- Science Debunks Fad Ideas About Autism, But That Doesn't Dissuade Believers
- GMO Soybean Oil Is Healthier Than Organic Or Conventional
- "Nope You can treat for the mites. It is done effectively every day. And the poorly funded research..."
- "And you would not equate McCarthy to Hitler or Stalin? ..."
- "Because anti-communism is indeed on the same shelf as racism and greed. Just another ideology of..."
- "I think I have to agree with you here. I think he changed the culture of doping not doping itself..."
- "Here is at least one thing that bothers me. The grand tours are International European events ..."
- BPA harms dental enamel in young animals, mimicking human tooth defect
- People with anorexia, body dysmorphic disorder share brain anomalies
- Feeling sleepy? Might be the melatonin
- Chromosomal rearrangement is the key to progress against aggressive infant leukemia
- Infant growth affected by exposure to environmental pollutants