Last week I flew to Dallas, Texas to do a spot for a pilot program on The Blaze Network, started by conservative political commentator Glenn Beck.
I had successfully managed to avoid television and instead took more than my share of radio interviews I could do in my pajamas, while my co-author Alez Berezow did the appearances on MSNBC, FOX, C-SPAN, etc. and invariably got insulted for it by people who never actually read the book. As a result, we had only done one radio appearance together (and that only 10 days ago) and no television. But the folks at The Blaze really liked the book, so much they were willing to pay double the travel expenses and, since we didn't have any joint TV appearances, I got up at 4:30 AM and flew to Dallas for 3.5 hours, did the taping and then flew back.
Why wouldn't I get a hotel? I have talked before about this weird neuroscience glitch I have - though someone may tell me where I am going, I pay no attention until I am pulling up to the airport, and sometimes I even hear a different city. Dallas was mentioned half a dozen times or more, yet mentally I heard 'Phoenix' and so I declined their offer of a hotel because Phoenix was a short flight. Then the plane went to Dallas and so I rolled back in around midnight.
When we got to their studios, they asked us to do an additional segment. The segment we flew there to do does not air until this weekend but the bonus spot aired that day and they sent me a clip I could embed here (the network itself, except radio, is subscriber-only).
Stu and Pat are good guys with terrific senses of humor and the entire crew treated science like it should be treated - awesomely. And I thank them for showing us such a good time.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- It's Naive To Pretend Differences Between Women And Men Are Just Genetics
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- GMOs Have Formaldehyde? Bizarre Claim Challenged By Experts
- Bees: Activists Remain Silent While This Pollinator Killer Decimates Millions
- Kepler 452b - Things That Could Go Wrong With Habitability & If It Is - Could We Detect Intelligent Life There?
- "I just wonder if this EM device could be in some way interacting with space itself? I mean there..."
- "Hints are not evidence...Only ghosts in the shell...431..."
- "Hi Tomasso. Yes, I agree with you. But perhaps I will making some posts on statistics at my blog..."
- "Hi Amarashiki,you point to several issues, not one... I did treat some of them in the past in this..."
- "I haven't been there long enough to receive funding from anyone, but I can tell you 99.9% of our..."