While Europeans trade blame about the E. coli contamination that has killed 14 people and made hundreds sick, one factoid is left out of most news stories - you're far more likely to get E. coli from food in organic supermarkets, where European governments are now sending inspectors to try and contain the risk.
Anti-science progressives have waged a decade-long war on genetically-modified food but, to-date, not so much as a single stomach ache has been caused by any modified vegetables, with 400 million people having eaten GMOs, while persistent outbreaks in E. coli correspond to increases in organic food claims that it is nutritionally superior or better in any way at all than ordinary farm-raised food, despite numerous studies showing the opposite. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has refused to recognize "organic" food as distinguishable in any way from any other food, except in growing process, because it simply isn't.
If E. coli is not to your liking, you can also enjoy pyrethrin, one of several common toxic chemicals sprayed on fruit trees by organic farmers, rotenone, a neurotoxin recently linked to Parkinson's disease, ricin and strychnine - all natural and all organic and all allowed in organic food.
Pesticides are bad enough but what about fertilizer? 'Organic' fertilizer is, of course, feces, and that is what is making all those Europeans sick. Synthetic fertilizer does not contain bacteria of any kind.
The carcinogens in every cup of 'organic' coffee include acetaldehyde, benzaldehyde, benzene, benzo(a)pyrene, benzofuran, caffeic acid, catechol, 1,2,5,6-dibenz(a)anthracene, ethylbenzene, formaldehyde, furan, furfural, hydroquinone, d-limonene, 4-methylcatechol, styrene, and toluene. What's the catch? Well, those are in every cup of non-organic coffee too - there is no difference and there is a 1 in 100,000 chance coffee can give you cancer.
I am not contending you blindly let Monsanto determine your well-being, I am not a conservative shill for big business; if my wife would allow it nothing that touches my family would not be grown, killed, cleaned and cooked by my hands alone - but from a science point of view, anyone advocating 'organic' food is selling something as surely as Monsanto is.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Your Probiotic Probably Has Gluten
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- 2nd law of thermodynamics
- Mummy Madness In The Anatomical Record - All Open Access
- Will We Soon Have A 2-D Liquid?
- Highest Energy Collisions ? Not In My Book
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- "I investigated it before I hit the 'post' button on my comment. Some articles supported the assertion..."
- "Great Article and useful tip this blog gives people good information. You really mention here some..."
- "Whatever that RT thing is writes that same article every 6 months, and every 6 months someone has..."
- "Here's one good answer to the question of your title: http://rt.com/news/261673-india-gmo..."
- "I'm fine, don't have Morgellons or chronic lyme disease, and thinking about the condition doesn't..."
- Savannahs slow climate change
- Sudden onset of ice loss in Antarctica detected
- Proton therapy has fewer side effects in esophageal cancer patients
- Mood instability common to mental health disorders and associated with poor outcomes
- Depression associated with 5-fold increase in mortality risk for heart failure patients