Last week I flew to Dallas, Texas to do a spot for a pilot program on The Blaze Network, started by conservative political commentator Glenn Beck.
I had successfully managed to avoid television and instead took more than my share of radio interviews I could do in my pajamas, while my co-author Alez Berezow did the appearances on MSNBC, FOX, C-SPAN, etc. and invariably got insulted for it by people who never actually read the book. As a result, we had only done one radio appearance together (and that only 10 days ago) and no television. But the folks at The Blaze really liked the book, so much they were willing to pay double the travel expenses and, since we didn't have any joint TV appearances, I got up at 4:30 AM and flew to Dallas for 3.5 hours, did the taping and then flew back.
Why wouldn't I get a hotel? I have talked before about this weird neuroscience glitch I have - though someone may tell me where I am going, I pay no attention until I am pulling up to the airport, and sometimes I even hear a different city. Dallas was mentioned half a dozen times or more, yet mentally I heard 'Phoenix' and so I declined their offer of a hotel because Phoenix was a short flight. Then the plane went to Dallas and so I rolled back in around midnight.
When we got to their studios, they asked us to do an additional segment. The segment we flew there to do does not air until this weekend but the bonus spot aired that day and they sent me a clip I could embed here (the network itself, except radio, is subscriber-only).
Stu and Pat are good guys with terrific senses of humor and the entire crew treated science like it should be treated - awesomely. And I thank them for showing us such a good time.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Surveys Show Global Warming Belief Doesn't Change With The Weather
- The BPA Paradox – Too Many Studies?
- Reasons Serious Scientists Should Not Fear The Winnower and other OA Open Review Journals.
- Education: Stop New Age Thinking, Chalk And Talk Might Be The Best Way After All
- Big Data Could Be A Big Problem For Workplace Discrimination Law
- "Where's the beef?..."
- "Your statement is outrageous. What mistake have I made? Please elaborate. The scientists quoted..."
- "I think that is due to the Winnower being in Beta. ..."
- "Jon, I think that with all due respect you have made a serious mistake with this article which..."
- "I am a leftist. I am for a revenue-nuetral carbon tax. Having the CO2 externalities part of the..."
- Environmental 'tipping points' key to predicting extinctions
- Penn team's game theory analysis shows how evolution favors cooperation's collapse
- Wireless electronic implants stop staph, then dissolve
- JAX research team identifies new mechanism for misfolded proteins in heart disease
- Toxin targets discovered