Dr. Vandana Shiva, eco-feminist - whatever that means - philosopher and environmental activist does not like that Mark Lynas has changed from being an anti-GMO crackpot, like her, to accepting science.
On her Twitterfeed, which is chock full of lunatic rantings for the 17X as many followers of her nonsense as I have, she provided an extra-special treat for her acolytes: she said that allowing farmers to use GMOs was the same as telling rapists it is okay to rape.
No GMOs are safe, she has declared with her awesome knowledge of philosophy. But she is on a committee with Jeremy Rifkin, who popularized the 'it takes a gallon of gas to grow a pound of beef' pretend metric that is one of the many goofball claims I debunk in Science Left Behind (with Dr. Alex Berezow, Public Affairs 2012), and Ralph Nader, so she must know what she is talking about regarding food science.
She also claimed for her PhD thesis that hidden variables and locality in quantum theory were explained by philosophy - philosophers love science-y jargon, as we all learned in the Sokal Affair - so physicists know to listen when she speaks as well. Now she has again let biologists know how stupid they are - nothing new, every crackpot tells biologists they are stupid - but also that they are like rapists.
She is using emotional hyperbole, of course. That was a key weapon Lynas cited in his 5,000-word lecture on how he undermined GMOs. Ironically, for a feminist she clearly loves plants more than she loves women, since she just demeaned and devalued rape victims - including the victim of a horrible crime that just occurred in her home city of New Delhi last week - but maybe she felt the analogy was legitimate because she hears about rape so often. It happens every 20 minutes in her city while she makes up nonsense about plants instead of trying to fix the problem. Strange behavior, for a feminist.
'You are a rapist if you accept science' not all you can read on her Twitterfeed. You can also be treated to statements like "Plants also have integrity . We need to move from an patriarchal ,anthropocentric worldview to one based on #EarthDemocracy" (sic), which has meaning to people who are batty enough to pay any attention to what she says.
H/T Becca Harrison via Twitter
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- My Thoughts On The LIGO-VIRGO Result
- Henri Poincaré Predicted The Existence Of Gravitational Waves As Early As June 5, 1905
- The 10 catastrophic mistakes virtual reality firms are making
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- Using Stories To Teach Human Values To Robots
- Put That In Your E-Cigarette And Vape It: Or Should You?
- LIGO, Gravitational Waves, And Laser Interferometry
- "I am somewhat confused. Where did the three solar masses that were converted to gravity waves come..."
- "Veronique,You are right to suspect that the organic industry has been more than happy to go along..."
- "I'm not understanding yet, but this is like unravelling a fun physics puzzle. I'd thank you for..."
- "I would just like to thank the author of this article for having the balls to take a stand against..."
- Natural Flavors Are More Radioactive Than Artificial Ones.
- Bariatric Surgery Beneficial Even for Older People
- Opiates No Better at Easing Knee Osteoarthritis Pain
- BRCA Tests Increasing for Younger Breast Cancer Patients
- EWG Verified: A New Way To Greenmail Food Companies
- A Cluttered Kitchen May Undo Your Diet
- Eating breakfast could help obese people get more active
- 'Jaws' may help humans grow new teeth, shark study suggests
- For a special Valentine? Beyond diamonds and gems: The world's rarest minerals
- Most precise measurement of reactor Antineutrino spectrum reveals intriguing surprise
- Using stories to teach human values to artificial agents