Last week I flew to Dallas, Texas to do a spot for a pilot program on The Blaze Network, started by conservative political commentator Glenn Beck.
I had successfully managed to avoid television and instead took more than my share of radio interviews I could do in my pajamas, while my co-author Alez Berezow did the appearances on MSNBC, FOX, C-SPAN, etc. and invariably got insulted for it by people who never actually read the book. As a result, we had only done one radio appearance together (and that only 10 days ago) and no television. But the folks at The Blaze really liked the book, so much they were willing to pay double the travel expenses and, since we didn't have any joint TV appearances, I got up at 4:30 AM and flew to Dallas for 3.5 hours, did the taping and then flew back.
Why wouldn't I get a hotel? I have talked before about this weird neuroscience glitch I have - though someone may tell me where I am going, I pay no attention until I am pulling up to the airport, and sometimes I even hear a different city. Dallas was mentioned half a dozen times or more, yet mentally I heard 'Phoenix' and so I declined their offer of a hotel because Phoenix was a short flight. Then the plane went to Dallas and so I rolled back in around midnight.
When we got to their studios, they asked us to do an additional segment. The segment we flew there to do does not air until this weekend but the bonus spot aired that day and they sent me a clip I could embed here (the network itself, except radio, is subscriber-only).
Stu and Pat are good guys with terrific senses of humor and the entire crew treated science like it should be treated - awesomely. And I thank them for showing us such a good time.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Philae: Rosetta Lander Will Seek A Close Encounter With Comet 67P’s ‘Primordial Soup’
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- How Neuroscience Is Being Used To Spread Quackery In Business And Education
- Will We Meet ET Microbes On Mars? Why We Should Care Deeply About Them - Like Tigers
- Anger Face Is Universal, And It Evolved Because Of Psychology
- Junk Food Rats Ditch Balanced Diet To Eat Just Like Obese People
- Researchers Watch Glass Flipping From One Structure To Another Under Pressure
- "Where's your evidence Robert? We are talking about philosophy not bloody religion!..."
- "I do research in neuroscience. The real good stuff (and it is ground slowly but certainly) will..."
- "from TOLSTOY AND THE CULT OF SIMPLICITY..."
- "If we don't have animal studies, we are left with anecdotes as evidence. I agree organic foods..."
- "Am I the only one who is concerned about the usage of the animals for such experiments? I'm really..."
- Renal denervation more successful when it includes accessory arteries
- Wine only protects against CVD in people who exercise
- Drinking tea reduces non-CV mortality by 24 percent
- AF mortality and morbidity high at 1 year despite good anticoagulant use
- New method predicts optimal number and location of AEDs