A man with an inherited form of blindness, retinitis pigmentosa, has been able to identify a coffee mug and various shades of gray using a retina implant, according to work published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
The Retina Implant AG is a sub-retinal chip placed in the central macular area behind the retina. Their chip works by converting light that enters the eye into electrical impulses which get fed into the optic nerve behind the eye. It requires an external battery which was connected to a cable that protruded from the skin behind the ear.
It's not ready for prime-time just yet and they're not the only ones working on a solution. The BBC notes that a rival chip by US-based Second Sight sits on top of the retina and has already been implanted in patients, but the Second Sight version requires the patient to be fitted with a camera fixed to a pair of glasses.
Citation: Eberhart Zrenner, Karl Ulrich Bartz-Schmidt, Heval Benav, Dorothea Besch, Anna Bruckmann, Veit-Peter Gabel, Florian Gekeler, Udo Greppmaier, Alex Harscher, Steffen Kibbel, Johannes Koch, Akos Kusnyerik, Tobias Peters, Katarina Stingl, Helmut Sachs, Alfred Stett, Peter Szurman, Barbara Wilhelm, and Robert Wilke, 'Subretinal electronic chips allow blind patients to read letters and combine them to words', Proc. R. Soc. B published online before print November 3, 2010, doi:10.1098/rspb.2010.1747 (free to read)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- "not an oops, an actual mistake: get to choose an overall scaling I didn't think that through. That..."
- "oops... I meant The image of the mapping f(q) = q q*, is isomorphic to the non-negative reals...."
- "That is one very busy logo. A logo is just a shorthand symbol. It doesn't need to tell an entire..."
- "This article acts like people don't have free will. If you happen to make enough money to be able..."
- "Quick side comment: tuple appears in the introductory paragraph of the coordinate system page on..."
- What bee-killing mites can teach us about parasite evolution
- Autism - measured in a sniff
- Opera is deadly - but The Tarantino influence in modern opera is killing it
- Gene therapy for cystic fibrosis shows encouraging trial results
- Prion trials and tribulations: Finding the right tools and experimental models
Books By Writers Here