Last week I flew to Dallas, Texas to do a spot for a pilot program on The Blaze Network, started by conservative political commentator Glenn Beck.
I had successfully managed to avoid television and instead took more than my share of radio interviews I could do in my pajamas, while my co-author Alez Berezow did the appearances on MSNBC, FOX, C-SPAN, etc. and invariably got insulted for it by people who never actually read the book. As a result, we had only done one radio appearance together (and that only 10 days ago) and no television. But the folks at The Blaze really liked the book, so much they were willing to pay double the travel expenses and, since we didn't have any joint TV appearances, I got up at 4:30 AM and flew to Dallas for 3.5 hours, did the taping and then flew back.
Why wouldn't I get a hotel? I have talked before about this weird neuroscience glitch I have - though someone may tell me where I am going, I pay no attention until I am pulling up to the airport, and sometimes I even hear a different city. Dallas was mentioned half a dozen times or more, yet mentally I heard 'Phoenix' and so I declined their offer of a hotel because Phoenix was a short flight. Then the plane went to Dallas and so I rolled back in around midnight.
When we got to their studios, they asked us to do an additional segment. The segment we flew there to do does not air until this weekend but the bonus spot aired that day and they sent me a clip I could embed here (the network itself, except radio, is subscriber-only).
Stu and Pat are good guys with terrific senses of humor and the entire crew treated science like it should be treated - awesomely. And I thank them for showing us such a good time.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Science Left Behind: The Anti-Vaccine Update Update
- Moderate Pot Use By Adolescents Doesn't Hurt IQ
- What Americans Fear Most Isn't Ebola Or Terrorism, It's...
- Finding Fracking Fluids In The Environment
- Ashes And Vegetables: The Diet Of Roman Gladiators Was Rather Poor
- Manly Men And Feminine Women Are Not Evolutionary Mandates - They Are Urban Ones
- Dopamine Receptor Agonist Drugs Linked To Gambling And Hypersexuality
- "why are you in all the arguments? Teach me how to get into more arguments. Also, teach me wft to..."
- "So if spirituality is selected for, that has nothing to do with evolution. If that is the case..."
- "said the unscientifically backed atheist to the other atheist..."
- "Obviously, rather than embracing the fact that humans are irrational and admiring the results,..."
- "I find this debate between two relatively learned people humorous. Atenism, whatever it is, died..."
- An end to fat shaming? The 50 year DNA mystery of metabolic dysfunction may soon be solved
- Egg freezing: a smart career move?
- Despite resistance, China will dominate future of GMOs
- Should Science and Nature run advertorial by wacky Dr. Bronner’s that misleads on GMOs?
- Jack the Ripper’s identity remains a mystery after error in DNA analysis revealed
- Seed patent primer: Is the use of GMOs preventing farmers from reusing their seeds?
- Teenage self-harm linked to problems in later life
- Unsteady on your feet? Little touches could make all the difference
- Promising blood biomarkers identified for colorectal cancer: Is a screening blood test within reach?
- Studies must be carried out to determine whether exercise slows the onset of type 1 diabetes in children and adults
- Clot dissolver tPA's tardy twin could aid in stroke recovery