A man with an inherited form of blindness, retinitis pigmentosa, has been able to identify a coffee mug and various shades of gray using a retina implant, according to work published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
The Retina Implant AG is a sub-retinal chip placed in the central macular area behind the retina. Their chip works by converting light that enters the eye into electrical impulses which get fed into the optic nerve behind the eye. It requires an external battery which was connected to a cable that protruded from the skin behind the ear.
It's not ready for prime-time just yet and they're not the only ones working on a solution. The BBC notes that a rival chip by US-based Second Sight sits on top of the retina and has already been implanted in patients, but the Second Sight version requires the patient to be fitted with a camera fixed to a pair of glasses.
Citation: Eberhart Zrenner, Karl Ulrich Bartz-Schmidt, Heval Benav, Dorothea Besch, Anna Bruckmann, Veit-Peter Gabel, Florian Gekeler, Udo Greppmaier, Alex Harscher, Steffen Kibbel, Johannes Koch, Akos Kusnyerik, Tobias Peters, Katarina Stingl, Helmut Sachs, Alfred Stett, Peter Szurman, Barbara Wilhelm, and Robert Wilke, 'Subretinal electronic chips allow blind patients to read letters and combine them to words', Proc. R. Soc. B published online before print November 3, 2010, doi:10.1098/rspb.2010.1747 (free to read)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- You Are Ready To Eat Insects If You Have These Characteristics
- How The Higgs Became The Target Of Run 2 At The Tevatron
- How Neuroscience Is Being Used To Spread Quackery In Business And Education
- Global 'Roadmap' Shows Where To Put Roads Without Costing The Earth
- MOOCs: Learning About Online Learning, One Click At A Time
- Will We Meet ET Microbes On Mars? Why We Should Care Deeply About Them - Like Tigers
- "If you look up a text on Quantum Electrodynamics you should find a Psi field for creating and destroying..."
- "You guessed alright, that is a page from the book...Cheers,T...."
- "Dear Anon,in 1994 neutrinos were not the main focus of the lab...Cheers,T...."
- "I did not ignore your 4x4 matrices comment, as I explained in the very message you were replying..."
- "I do not know which P5 meeting you attended, but in the mind of the current fnal director, fnal..."
- Geochronology and global context of the Charnian Supergroup
- Confirmation of a low pre-extensional geothermal gradient in the Grayback normal
- Scientists get set for simulated nuclear inspection
- Invisible blood in urine may indicate bladder cancer
- Sugar substance 'kills' good HDL cholesterol, new research finds