A man with an inherited form of blindness, retinitis pigmentosa, has been able to identify a coffee mug and various shades of gray using a retina implant, according to work published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
The Retina Implant AG is a sub-retinal chip placed in the central macular area behind the retina. Their chip works by converting light that enters the eye into electrical impulses which get fed into the optic nerve behind the eye. It requires an external battery which was connected to a cable that protruded from the skin behind the ear.
It's not ready for prime-time just yet and they're not the only ones working on a solution. The BBC notes that a rival chip by US-based Second Sight sits on top of the retina and has already been implanted in patients, but the Second Sight version requires the patient to be fitted with a camera fixed to a pair of glasses.
Citation: Eberhart Zrenner, Karl Ulrich Bartz-Schmidt, Heval Benav, Dorothea Besch, Anna Bruckmann, Veit-Peter Gabel, Florian Gekeler, Udo Greppmaier, Alex Harscher, Steffen Kibbel, Johannes Koch, Akos Kusnyerik, Tobias Peters, Katarina Stingl, Helmut Sachs, Alfred Stett, Peter Szurman, Barbara Wilhelm, and Robert Wilke, 'Subretinal electronic chips allow blind patients to read letters and combine them to words', Proc. R. Soc. B published online before print November 3, 2010, doi:10.1098/rspb.2010.1747 (free to read)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Microwave Electron Guns: A Field-Emission Plug-And-Play Solution
- Ancient Buried Canyon In South Tibet Rules Out Tectonic Aneurysm
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- The BPA Paradox – Too Many Studies?
- In A Snowstorm, Do You Want Salt Or Vegetable Juice On Your Road?
- Extraordinary Claims: Review My Paper For $10
- "And one of my odd word Google alerts pays off. Into the article archive for repetitive linking..."
- "It's not just the city of Seattle. The state Dept of Ecoterrorism finds excuses to slaughter the..."
- "Possibly not so far fetched; Humans seem to prefer funding space exploration on nationalistic rather..."
- "With a MacBook less. Good thing aliens had also spontaneously developed HyperTalk or Taligent or..."
- "That's probably just your American Exceptionalism Privilege talking. Other countries are less imperialistic..."
- Clipping proteins that package genes may limit abnormal cell growth in tumors
- Investigational drug reduces high potassium levels in chronic kidney disease patients
- Study: Doubling saturated fat in the diet does not increase saturated fat in blood
- Women with serious mental illness less likely to receive cancer screenings
- Only half of patients take their medications as prescribed