A man with an inherited form of blindness, retinitis pigmentosa, has been able to identify a coffee mug and various shades of gray using a retina implant, according to work published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
The Retina Implant AG is a sub-retinal chip placed in the central macular area behind the retina. Their chip works by converting light that enters the eye into electrical impulses which get fed into the optic nerve behind the eye. It requires an external battery which was connected to a cable that protruded from the skin behind the ear.
It's not ready for prime-time just yet and they're not the only ones working on a solution. The BBC notes that a rival chip by US-based Second Sight sits on top of the retina and has already been implanted in patients, but the Second Sight version requires the patient to be fitted with a camera fixed to a pair of glasses.
Citation: Eberhart Zrenner, Karl Ulrich Bartz-Schmidt, Heval Benav, Dorothea Besch, Anna Bruckmann, Veit-Peter Gabel, Florian Gekeler, Udo Greppmaier, Alex Harscher, Steffen Kibbel, Johannes Koch, Akos Kusnyerik, Tobias Peters, Katarina Stingl, Helmut Sachs, Alfred Stett, Peter Szurman, Barbara Wilhelm, and Robert Wilke, 'Subretinal electronic chips allow blind patients to read letters and combine them to words', Proc. R. Soc. B published online before print November 3, 2010, doi:10.1098/rspb.2010.1747 (free to read)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- Journalists Be Aware - Your Unverified "Doomsday" News Terrifies Children And Vulnerable People
- EPA Again Delays Report On Safety Of Glyphosate
- DDoS war: How zombie fridges bit the internet in the ass today.
- IPhone Lab Detects Cancer, May Lead To Instant Diagnosis
- Nitrate-Reducing Microbes Linked To Migraine Headaches
- "Hallelujah, HEP is saved!..."
- "Yes, some of them Nancy Lieder doesn't have a clue about astronomy, she claims the most absurd..."
- "Any of these names mean anything to you Zechariah stitchin,nancy lieder,gill boussard,steve olsen..."
- "Oh, a colloquial term. Weird, off center, not normal. I.e. it is not normal behaviour. It indicates..."
- "Even a such a numbskull as myself, I thought this from the beginning of the idea. If land is too..."
- Improved 'Screen Time' Guidelines Could Make Parents & Kids Happier
- Dr. Jamie Wells Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians
- Why Did EPA Delay Its Glyphosate Safety Report?
- Scientists Should Fight Postmodern Public Values
- Stupid Health Scare For Hep C Drugs
- Our Lack of Awareness about Food Consumption & Waste