Last week I flew to Dallas, Texas to do a spot for a pilot program on The Blaze Network, started by conservative political commentator Glenn Beck.
I had successfully managed to avoid television and instead took more than my share of radio interviews I could do in my pajamas, while my co-author Alez Berezow did the appearances on MSNBC, FOX, C-SPAN, etc. and invariably got insulted for it by people who never actually read the book. As a result, we had only done one radio appearance together (and that only 10 days ago) and no television. But the folks at The Blaze really liked the book, so much they were willing to pay double the travel expenses and, since we didn't have any joint TV appearances, I got up at 4:30 AM and flew to Dallas for 3.5 hours, did the taping and then flew back.
Why wouldn't I get a hotel? I have talked before about this weird neuroscience glitch I have - though someone may tell me where I am going, I pay no attention until I am pulling up to the airport, and sometimes I even hear a different city. Dallas was mentioned half a dozen times or more, yet mentally I heard 'Phoenix' and so I declined their offer of a hotel because Phoenix was a short flight. Then the plane went to Dallas and so I rolled back in around midnight.
When we got to their studios, they asked us to do an additional segment. The segment we flew there to do does not air until this weekend but the bonus spot aired that day and they sent me a clip I could embed here (the network itself, except radio, is subscriber-only).
Stu and Pat are good guys with terrific senses of humor and the entire crew treated science like it should be treated - awesomely. And I thank them for showing us such a good time.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Global 'Roadmap' Shows Where To Put Roads Without Costing The Earth
- Neil Tyson On The Politics Of Science Denial
- Synaptic Plasticity And Memory In Silent Neurons
- Low Carb Vs. Low Fat Diets: Which Is Better?
- Wockhardt Is First Indian Pharmaceutical Company To Get FDA QIDP Status
- How The Higgs Became The Target Of Run 2 At The Tevatron
- Brain Size Matters When It Comes To Remembering
- "That's why I deleted the comment Robert! I had just read an article about people beheading and..."
- "So ignore the data that shows the Antarctic breaking ice extent records. Ignore the water displacement..."
- "You don't think science media is a lot better about calling out anti-science on both political..."
- "From what I have seen over the years on Science 2.0 I regard LagrangiansForBreakfast and Ed brown..."
- "Edison's superior lamp filament was made of carbon, not tungsten. In 1906, the General Electric..."
- NYU study compares consequences of teen alcohol and marijuana use
- Discovery hints at why stress is more devastating for some
- Simple awareness campaign in general practice identifies new cases of AF
- ROCKET AF trial suggests that digoxin increases risk of death in AF patients
- Health structures explain nearly 20 percent of non-adherence to heart failure guidelines